Hana Zuki Full Of Treasures (Series Talkback Thread)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by AnotherRandomGuy, Jan 12, 2017.

1. GuillermoGage

GuillermoGage New Member

Huh, I was starting to get worried that me following this show was just a 4.95-hour waste of time (plus the time spent discussing the show) if the show never really caught on or developed, partially because I don't really understand what is financially lucrative for this series in terms of either merchandise or YouTube views/ad revenue.

But now it it being renewed for a THIRD season, with thirty 1-2 minute shorts arriving before Season 2?

Huh, do they even know if this show will become popular enough to warrant a "feature film"? A direct-to-video thing that is an hour long or 66 or 70-some minutes honestly wasn't something that I think that they would've decided on doing yet, at least not until the series had more episodes and quite a few million more views and such. A feature film with a theatrical release anywhere near that of a regular animated film sounds rather absurd now, especially since the brand just debuted to the world this year, and its fanbase is still rather niche.
    They are really that confident?

I do like the full-length song now, tho. It probably helps that only the first episode would play the one-verse part, and all the other episodes just had that high-pitched little bit, making me not grow tired of the "out there deep in space" line.

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty much how I feel about it. I also think they should wait and see how the MLP movie does first. If that doesn't do well, then I don't think a Hanazuki movie would be a good idea (at least from a financial standpoint, I'd personally be interested in one) since MLP is one of their biggest properties.

I've also heard that it does well on YouTube, but I haven't heard anything about merch sales.

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I also agree that it's odd that they plan on making a feature film. It's probably just in the early development stage, not even pre-production has started and likely won't until they see how the MLP movie does.

On the other hand, if Hasbro is serious about their ambitions of producing animated features, then they shouldn't wait. Thanks to the new model of producing animated features with lower budgets, it's going to take a string of box office flops to justify NOT making animated films.
    And even though the IP isn't well known as stuff like MLP and Transformers, is that necessarily a bad thing? A movie based off a well known property doesn't guarantee success and some people don't like the idea of certain IPs getting movies in the first place (The Emoji Movie). Hana Zuki is going to be seen as something brand new to a lot of people, and that can be an advantage in establishing a new franchise. The biggest factor in this is whether the movie can be enjoyed without ever watching the webseries.

I wonder if this will be 2D animated? Wouldn't it be crazy if Hasbro / Allspark of ALL people revive 2D animated feature in America! Truly an excited time for animated features!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A little behind the scenes look with the voice of Kiazuki.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm starting to see toys based off the IP advertised. Some glowing bracelet that changes color based on the little treasure toys you place on it.
    Seems like absolute junk to me. I heard they plan on selling a book as well? Maybe that'll will do well too. Hasbro seems like they want to rely on more than just toy sales to ensure a stable revenue stream from the IP.
    Also, another revenue source is selling the broadcast rights to the series. The cartoon airs on television in Canada. I think YTV. Short form programming is huge outside the U.S. They could be selling this in other countries too.

7. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

A couple things about the theatrical short I wanted to mention. Like the movie it's attached to, it will have upgraded animation. It was animated in house at Titmouse (the series is animated in Malaysia), has updated designs, stellar effects, and shadows.

Marketing hasn't released any images, but Colleen O'Shaughnessy, who voices Little Dreamer, posted a few pictures, though they're low quality camera pictures, so I'm not sure how good a look it is at the style.

#67 PinkiePie97, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  8. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I haven't seen too much of the series, largely because I can't really seem to get engaged in shows that have one character carry all the dialogue, but it'll definitely be exciting to see what kind of quality boost it gets because it's already quite cute-looking.

9. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's not long before Hanazuki finds other characters she can have conversations with.
    Either way, though I found the show overrated, I'm looking forward to seeing how the short looks, this is the same studio that's done Motorcity. I think Mike Carlo did a little bit in the show, but if handled animation direction on the short, than this will look great.

10. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

There was a theater short played before the My Little Pony Movie, and it was cool to see this on the big screen. Granted it was not as good as the show. Hanazuki was the only character that could talk in human language.

So check it out if you want.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Since MLP is basically flopping at the box office, i wonder if they still plan on making a Hanazuki movie.
    IMO, they most likely won't.

12. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

It's actually doing considerably better than initial predictions, believe it or not. Still not great, but people are clearly at least seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I suppose you're right. It is coming in at 4th place, when others predicted 5th or 6th.

Granted, the movie's success is still entirely dependent on the film's budget, which is still a mystery!

14. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

15. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator