I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I learned that Chris Wyatt, a writer for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters, also produced Napoleon Dynamite. I guess that explains why Jon Heder voiced the Flex Fighters' first enemy (who I don't think sounds like Napoleon Dynamite).

• Like Like x 1
  2. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I learned that a Coca-Cola employee was fired for being engaged to a Pepsi employee in 1985 (this is as close as we'll get to a true real-life Romeo and Juliet story).

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow. I've been looking for the answer to this one for a LONG time:

There's an animated film out there that has a sequence where two people are underwater. One of them sees a sunken can with a label that has a picture of the can printed on it. This causes a Droste Effect of the can repeating itself into infinity. One of the people stares at the can and then the camera zooms into it, going into cans over and over and over and over.....

I was convinced this bizarre visual happened in the Raggedy Ann and Andy movie. It would take Richard Williams to come up with something that trippy, right? But then I saw the entire movie again and the scene never turned up.

Tonight I found out the name of the actual movie: "The Mouse And His Child." The people were mice, and the can was "Bonzo Dog Food." Also, apparently this is the one solitary scene from the film everybody remembers, myself included. Nothing else about the movie was memorable except for that can!

4. twilicorn

I think your confusion stems from the fact that both movies were released in the same year.
    Also, the book that inspired the movie was written by Russell Hoban, who also wrote the book Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas, which, incidentally, also was adapted in 1977, this time into a TV special. If there's anyone here who hasn't seen it, I strongly encourage you to check it out. Of course, it's nowhere near as trippy as The Mouse And His Child, but it's beautiful and has some really catchy songs that'll stick with you for a long time (in a good way, of course).
    And the dog food scene reminded me of a scene from Wander Over Yonder in which Wander takes a peek into the box he was supposed to deliver and sees a Droste image of himself that zooms in, sort of like in that movie, kicking off a Disney Acid Sequence. I referenced it in a YTP collab I took part in (the scene starts at 5:36):

5. twilicorn

6. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Turns out there's a technical name for the art style used on so many consumer products in the 1980s (bold patterns, big shapes and bright colors). It's called the "Memphis Design" because it was popularized by the Italian design collective Memphis Milano. Who knew it had a name?

• Like Like x 1