How many shows were directly "killed" by the Children's Television Act?

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by TMC1982, Oct 3, 2017.

1. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Quite honestly, you can consider most of the shows that aired on CBS in 1996-1997 to be victims of this, as the Children's Television Act, combined with CBS dropping two hours of their cartoon lineup in favor of news, resulted in a huge overhauls of their Saturday morning lineup the following year.

3. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

Another show who had fallen victim of this was short-lived "The Weird Al Show".

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Most original programming that aired in a channel block were the victims of this act, if it didn't happen then it would slowly lead to it.

5. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kiratto PriChan, On Air!

Sailor Moon added the Sailor Says segment to comply with the act, but was never rated E/I for whatever reason. A few years earlier, ABC aired CTW's Cro and Jim Henson's CityKids, which were educational shows made to fulfill the CTA. And as we all know, Histeria! was made for the sole purpose of fulfilling the E/I requirement.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

When Kim Possible aired on ABC, it was not designated E/I, and aired at noon, where it was prone to pre-emption for sports. Fillmore aired 3 hours earlier, was an E/I show, and lasted 2 1/2 seasons before being cancelled abruptly in favor of reruns of Even Stevens. The CTA reinforced what we already knew, that the networks still had to provide educational content in their Saturday programming, and that was until they all threw in the towel and said, screw that.

7. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

I wouldn't say that show fell victim of the CTA, as the show did manage to insert content that would give it the E/I rating (although, if you mean by victim of executive meddling because of it, then I could see what you mean). Rather, its problem had more to do with the how crappy CBS and the local stations handled the scheduling of the show and other programs during the 1997-1998 season (in my area, Weird Al didn't air until Sunday, and a number of shows like Wheel 2000 didn't even air at all).

8. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Nicktoons Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Basically any non-educational show airing on ABC or CBS, as they didn't have a weekday block to use for their three hours.

Sailor Moon aired in America before the CTA. The Sailor Says bits were just there to appease moral guardians. G.I. Joe, Jem and the Holograms, and The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog also had them.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

All of them, Charlie.

10. RandomMe

RandomMe Bloo

There was a time where KP was in syndication, at least KEYE in Austin aired it.

11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Must've been in limited markets, because there wasn't any syndication in upstate NY at that point.

12. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Kiratto PriChan, On Air!

I don't recall any syndicated airings in New York. Maybe it was either a test run or they showed ABC Kids programs on a CBS station (this has happened with Litton's Weekend Adventure and Kids' WB programs-in my area, they played Fox Kids and Kids WB on the same channel during its' last years!)

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

The funny thing is: the CTA was an attempt by the FCC to beat back all the toy-based hyper-commercial programs that proliferated through the 1980's, which were a direct result of the FCC relaxing regulations on such programs in the first place. First they broke it, then their "fix" made it worse.

14. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

Do you think that because of the Children's Television Act, Saturday Morning cartoon blocks had become obsolete at this point (well, except for Kids Click, which is actually running every morning).

15. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

That and stations opting for cheaper programming instead of cartoons.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

I guess it's true that most cartoons are expensive to make, especially back then, so having shows like the news and live action shows would probably be the cheapest way to go.