I Learned Something Today

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
753 7
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
I learned that The Boxcar Children received a prequel a few years ago. Did you ever read it, Peter?
Ah, guess what? Today I learned the original 1924 version explains what happened to the parents. Well, the father anyway. It's...eye-opening.

About seven o'clock one hot summer evening a strange family moved into the little village of Middlesex. Nobody knew where they came from, or who they were. But the neighbors soon made up their minds what they thought of the strangers, for the father was very drunk. He could hardly walk up the rickety front steps of the old tumble-down house, and his thirteen-year-old son had to help him. Toward eight o'clock a pretty, capable-looking girl of twelve came out of the house and bought a loaf of bread at the baker's. And that was all the villagers learned about the newcomers that night.

"There are four children," said the bakeshop woman to her husband the next day, "and their mother is dead. They must have some money, for the girl paid for the bread with a dollar bill."

"Make them pay for everything they get," growled the baker, who was a hard man. "The father is nearly dead with drink now, and soon they will be only beggars."

This happened sooner than he thought. The next day the oldest boy and girl came to ask the bakeshop woman to come over. Their father was dead.
"You know, for kids!"

Wonder if any of that was in the prequel.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
If you read the prequel, I'd like to know how it compares to how you imagined the Boxcar Children lived before their parents died. I don't think I ever tried to imagine that myself.

In other news, I learned that TVShowsOnDVD shut down their website, which might make it harder to update "Coming to DVD: Never". (I haven't checked in a while if you updated the Fox Kids section with post-2010 events.)

Peter Paltridge

Ay Carumba
Staff member
Sep 24, 2003
Ratings
753 7
Stars Hollow
www.platypuscomix.net
In other news, I learned that TVShowsOnDVD shut down their website, which might make it harder to update "Coming to DVD: Never". (I haven't checked in a while if you updated the Fox Kids section with post-2010 events.)
Yeah, this isn't good. A quick glance on Google reveals there are still a few sites that cover home media releases, but not as elegantly or as simply. It's impossible to load a page that's just a list of things. And none of them specifically cover TV shows.

By the way, the reason there hasn't been a new "Things You Can't Ever Have" in a long time is because eBay changed their recommendation algorithm. If you visited the page for a game you'd get linked to all sorts of game-related things, not just more games like the one you're looking at. Does anyone know a better way to search that site? Keep in mind I mean "search" as in "stumble upon things I don't know exist and therefore can't specifically search for."

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
Yeah, this isn't good. A quick glance on Google reveals there are still a few sites that cover home media releases, but not as elegantly or as simply. It's impossible to load a page that's just a list of things. And none of them specifically cover TV shows.

By the way, the reason there hasn't been a new "Things You Can't Ever Have" in a long time is because eBay changed their recommendation algorithm. If you visited the page for a game you'd get linked to all sorts of game-related things, not just more games like the one you're looking at. Does anyone know a better way to search that site? Keep in mind I mean "search" as in "stumble upon things I don't know exist and therefore can't specifically search for."
Maybe mose around the "Video Game Memorabilia" section? You'll definitely find a few gems there. Such as this 3D-printed Nuka-Cola blaster replica from Fallout 4:

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
If you ever update the Fox Kids section of "Coming to DVD: Never" with post-2010 events (eg, Disney selling Power Rangers back to Saban), do you plan to take into account shows available digitally, but not physically (such as every Spider-Man: The Animated Series episode that Disney never put on DVD)?

twilicorn

HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER
Dec 4, 2015
Ratings
SO MUCH PAIN
Also, The Muppet Show proper is getting less and less likely to have its last two seasons on DVD. Season 4 was announced at D23 almost a decade ago, we got a cover design and that's it. You'd say music rights are the problem here, but that didn't stop them from releasing the first three seasons with the only removals being a few songs in season 1.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
When I wrote a list of Shout!/Disney DVD/Blu-Ray releases I hope follow Gravity Falls (which I've already preordered, after watching only a few episodes elsewhere), The Muppet Show seasons four and five, and an uncut re-release of S1, made the top of the list.

Dsneybuf

Sep 22, 2011
Ratings
www.youtube.com
I wanted that post to mark the last time I brought it up, regardless of whether or not it brought about any change, but I just found it odd that other parts of the article have undergone updates (eg, The Real Ghostbusters section disappearing after Time/Life released their complete series DVD), yet eight years and counting have gone by without the Fox Kids section getting touched. The Power Rangers TV rights reference looks like a small anachronism in the grand scheme, but I didn't think it would take this long to delete it.

Anyway, even if Disney and Fox merge, I swear not to pester Peter anymore about it; I think he already declined my offer to help gather new info.

Last edited: