I miss the old Boomerang.

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by dprboy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. dprboy

dprboy Member

I loved Boomerang before the rebrand. They used to have NO commercials, show MORE cartoons between shows, and run the original credits without interruption. I used to watch Boomerang a lot. I. liked their music videos, especially the Spanish Quick Draw McGraw one. I know they’re uploaded to YouTube, but it’s just not the same as watching them on the channel. What are your thoughts? Do you miss the old channel?

2. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I even miss the old Boomerang Europe (before at least 2012), it was also witty and that, but returning the format to the actual channel is impossible.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sadly the channel never really had much going for It other than airing old shows. Good idea but at the same time it wasn't going to work forever.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Gooood kittyyyy

Even when the old channel had all the classics and variety, they kept numerous of the same shows on for long periods of time such as how we more or less have it now. Still remembered the (lite?) spamming the original Wacky Races and Penelope Pitstop got for usually airing 1-2x a day. Both had went on for some years at the 17 episodes they were at. Not just those two which stick out in my mind the most but others as well, and were gradually removed and brought back later at different times or just removed. Then came the start of non-HB and newer HB content making their Boom debuts - in which some of them - even CN originals lasted a good chunk of years (Cow & Chicken, Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo to name 3)

As for as no commercials went, given it was a channel of classics I can understand why there wasn't a push for ads as those sponsors would be paying for ad-space during long-time reruns. At this rate even the Boom today could pass up ads again for the limits they have to play many premiers. Also given toward original Booms final years, were seeing the same interstitial programming + other created bumpers and etc a lot as well which I grew exhausted of.

This day in age with apps n stuff is a tricky one toward linear tv for sure. Still doesn't mean Boom can't give some of those app shows that aren't T&J, LT or SD movies a dose of linear time even if kept to a weekend basis. I think a mere 2 hours a week (per original but not necessarily all) would suffice and give meaning to sponsors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. dprboy

dprboy Member

i know its impossible, but i loved the old format. the wind-up toys... Boomeraction, Boomeroyality, Those Meddling Kids... the main announcer

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dprboy

dprboy Member

oh! thats why there were no ads for a couple years when it was the old Boomerang!

7. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Sadly I never had Boomerang. It sounds like old Toon Disney or Nicktoons.

8. mqg96

mqg96 Active Member

I miss Boomerang too, but times have changed. Reruns of old cartoons on cable TV have died off. Toon Disney and Nicktoons (before Nicktoons Network) suffered the same fate. We're lucky that we still have NickSplat on TeenNick.

9. homeofthebadguys

homeofthebadguys New Member

That seems more to do with advertisers than anything, as re-runs of old, high-quality content on pay-TV don't seem to please them anymore as advertisers believe that stuff is worthy of the air, which brings up the question of why there hasn't been a kids network for the air with older content to rival Qubo?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Like Boomerang The Splat also sees the same cons as the former.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

The Those Meddling Kids promos were used on Boomerang Europe too, who also recycled old CN Europe promos only by editing the endboard to fit in with Boomerang's look.

12. mqg96

mqg96 Active Member

I mean even nowadays when a modern show airs its series finale, they permanently take it off the air in a heartbeat. Like Regular Show for example. Sure, you still have Regular Show On Demand which is good, but it hasn't been on the main schedule one time since the series finale which is barely advertised (including series finales for other shows as well). When Dexter's Lab originally ended in 1998 the network continued to air reruns consistently like the show was still going on and due to its high ratings it was revived in 2001. It was a different era in society of course.

You could make a comparison to sitcoms from the 90's compared to drama/sci-fi/action shows from today. I don't know if I'm explaining this the best way, but CW shows like Arrow or ABC shows like Once Upon A Time, they only air the new episode on the channel once, then after that, it goes to Netflix for everybody to catch up on reruns they missed. When it came to sitcoms or any TV show from the past, after they aired new episodes they kept rerunning old episodes on the same network over and over again at different time slots, then they syndicated reruns on other networks that were easy to find. So reruns of shows in general aren't popular on cable anymore, that's what streaming services are for.