"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Jason M

Aug 9, 2016
Ratings
Paul Dini should be involved! He created the character!
I hope they aren’t trying to screw him like DC did to Siegel
And Shuster for decades over Superman!!!

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,012 8
Paul Dini really gets Harley. I mean, "Harley Goes Ape", which he wrote, is my favorite Justice League Action episode so far. Still, I think this show has potential even if he's not even writing for it.

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Ratings
1,630 8
Now as much as I love Harley as a character I honestly don't think she deserves her own animated series; a movie maybe (Batman and Harley out of the question btw) or even a series of shorts, but a full half hour episode series?! Also from the looks of it, it sounds like they're taking the Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Connor Harley concept, which honestly isn't my favorite interpretation of the character since it seems more like they want Harley to be DC's answer to Deadpool; in fact I'm almost certain this project may well be because of the Deadpool animated series coming to FX.

Now here's my personal pet peeve reading into this, it's just another adult animated comedy! Let's face it, adult animation (at least in western culture) that is primarily comedy based is already a dime in a dozen, and most of projects are just raunchy and crass just for the sake of being raunchy and crass; even Rick and Morty is guilty of that trope.

Do you know what animated adult show I want to see DC and Warner Bros produce?! I want to see an adult Batman animated series, similar to Batman Hush or some of Scott Snyder's stuff, or an animated horror anthology, based on The House of Mystery staring Caine and Able, or an animated Swamp Thing series, or even an adult Superman animated series.

Animation is a medium, and it should be used to tell a wide range of different stories for different audiences of any age, gender or walk of life, but if you just continue making adult comedies, then you're only further implying that animation is a genre because you're just making the same show over and over.

I don't know, I'm not against adult animation, or even adult animated comedies in particular, but this project rubs me the wrong way and I don't exactly know why. Maybe it's because of the Jimmy and Amanda influence, or because it's just another adult comedy, or maybe it's based on my experience watching Batman and Harley Quinn I don't know.

But who knows, maybe it'll still be good, and maybe it won't be too adult and will actually make things funny. We'll see.

Last edited:

Harlequinn

Joker's Henchman
Nov 15, 2009
Ratings
390 1
California
I think it's good that the show is going to be adult animated comedy. Those kind of shows are hot cakes for streaming. Look at the trending on Hulu, you'll always see Rick and Morty, Family Guy, South Park, etc. This is a very smart move for DC imo, I of course just hope that it actually ends up good. But DC has yet to truly disappoint me when it comes to animated tv series.

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Ratings
1,630 8
I think it's good that the show is going to be adult animated comedy. Those kind of shows are hot cakes for streaming. Look at the trending on Hulu, you'll always see Rick and Morty, Family Guy, South Park, etc. This is a very smart move for DC imo, I of course just hope that it actually ends up good. But DC has yet to truly disappoint me when it comes to animated tv series.
But it still takes away any diversity in genres and only further cements the concept that animation is a genre in of itself, when it's suppose to be an art form.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
I did not know this...is there any confirmation from WB?
I want to say it was from when Register was lecturing at some animation summit back in the day or it was something I wasn't supposed to blab out loud.

EDIT: Oh, just noticed Bernie in that development art.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Reporter
Jul 13, 2003
Ratings
10,998 21
Shahdaroba
www.dcauresource.com
Paul Dini should be involved! He created the character!
I hope they aren’t trying to screw him like DC did to Siegel
And Shuster for decades over Superman!!!
No, he and Timm are always credited as creators in the end credits nowadays. Though I admit I don't know if that was always the case since Harley's first post-JLU appearance -- The Batman I think it was.

Oct 29, 2017
Ratings
Good to know that DC have more in store for us when it comes to their new app, hopefully we finally get an animated series about the Flash down the line, that would be cool. I hope this ends up being decent at least. The art style is really nice, this should be fun.

26 episodes is a good amount of content

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,910 45
Sherman Oaks CA
TheHashtagShow has uncovered some cast descriptions.

Joker
"[THE JOKER] (40) Equal parts homicidal and charismatic, he’s been Harley’s longtime awful boyfriend, but when Harley breaks up with him, she vows to take his cherished number-one spot on the Most Wanted list. The Joker thinks of Harley as his creation and, as she grows in power, does everything he can to stop her. (SERIES REGULAR)"
Poison Ivy
"[DR. PAMELA ISLEY (AKA “POISON IVY”)] (LATE 20’s) Sarcastic and incredibly smart, Ivy is Harley’s best friend and now roommate. Very much a loner (she prefers plants over people), Ivy is sometimes the voice of reason but always a true friend to Harley. Ivy soon becomes her reluctant partner-in-crime. (SERIES REGULAR)"
Sy Borgman
"[SY BORGMAN] (90’s) Once upon a time, Sy used to be a suave, super spy. Now in his 90s, he’s a wheelchair user with most of his body replaced by creaky 50s era bionic parts. Crotchety, difficult and longs to become relevant again. He’s also Harley and Ivy’s landlord, and insists they take him on their heists so can get back into the action – or else he won’t repair the plumbing. (SERIES REGULAR)"
Dr. Psycho
"[DR. PSYCHO](Mid-40s) An angry misogynist dwarf with telekinesis. He was a major villain until the “incident” ten years ago when in the midst of losing a battle against Wonder Woman he became frustrated and called her the C-word. In front of hundreds of camera phones. Even other villains were disgusted. Disgraced, the only one who’ll have him is Harley. A woman. He can’t stand it, but he’ll do anything to get back into the villain community. (SERIES REGULAR)"
Malice Vundabar
"[MALICE VUNDABAR] Early 20s, pretty, but over it. She’s an alien (but looks human) and her family is crazy rich and powerful, she’s interning with Harley’s gang for college credit. The only thing she cares about is her demonic shadow cat named Chessure that she carries around in her designer purse. It’s a friend and fashion item and it destroys everything it sees. (SERIES REGULAR)"
King Shark
"[KING SHARK](30) His lower half is human, but his upper half is the body of a great white shark. Even though he looks incredibly fierce, he’s a gentle soul who just wants to be normal. That is, until he smells blood. And then he goes into a frenzy and literally eats everyone around him leaving death and carnage everywhere. Then feels bad about it. (SERIES REGULAR)"
Clayface
"[CLAYFACE](Mid 30’s) A large, humanoid mass of clay, Clayface was a struggling, trained actor until a terrible pottery accident turned him into the shapeshifting villain he is now. His aspirations for stardom and his ability to transform his appearance to look like anyone should help him land some roles but he’s such a terrible actor that the only work he can get is with Harley’s crew, pretending to be whoever they need him to be help with a heist. He still holds out hope that he’ll land one of the many auditions he fruitlessly goes on. (SERIES REGULAR)"

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
10,910 45
Sherman Oaks CA
For what it's worth, Patrick Schumacker confirmed the character descriptions that have surfaced are accurate.

And reading through some of the replies, he also compares the show to Rick and Morty and mentions they are still in very early writing stages.
It also sounds like Catwoman is very likely to appear, as well as the Harley and Ivy romance :).