Hinton Animation

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Psycho Fox, May 1, 2001.

1. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

Back in the beggings of the 80's Wiseman raised $700,000 (cnd) by selling 22 shares. With that and a small loan he was able to make "Christmas Racoons" (1981) with a budget around $700,000 (cnd) Atkinson Film was able to get that on CBC,BBC and Time Buying Services (US syndicator) and the money came pouring in so much that more specials where made (total of 4)

So much money was made off the specials In 1985 a payment dispute bettwen Atkison Film and Wiseman forced him to create his own studio called Hinton Animation and took Racoons with him (along with most of the Racoon team) where the series was born. Staff leaked from Atkinson to Hinton till Atkinson eventully went bankrupt.

Racoons then became at the time the most profitable Canadain animated series with money flowing in from CBC,BBC, Disney (For the Disney Channel), and merchindice.

Soon Hinton found it self in the same situation Nelvana was in earler, how to expand.
    Gillis wanted to put Racoons (it was his pet project after all) in the real big time and start really pumping out the eps (they were only doing about 13 eps a year). Wisman wanted to invest money into a Animated feature. Natch like Nelevana's "Rock&Rule" it faled and the Roal Bank called in their loans after which Racoons has been bounced from studio to studio. Even Wiseman the man that choice the animated flick over Racoons made some more eps with a newly formed studio he created Lancewood (till it became Paragon then went belle-up)

I really miss studios like Hinton (and Lancewood). Yes it is sad that Wiseman didn't lisen to Gills back then but it is not becose of some stupid exec reason like WB uses Wiseman though it really was the best course for the studio. I mean I wouldn't be as mad at WB if it was a understandable dissison.

The fact that a start up was able to bring in more money then the big studios should prove that big is not always better and the best. What was the last WB pet project?, Disney's?

Oh well I guess I have to be happy with the independace that are still out there, I don't think any new ones will apear on the scene anytime soon.

2. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

What was the last WB pet project? Umm, the current one? Since, say, 1998? Mascot's yellow, starts with a 'p'?

3. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

:What was the last WB pet project? Umm, the current one? Since, say, 1998? Mascot's yellow, starts with a 'p'?

That is not a pet project that is KWB's pet show. WB does not make Pokémon.

4. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Maybe not Pokemon, but WB does have Static, Zeta, Batman Beyond, all of the original cartoons on Cartoon Network, and now JLA. So take your pick.

5. Psycho Fox

Psycho Fox Toonix Guru

:but WB does have Static, Zeta, Batman Beyond, all of the original cartoons on Cartoon Network, and now JLA. So take your pick.

Yhea but what are the odds that WB execs will go out of their way to protect them? Give them a second (or more) chance if they fail? Actully dream of how the series can evolve. See I don't really see those as pet projects WB isn't going out of its way for them and not doing it becouse it is cool.

Wiseman (which ran Hinton) ontop of bring a good busniess man had animation in his blood he knew where guys like Gillis was comming from since he was one of them. I bet 99% of WB execs couldn't animate a stick figure. Plus Wiseman was a fan of his studio's own work, How many WB execs do you think even watch their studio's own work?

Gillis did have alot of say in the studio (just that Wiseman was rapped out in the movie idea) .Imagine if someone from WBA could talk with WB highup and they lissen and just chat and say that they got an idea for a b*tching project that would be the coolist and everyone on the team thinks it would be fun and oh yhea there it has a good chance of it making money.

The problem with animation as a business is it is art form, The problem with animation as an art form is it is a business. Anyone that runs a studio should have some creative jucies in them or they are in the wrong field.