Hasbro Acquires Power Rangers

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Ratings
Las Vegas, NV
So, it was previously known that Hasbro was taking over the toy rights to the Power Rangers. Now, they have acquired the IP rights to Power Rangers, announced in this press release. It appears Saban Brands itself is what will be acquired, as all of its IPs are to be acquired by Hasbro in this deal.

Some are speculating this could lead to another PR movie. However, after the major disappointment at the worldwide box office for the 2017 movie, and after the two previous movies in the 1990s did not do well either, I have to believe Hasbro will be very reluctant to just start greenlighting a fourth Power Rangers movie, just for the sake of having their own Power Rangers movie. Also, it may be too late in the Beast Morphers casting process for the news to have an immediate impact. I am looking towards 2020 or 2021 for the first signs of changes at the TV show level.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
315 15
Newington, CT, USA
Wow, so the Neo-Saban era is already over. Gotta be honest, it's bittersweet. I wonder if Haim Saban is going to be sticking around in any capacity.
He never had any involvement with Saban Brands in the first place. He currently runs Saban Capital Group (the "SCG" that "SCG Power Rangers" refers to). Also, what do you mean "already" over? It's been 7 years since Power Rangers Samurai premiered. In any case, I doubt that any future Power Rangers series are going to be produced by "Hasbro Studios". I suspect they'll still be made by Saban Brands, even though they're now owned by Hasbro.

Also, ms78, and Spideyzilla. I understand that Hasbro won't be doing a "cinematic universe" of any kind. In fact, I don't think they were ever seriously considering the idea in the first place.

Feb 22, 2018
Ratings
214 4
Let's hope that the Hasbro era can be much better than the Neo-Saban era. It was the worst era, even though Dino Charge was decent. Also maybe hope that we can go back to one year seasons some way or another. And I wonder if Hasbro is going to make use of the non-PR shows or just hold on to the rights like Disney did with the non-PR/non-Digimon/non-Marvel Fox Kids shows?

Where are Digimon and PreC-I mean Glitter Force going here?

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,586 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I hope they go back to one season adaptations as well. I can’t believe something cool like Gokaiger got reduced to barely anything substantial.

Hasbro now owns Saban and Boulder Media.

Animated Power Rangers, anyone?
Aren’t they contractually obligated to do adaptations using Super Sentai? I don’t see them doing both a live action and animated version.
I actually would like a cartoon, though. Probably be a mass improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Storm Eagle

Power to the peaceful
May 14, 2002
Ratings
New York
users.ign.com
Wow, so the Neo-Saban era is already over. Gotta be honest, it's bittersweet. I wonder if Haim Saban is going to be sticking around in any capacity.
He'll still be around as a consultant, like the article says.

As far as I'm concerned, Hasbro can have them. I never liked the Power Rangers. There's no worse role model for kids.
You just might be it.

Feb 22, 2018
Ratings
214 4
Do you think that this will mean that they will move the show to Discovery Family?
Doubt it. They don't even consider it their first priority for shows anymore, the only ones they've put there post-rebrand are the Blazing Team contractual obligation and sequels to already-existing shows.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
315 15
Newington, CT, USA
Besides, Toei was the original creator of Power Rangers* in the first place, if anything (Haim Saban only adapted it). More to the point, it was created by manga artist Shotaro Ishimori^ (who also did some TV writing) in 1975. As viewers (fans of Power Rangers, or not), we simply can't ignore that, which is something an animated series would do since there has never been any Power Rangers anime in Japan (that I know of).

As for the two season thing, that was Nickelodeon's idea. Apparently anything that airs on their network must have at least 20 episodes, although this rule has been broken before (2012 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, anyone?).

Also, yes, this is just for Saban Brands, and not the "Saban Entertainment" catalog (which also includes anything made by "Fox Children's Productions", "Fox Kids Worldwide", Fox Family Worldwide, and "Jetix").

*Or rather the "Super Sentai" series, with each show called "[theme] Sentai _ranger/_man/_ger".

^Also credited as Shotaro Ishi"no"mori. He was the creator of the show that started it all "Himitsu Sentai Goranger".

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
Ratings
In a Dream World
Let's hope that the Hasbro era can be much better than the Neo-Saban era. It was the worst era, even though Dino Charge was decent. Also maybe hope that we can go back to one year seasons some way or another. And I wonder if Hasbro is going to make use of the non-PR shows or just hold on to the rights like Disney did with the non-PR/non-Digimon/non-Marvel Fox Kids shows?

Where are Digimon and PreC-I mean Glitter Force going here?
I don't know about Glitter Force, but I'm pretty sure that Saban doesn't have the rights to Digimon anymore. They left the last chuck of Digimon Xros Wars undubbed, Toei started the promotion for Digimon Adventure Tri and I don't think that Saban is involved with the Adventure Tri movies either. This deal seems to be just for Power Rangers.

LinusFan303

Fan of Linus and Peanuts
Mar 26, 2018
Ratings
821 5
Colorado
I'm sure they don't have rights to Digimon anymore , though they still apparently distribute repeats of Fusion/ Xros Wars dub if that block on London Live in the UK is anything to go by. I think Adventure Tri is distributed by Shout Factory and Eleven Arts (for North America or just US not completely sure)

Is there any possbility Hasbro could buy the Fox Kids/Family library?
Don't think Disney would give up the stuff they bought (they seem to like buying things and keeping it ) and rest of the library is owned by their respective owners .

Feb 22, 2018
Ratings
214 4
Yeah, I suspected that Saban lost the rights to Digimon. They don't list it on their site or otherwise acknowledge it, they weren't involved in tri., they've never said anything about Appmon, no Saban-licensed Digimon merch has been made since Fusion was still airing (the newer games's Western releases weren't tied to the anime like the older games and the collectibles are just Adventure nostalgia stuff licensed by Toei), etc.