I Learned Something Today

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
I learned that Hamilton might play in movie theaters in 2020.
eep! This is exciting news!

This is kind of ironic actually, as Lin-Manuel stated previously that a movie may not be made for years yet, as most movie musicals based on stage shows take over a decade to materialize, even though Cabaret, Hairspray, and Grease among others were released within a decade of their musical's first appearance on Broadway. And Come from Away already got a movie deal not even a year after it premiered. Go figure.

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,448 67 1
Belgium
Is it true that most Americans have a nickname? And that you guys hate squirrels? Apparantly they make a lot of trouble and Americans try to hit them with their car when they see one on the road. ("Kill it! Kill it!") I know someone who used to live around Texas and he said that :sweat:

I only know a few people with nicknames (like, for instance, people with terrible real names), and squirrels are generally loved here. ("I saw a squirrel, I saw a squirrel!")

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,278 4
177A Bleecker Street

Justin Trudeau got to meet Wolverine and Jubilee's 90s voice actors.

Is it true that most Americans have a nickname? And that you guys hate squirrels? Apparantly they make a lot of trouble and Americans try to hit them with their car when they see one on the road. ("Kill it! Kill it!") I know someone who used to live around Texas and he said that :sweat:

I only know a few people with nicknames (like, for instance, people with terrible real names), and squirrels are generally loved here. ("I saw a squirrel, I saw a squirrel!").
Are nicknames just a American thing? Ive several in my lifetime, though they were either when I was a kid or given to me by kids.

From my experience, a lot more people would try to avoid an animal they see in the road than try to deliberately hit it, unless it's a dire situation. I can't imagine why people would have it out for squirrels, of all animals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Red Arrow

Proud Beneluxer
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,448 67 1
Belgium
The US hasn't updated the health warnings on cigarette packs in 31 years

USA cigarette packages don't have warning pictures? Really?
Why is the use of tobacco so low in the USA then... I guess we're just stupid.

Belgian cigarette packages are hilariously disgusting. There is one with a couple and they're holding a dead baby. Or a woman with a hole in her neck. Or someone who's coughing blood. Or a picture of a smoker's lungs.

It also says "Roken is dodelijk / Fumer tue / RAUCHEN IST TÖDLICH". Try to read that without doing a Hitler voice.

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
770 7
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
Today I learned, when the radio mike is off, Delilah swears like a sailor.

Lights Out, as it was originally called, aired from 10 p.m. to midnight. When the ratings came back positive, the network gave it an extra three hours. By 1990, she had the most popular evening show in the region, drawing more listeners than any other DJ at her otherwise struggling station. The station hired a consultant to help break the slump.

"The consultant did a report where he said that Delilah 'is the tail wagging the dog,'" she remembers. "'If you're ever going to have success on this station, you need to get rid of her.' I said, 'You gotta be ****** kidding me! I'm number one, the rest of your day parts suck, so the way to make them successful is to have something ****** on at night?'" Her personality was thought to be overshadowing the rest of the DJs.
I mean, I had long suspected it, but it's still jarring.