Is Phineas and Ferb experiencing a small, slow nostalgic vindication?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Mar 1, 2018
Ratings
41 1
In the late 2000s and early 2010s, Phineas and Ferb was the most popular animated show on television second to Family Guy and routinely rivaled SpongeBob in the ratings. People considered it to be a ray of hope for animation, because most of what was on at the time were either shows that had overstayed their welcome or just appealed to kids, and for it's time, and before large fanbases were a thing, had a considerably wide fanbase.

But by 2013 and 2014, around the time Gravity Falls and other shows came around, the show had garnered huge backlash and many people were complaining about how repetitive and bland it was, and that it kept explaining the jokes, using fourth wall humor too much, and Disney was overexposing it. Many of the people who did like it abandoned ship and refused to admit they ever liked it. It was very rare to visit a site without seeing someone bash it. When the crossovers were announced, people were ready to jump on them and pounce on them, which was enough for Dan and Swampy Marsh to put a disclaimer on the Star Wars special explaining that it wasn't canon. It was one of the most hated cartoons of all time, with only Johnny Test getting more ire. No cartoon I can think of has had a backlash as bad as PAF, other than The Fairly Odd Parents. Family Guy had also gotten similar backlash around the same time for the same reasons as Phineas and Ferb, but not quite as bad. By the time it had ended, most people were glad to see it gone and it was considered laughable if you still enjoyed PAF or Family Guy.

But a little while after it ended, it seems the popular consencus has turned and the general reaction towards the show has turned more positive. When people talk about the show, it's always in good spirits and mostly talk about how intelligent it was and there have even been memes as of late expressing that people miss the show. Even Mr Enter gave the show a positive review. When the Milo Murphy crossover was announced, the consencus has been met with more excitement than hatred compared to the other two crossovers, and people were hyped for the 10th anniversary. It's not to the extent of Hannah Montana and High School Musical, but it looks like Phineas and Ferb is having a slow, but sure nostalgic revival.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,273 4
Framingham, MA
The voices on the show are obnoxious. I can sit down and watch it if I focus on it, but the noises coming from the TV are far too obnoxious for me to listen to it in the background. Which is the mark of a bad cartoon.

For the record, Johnny Test, Ed, Edd, and Eddy, Robot Chicken, and Mr. Pickles share this exact problem, although I'll acknowledge those shows are to the Nth degree and this is not.

On the plus side, the action sequences are absolutely amazing. It shocks me a bit how well boarded and animated they are. They could give any given superhero cartoon I can think of lessons in how to do that properly.

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,065 36 1
Austin, Texas
I have seen friends of mine that have returned to watching the series, especially the latter end of the show. As for me, I haven't seen much else other than the first season, I always plan to see more episodes but I never get the time. Otherwise somethings I did enjoy about the show, but yeah Phineas voice upon puberty sure did give me a different feel for Phineas, when I sporadically did see other episodes randomly.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Mar 11, 2005
Ratings
1,468 8
California, USA
adultswim.toonzone.net
I'll admit that I didn't watch P&F till after it ended. I spent a couple of weeks in late 2015 binge-watching all 4 seasons, and you know what? I quite liked it. I can't believe I missed out on this show when it was still airing. The songs are catchy, the boys' inventions are creative, and it's pretty dang funny.

I can totally see why fans would turn their back on the series. The overexposure certainly ruined its reputation, and the show always retained a formula and status quo that didn't seem worthy of waiting for new episodes. It wasn't like Gravity Falls where there was anticipation of plot developments; it was just more of the same story being recycled repeatedly.

I personally feel like binge-watching really is the best way to view this show rather than in incremental chunks like on TV. I didn't watch this show when it was new, so I didn't have that same feeling of fatigue and disappointment that the show's fans had accumulated over time.

Mar 1, 2018
Ratings
41 1
I don't think it was as overexposed as other cartoons like Rugrats, The Simpsons, SpongeBob or Family Guy were, so I don't understand why people complain about it being overexposed. The close they got to was Mission Marvel, which is where the show got ahead of itself. What didn't help was that Gravity Falls killed it's popularity because it had more to offer than Phineas and Ferb did. Phineas and Ferb was popular for a while, but there's only so much you can do with the formula before a burnout. I think now that it's ended and no longer in production, people can reminisce and remember PAF for how good it was than overmilked it was in the last few years.