Help - Who is the Screaming Guy in the Star Trek credits?

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by DisneyBoy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

2. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

All the information concerning this character can be found here.

3. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

But if you don't want to be spoiled, he is from the season one episode “The Corbomite Maneuver.”
    Go watch it now!

You are supposed to be frightened.
    He is a puppet man used by a diminutive alien when communicating with new species to intimidate them until he knows if they are good people.

4. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Tn....a little warning that the images you linked to would be MORE terrifying than what I'd remembered would have been great :ack::eek: SO SCARY!

But thanks. At least now I know who haunts me at night....

....and what he looks like years later, as a corpse...

5. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Ah good ol Balok. He only shows up at the end of Season 2 episodes, otherwise its either the Andoran Slave Girl Vira from "The Cage" or a bland starfield. Its supposed to be a dig by Star Trek associate producer Bob Justman at then Desilu exec Herb Sallow or something. Futurama also did a funny bit on the credits for "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" featuring Kiff as Balok.

Also...

[​IMG]

I don't know whats more terrifying, the puppet or the fact that "real Balok" is actually Clint Howard :p

6. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Free Equestrian Forces

That puppet scared the pants out of me when I was a child. In fact, I avoided watching the TOS credits because it scared me so much.

I only got over my fear by watching the episode which the puppet appeared. Ironic.

7. Lord Dalek

I guess I never really cared since TOS reruns were essentially a late night thing when I was 4 to 5 so I missed out.

And since I mentioned it before...

[​IMG]

8. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Yes. See DisneyBoy, you're not alone.
    I think it had me too for a while, but since I was always watching Trek I got used to him.
    It’s one of the scariest creatures from that tv era. I’m sure it inspired plenty of nightmares.
    Actually, I find Sci-Fi that features some sort of puppet or doll to be some of the most frightening stuff.
    The thing is even though the other alien is jovial there is a whole different creep factor working there once you hear him talk.

Clint’s no Ernest Borgnine, but he sure racks up the credits.

The dower looking puppet alien looks like the kind of monster you can deal with once you’ve convinced him not to dissect you, but Space mutant Opie seems like the kind of alien that’s going to get you drunk on tranya and start long conversations about the theory of parallel world development that always lead to the topic of ancient Roman bath houses.
    That’s why none of his people want to serve on that giant space ship with him and his life sized doll collection.

Do we still need spoilers to discuss this?
    Oh well.
    This seems like it may be one of the more obscure episodes. I’m not sure how well liked it is in general, but I thought it was real good.
    It has some awesome elements of the Enterprise being overmatched and classic Kirk using pluck and guile to bluff his way out.
    But what I really like is how Lt. Bailey represents old fashioned Sci-Fi that wants to meet alien threats with guns a blazing, but the rest of the crew does things the Federation way, which is more thoughtful, less reactionary and able to be compassionate but still far from being a push over. It’s just the kind of optimistic Star Trek outlook for humanities evolution that I love.

9. Lord Dalek

It's deffinetely one of the more effective alien designs they had in TOS, along with the Horta. But is it scarrier than the "giant eye from hell" from the last few Season 1 Twilight Zone's? Probably not.

10. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Really funny timing. I was watching the Futurama episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" yesterday with the commentary. Someone (I forget who - David X Cohen?) confessed to being afraid of Balok and would hide his eyes whenever Star Trek would end.

11. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

The one with the messed up eyelashes?
    Yeah, that's not something you want to see late at night.
    I think the doll's eye freaks out plenty of people too.

Twilight Zone aired on CBS, right? I kind of wonder if they were mocking the CBS logo.

12. Lord Dalek

Yeah, thank god for title sequence plastering durring the summer 1961 rerun season. Its only intact on three episodes.

For those who do not know, the "eye from hell"

13. Mack Kinnon

Mack Kinnon New Member

image.jpg image.jpg I know it sounds kind of mean, but I think he was playing for the Seattle Seahawks: