How come Nickelodeon treats many Nicktoons badly?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Rabbitearsblog, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Rabbitearsblog

Rabbitearsblog Well-Known Member

Ever since I grew up with Nickelodeon during the 1990s, I have noticed that Nickelodeon tends to treat some of their Nicktoons pretty badly (with the exceptions of Spongebob Squarepants, The Loud House, Rugrats and The Fairly Oddparents) and only treat the Nicktoons that bring in high ratings much better. For one thing, they had cancelled Invader Zim and Hey Arnold! early on (although, luckily they are both getting TV movies to make up for it) and the Angry Beavers and even years later, they are not giving their other Nicktoons (such as TUFF Puppy, Kung Fu Panda and Bunsen is a Beast) a chance to really hit it with the audience early on.

How come Nickelodeon has been treating many of their Nicktoons badly over the years and do you see any chance of Nickelodeon treating their Nicktoons a little better in the near future?

2. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

I think you kind of answered your own question. They want to focus on the shows that give them the best ratings, which is what shows like SpongeBob does. They would rather air the same episodes of the same shows over and over again, if it meant getting the best ratings. Even the NickSplat block is guilty of the same thing, seeing as how much they air Rugrats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Actually Fairly OddParents were recently shipped to Nicktoons earlier this year for second half of season 10 (possibly last season)

4. Rabbitearsblog

Oh, I've been hearing that Fairly Oddparents is doing poorly lately. Is that why Nickelodeon is moving it to Nicktoons?

5. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

yes that may be correct.. ratings for FOP for last season hasn't gotten good ratings, but still managed to stay at low 1 mil viewers on Nickelodeon.

6. Rabbitearsblog

Oh alright. Is the same thing happening to Bunsen is a Beast?

7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think its because fans have given Nickelodeon a bad vibe that if their show isn't viewed by many people then they clearly don't like it and will make petitions on wanting said show off the channel. If that is true its sad that their confidence in shows is low due to pressure that it has gotten due to fans of the channel which ultimately lead to other shows being doomed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rabbitearsblog

Especially when it seems that nowadays what the fans say really affects what the Networks do. I think it's because with the rise of the internet, fans can now voice their concerns about a certain TV series and sometimes they can doom a show if their negative reviews of the shows get the attention of most of the viewing audience and the audience end up not watching the shows because of the negative reviews.

9. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Because Nickelodeon likes to snub shows that aren't SBSP-level of popular.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it's moving to Nicktoons as well. FOP did get treated well for years, though.

I'm also not sure I'd say Hey Arnold! was cancelled early on. It did end on a cliffhanger, but it also got 5 seasons, so I think it had a good run.

And yeah, it seems Nick pretty much wants shows to get SpongeBob level ratings.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Rabbitearsblog

I've always thought that it was a bit unfair that Nickelodeon wants most of their shows to get Spongebob level ratings because some shows can't break a million that easily and sometimes, they need to give the show some time to develop with the audience. However, I do understand that Nickelodeon wants money, so if the show doesn't meet their standards, then they have to let it go, even though this will mean that many Nicktoons would get cancelled early on without really hitting it with the audience.

12. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

The SpongeBob standard.
    If the ratings are not as good as SpongeBob, cancel it.
    A fate only the Loud House was able to escape

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As everyone said, Spongebob’s huge success has left Nick with high expectations. Any show that fails to meet that will be moved aside rather quickly.
    It’s not fair or right at all, but in an era where TV ratings are falling fast, it’s kind of understandable. If anyone ever tunes in, you’d want them to see the show that’s almost guaranteed to keep them around.

It’s a really big deal that Nick finally has a new hit Nicktoon in The Loud House. Nick went through a lot of cartoons to find something that does as well as Spongebob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Rabbitearsblog

I agree. I was surprised that the Loud House became an instant hit, especially since Nickelodeon was struggling with finding the right Nicktoon that could possibly take Spongebob's place. I guess with the rise of online streaming, Nickelodeon had to have a hit series to save their channel, if they want to stay in business.

15. Eldorado

Eldorado Well-Known Member

Welcome To The Wayne's ratings may not be up there with SpongeBob but it is up there with The Loud House. I don't see why they need to treat it badly.

16. Rabbitearsblog

Did Nickelodeon move the show to Nicktoons?

17. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

For only reruns, but not the premieres. New episodes started on Nickelodeon. Reruns hasn't shown on main network since fall after new episode.

18. D-nice is the man.

Wayne's ratings aren't even close to what the Loud House gets. The highest the show got so far was 1.27 million, some of Bunsen Is a Beast's episodes scored higher than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rabbitearsblog

Which makes me curious about why Nickelodeon would move Bunsen is a Beast to Nicktoons if some of their ratings are higher than Wayne's, unless it's the whole "the show must meet 2 million views to succeed" thing that Nickelodeon has going on.

20. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

that seems to indeed be the case

• Agree Agree x 1