How the AT&T and time warner merger will affect cartoon network?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

thomas2313412

Nov 9, 2011
Ratings
161 5
Now that the AT&T and time warner merger is official ,This made me wonder if it affect all of its assets including Cartoon Network.

I mean think about it with that merger perhaps maybe Cartoon network will go back to 24 minute cartoons and probably get their own official streaming service with the help of AT&T ,Am I right?

May 12, 2018
Ratings
58 6
Pennsylvania
I am worried that they might make it an internet cable exclusive to DirecTV Now. Currently its on Sling, PlayStation Vue, and DirecTV Now. AT&T owns DirecTV Now.

I.R. Shokew

DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs
Sep 26, 2011
Ratings
1,709 7
Who wants to find me that badly anymore?
I'll believe it when I see it. As far as I'm concerned, mergers like these always tend to lead to negative changes, loss of jobs, and loss of competence, as well as confidence from a viewerbase that can only stand for so much change.

Too bad CN could use some changes to the way they're doing things, but whatever.

LinusFan303

A fan of Charlie Brown and Linus
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
740 5
Colorado
Who knows? When Comcast took over NBC they kind of improved it and it's local stations where they hired more. Took out some of the lower rated "deadweight" cable channels , improved Telemundo. In speaking of that I wish they were forced to do again what Comcast was forced to do , not have NBCU networks (including the ones that were originally owned by Comcast) be Xfinity exclusive. It's hard to know what they want to do with any of the Turner networks they may want to keep some status quo more than shake it up. The fact that CN already focuses on streaming in the first place plays into AT&T's possible agenda for Time Warner in the first place.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,524 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
CN might be left alone, they might makr CN convert into an a generic kids channel with live action shows. Or everything might be done I’m Flash from here on out to cut down on costs.

It’s too early to tell, that’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LinusFan303

A fan of Charlie Brown and Linus
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
740 5
Colorado
Judging by them keeping CNN's head in charge at least until 2020 , maybe AT&T would rather be consistent than shake things up. Cartoon Network also seems to have long term plans that they made knowing that merger was still a possibility I don't think the new owners are going to "welp, we here now so let's mess this up" They may actually work on devolving the Turner networks into streaming services that so happen to be data free on AT&T's network. They seemingly wanted Time Warner because it had content, they had content providing system already so I don't think they are going to mess that up.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
Jul 29, 2017
Ratings
305 7
They may actually work on devolving the Turner networks into streaming services that so happen to be data free on AT&T's network. They seemingly wanted Time Warner because it had content, they had content providing system already so I don't think they are going to mess that up.
1. AT&T better make those Turner networks into live streaming services!

2. They wanted Time Warner also because they want to compete with services like Netflix.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Ratings
2,262 92
Cartoon Headquarters
Alive? Sure. Profitable? Hard to say.

I think this merger will result in CN US focusing even more on VOD and streaming. Apart from that possibly also getting a bigger budget for more shows and their promotion in media and at events as well as getting more money from more ads.

As for CN overseas, possibly more local shows and local feeds.

Leviathan

"It's against nature!"
Staff member
It's not like CN/Turner is a money sink or anything. There's no real incentive for AT&T to drastically change things unless CN suddenly becomes a massive drag on their bottom line.

What I want to know is if AT&T will try and encourage more synergy between the different TW divisions and have them cooperate more.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,524 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
It's not like CN/Turner is a money sink or anything. There's no real incentive for AT&T to drastically change things unless CN suddenly becomes a massive drag on their bottom line.

What I want to know is if AT&T will try and encourage more synergy between the different TW divisions and have them cooperate more.
That would be great. I’ll always remember how a professor told me that Time Warner exists mostly for tax convenience, which is likely why the various subsidiaries don’t cooperate like the ones at Disney or Comcast.
More corporate synergy, and less forcing each other to pay for the rights to utilize each other’s properties would be great. Maybe then CN could treat WB Animation shows better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk