1. Enter for a chance to win the Captain America Blaster Shield and two POP Vinyl figures from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Odd. It's there and working for me.

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

If you close and re-open the window after you hit "save", can you still see your draft? I can't see mine.

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can still see it.

4. Dsneybuf

If you can't tell, I'm talking about the private conversations you can have with other users here, not threads like this one.

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, that's what I was testing, though now that I think about it, I'm not sure how much it has to do with me being a moderator.

6. Dsneybuf

I wonder if it ruined anything if I started the draft on my computer, then tried to use my phone to open it again a day or two later.

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah. It seems to automatically clear after 24 hours (that happened to me once). I'm not just talking about conversations, either.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I learned recently that Sonic's real name is "Ogilvie Maurice the Hedgehog", which someone described as "the meaning of knowing too much".

9. pacman000

pacman000 Member

I just learned that that's part of Archie Comic's Sonic series.

10. twilicorn

I also learned fairly recently that Ron Howard based his kids' middle names on the location they were conceived. For example, Bryce Dallas Howard was so named because she was conceived in Dallas, and two of his other kids have "Carlyle" as their middle names because they were both conceived at the Carlyle Hotel.

11. Dsneybuf

I learned that "Thunder" received a Grammy nomination for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, even though it sounds terrible even by Imagine Dragons standards (speaking as someone who actually does love their music most of the time).:sad:

#371 Dsneybuf, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Natch -- Grammys are a popularity contest, just like most music awards shows are. To be fair and just, they would have to listen to every single song written in the last twelve months. No one's got time for that, so they stick to the most popular ones.

13. twilicorn

That said I'm half-hoping for Redbone to win if only because of all those "What Redbone would sound like if..." videos and that it might push Donald Glover a bit closer to that coveted EGOT status. (That and it's a really kickin' song.)
    I remember having posted here about Beyonce submitting one of her songs for Best Country Song last year, but it was rejected even though she had another song submitted for Best Rock Song (that one DID get through but it lost to Bowie).

14. Dsneybuf

Anyway, even if "Thunder" somehow wins that Grammy, I hope it doesn't ruin future music historians' chances of realizing that it doesn't really provide a good demonstration of ID at their personal best. (Sticking only to songs they released in the year 2017, "Walking the Wire", "Whatever It Takes", and "Mouth of the River" became my favorites from them, although Evolve as a whole doesn't sound like their best album.)

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I learned that storing peanut butter upside down removes the oil from the top.

16. twilicorn

I just learned that there's a form of kryptonite (pink krpytonite, to be exact) that can make Superman gay. Kryptonite apparently comes in a ton of different forms and they're all insane.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Wait, Pink Kryptonite is canon? I heard about it years ago and thought someone was just making a joke. We have a loophole for the fan-demanded Kara/Lena episode.

18. Dsneybuf

I learned the identity of Randy Newman's uncle - Alfred Newman, who wrote a lot of music for 20th Century Fox, including their fanfare.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dsneybuf

Weird that they nominated the second-most popular Imagine Dragons song of 2017 over their first-most popular, then (going by Billboard Year-End 100). Sure, "Believer" might've kept playing in places where it didn't belong (Riverdale, Murder on the Orient Express), but I can't understand how that suddenly makes "Thunder" a good song.

20. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1