"Infinite Crisis" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by EinBebop, Oct 8, 2005.

1. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

Very true, but that was the case for Crisis on Infinite Earths and is generally true for these big events in general. Whether that's a good or bad or irrelevant thing is left as an exercise for the reader to decide. My feeling is that these kinds of fanboy-intensive comics aren't a problem as long as they don't completely overwhelm the line.

I've already said this to Knux, but I'll cop to it publicly on this thread as well: I'm actually rather impressed with Infinite Crisis. I'm still not buying it, but I've been quite happy with what I've read and I'll most likely pick up the eventual trade. Although it is expressly intended for people who know DC Comics inside and out, if you can make peace with that it's a pretty solid story. It's better than the original Crisis in nearly every way that matters: it manages to focus on a narrower cast of characters, it hits emotional notes better, it has better villains, and its metatextual elements give it a depth Crisis on Infinite Earths didn't possess. It's far short of my ideal comic, and it's definitely hampered by how tied in it is to a million other books, but as these sorts of things go it's pretty strong.

2. JohnCrichton

JohnCrichton An astronaut!

How Superboy went down was pathetic. I'm sorry, but crashing into Prime and then busting up the tower? There had to be a better way. I hate to sound all "Everything Japanese is better!" but I can't help but think his fall could've been done soooooooooo much better if it had been a manga or anime. The look of peace and knowing as he finally understands something bigger than himself. Instead he's like, "Shut up, retard! Aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhh!!!!!! Bang, frell, I'm dead! Isn't it cool?" Superboy was one of my favorite DCU characters and it just really bugs me that they took him down like this. And Prime is still alive?!!?? GAH! That sucks. And that awesome cover above reminds me why I stopped reading American superhero comics. That cover didn't even happen!

Him just wearing a t-shirt and jeans doesn't make him grown up in my opinion. Everyone wears a super cotume in that universe. It's a bad and uniform of honor. I liked how he used to be. Superboy was fun. What I've seen him as lately just turned him into... I dunno, but not the superhero I enjoyed.

And now he's dead. Hmph. :shrug:

3. Agent S7

Agent S7 Destined to Rock

Agreed entirely. I mean, entirely.There's no way in hell I'm going to buy Villians United (well, maybe), OMAC Project, Rahhn Thanagar War or Day of Vengeance (Not for A THOUSAND talking monkeys!). But overall I am impressed. When I bought the first and second issue I was very disappointed and decided not to read it. But when my friend lended me issues 3-5 I was stunned by the quality and by how well-written it was.

Therefore, while I'm NOT going to buy the rest of the issues (with the exception of #6) I am almost certainly going to get the TPB. It's a good story, and one I think will, for once, actually permanently alter the DCU.

~s7

4. Chad Bonin

Chad Bonin a.k.a. Knux Five
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Now, here's the tricky thing that DC pulled with the Infinite Crisis #6 Jim Lee cover.

In the solicits (and the image above), it is Superman's red cape with yellow logo waving in the background.

On the actual issue, it is SuperBOY'S black shirt with red logo waving in the background.

Sneaky move, DC.

5. melibell21

melibell21 She's a marshmallow

awesome issue! i can really see this series wrapping up.

can anyone explain:

the significance of the two earths that made the "new earth" equaling 616?

anyways, great job, johns! cant wait for the last issue. conner's death was so moving. i cried:crying:

6. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

From Troy Brownfield's review of the issue over at Newsarama, (and I see no reason to put a spoiler box on this):

And if you don't get that: Marvel's been doing the number designation for their worlds for years...the "regular" Marvel Universe has long been referred to as Earth-616...

7. melibell21

thanks

8. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Did anyone find it odd the Superboy was able to bloody SBP's nose? I guess it could be explained away that the suit he was wearing hadnt fulled powered him up. Remember this is the guy that can move planets.

9. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

Theres that

I also like to think that Superboy tshirt was just going all out with everything he had and it was just enough to bloody Prime.

10. wonderfly

So can someone answer me this:

I thought the "One Year Later" was supposed to occur between issues 5 and 6 of this miniseries? Why has the rest of the DC Universe jumped one year ahead, when the miniseries itself hasn't jumped ahead? Shouldn't they have waited till the end of the miniseries to do the OYL jump?

11. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Because enough information was had that the jump was possible. Sure there's some untold things in the OYL books, but that will slowly be revealed, either in the title, or through IC #6 and 7.

12. melibell21

just to clarify

the order of books in dc continuity:

infinite crisis 1 -7
    oyl

and yea, they probably should have waited til the end of infinite crisis to release oyl, it probably would have lessened a lot of the confusion.

13. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

First of all, you're dismissing the biggest benefit: no more crossovers, save a special or two. :)

Secondly, it creates a new layer of intrigue: every book popped us forward one year, leaving a lot of unanswered questions: What happened to Superman's powers? Why aren't Dick and Barbara married? Why'd Bruce, Dick, and Tim take a year-long sabbatical, and what did they do there? Who knocked up Catwoman? And so on... Each character has been through changes as a result of Infinite Crisis, and we don't necessarily know what caused these major choices. Some will be explained in their own time in their own books, while others were to unfold in the remaining issues of Infinite Crisis and '52', and then we can all say, "Oh, THAT'S what happened!"

14. wonderfly

But this couldn't have waited till after Issue #7?!? From the way OYL was solicitated, I really thought the one year jump happened between Issues 5 and 6...

In fact, releasing these OYL titles before Issue #7 kinda kills any suspense about what happens in the final issue of this miniseries. Take for example Robin: if he's appearing in the current OYL storyline in the Batman titles, then he must survive whatever happens in the final issue.

Did the OYL issue of Teen Titans ship before Issue #6 of Identity Crisis? If so, then did it give away that Superboy wasn't around anymore?

15. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Same week. They actually didn't have a OYL story last month, but rather a story that ran parallel to IC #5.

16. Borg4of3

Borg4of3 Slish Slash Slosh!

Whether DC planned for OYLs to be released after Ish 5 or not originally, they're making due pretty well not revealing anything important. Still, as each IC ish comes along, they're allowed more leeway at revelations (i.e, Conner's death is only a point in the OYL ishes after IC6 was out, and while we saw Robin was revealed to be alive OYL, we didn't know whether it was Tim, Dick, or Jason until recently) Sometimes they're ways of avoiding spoiling future IC titles, and sometimes they're simply there to tease and raise further curiosity about the OYL DCU and how these characters changed over the year.

After IC7, we'll see a lot more of the changes (like why and how exactly the Big Three disappeared), and I imagine 52 will simply clear in the gaps. It is a confusing, non-chronological set up, but, despite its problems and a few less-than-steller titles (which probably would be that way whether IC was going on or not), it works pretty well, and we do get some good things here and there, and hopefully more as more shows up.

17. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Well, that was wholly underwhelming. I'm trying to remember parts of the book to talk about while the issue is in another room, but nothing really stuck out to me. The Joker scene, perhaps. Otherwise, I feel the series went out with a whimper, not a bang.

18. DR.MID-NITE

DR.MID-NITE The Original

I agree. But, the Joker/Lex ending nearly made up for it. A couple of questions...

Did Wonder Woman loose her ability to fly? She had to take the invisible plane. Also, did Supes loose his powers in this issue?

Finally, the evil-Superboy. Just shows you how absolutely powerful Superman could be if he ever really let loose.

19. J-Ranger

J-Ranger John Stewart

No WW can still fly, it is just more convient for her to take her plane. Supes did lose his powers in this issue, although they didn't address it. He lost them by flying through a red sun and all that kryptonite. He needs to re-absorb yellow sun to maintain his powers again, hence why he got them back recently in OYL.

20. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

Okay, I'm a little confused. It was a fantastic book, especially once you go beyond the first two issues, however, what exactly did it do? NOTHING changed. Yeah, Superboy is dead, but Robin is already cloning him. So, what did this thing change in the DC universe?