Gundam toys and model thread

  • We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Duke said:
I picked up a few sets of the SD Gundam Mini-Defender sets yesterday. I got the two Char's Counterattack sets with the two main ships as playsets (Forgot the actual name of the ships). I do wish that instead of two versions of the Neo Zaku that one of them was a Federation ship so that there could be 5 MS per playset, but oh well.

I also got 3 of the 6 Gundam Fight sets.

Set 1: Gundam Scimitar, MA Murphy (the Helicopter one), Shining Gundam (regular Mode), Spike/Tequila Gundam, MS Pescadore (The blue Aqua MS)

Set 2: Arachno Gundam, MS Butler, Gundam Rose, Gundam Maxter, MS Murphy (The transformed version of the Helicopter MS)

Set 3: Mummy Gundam XIII, Dragon Gundam, Grizzly Gundam, Mummy Gundam IV, Bolt Gundam

For those who have no idea what the Mini-Defenders are, they're 1" tall figures that have basically one pose & that's it, and are basically collectible and displayable. The figures this time are pretty decent, though some of the paint jobs suck.
From what I've seen on eBay, Mini Defenders based on the new anime are starting to appear. There are three sets so far and they contain a nice range of characters. In a suprising move, Knight Mercurius and Veyeate are in the same set. As for the ones based on older shows- it seems these were originally released in Japan as capsule toys.

Spike Mcdougal said:
I long forgot about this....Uh the transforming one but what's this about the missiles?
Bandai have started releasing MSiA that have missile firing gimmicks. I think the only two so far are GP02 and Wing Zero Custom. The missiles fire from the Atomic Bazooka/Twin Buster Rifle.
 

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Since this thread is back, I'll pass this news along. Pictures of some new US items:

Heavy Weapon System Captain: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2ffun.poosan.net%2fpamela%2fetc%2fsd_hw_captain%2fmain.html

"I'm sad that I'm armoured" Whilst the face might be off, I think the helmet is an improvement over the original. It now looks like Captain and not an SD RX-78-2.

Baku and Entengo (Season 2 SPOILERS): http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2ffun.poosan.net%2fpamela%2fetc%2fsd_baku%26en%2fmain.html

Interesting. I know that a removeable helmet was originally intended for Zero, so it's nice to see it return. Are the wires coming out of his head supposed to look like hair?

Lord Tallgeese and Griffon http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2ffun.poosan.net%2fpamela%2fetc%2fsd_tallgeese%2fmain.html

I hope the interchangable armour will be part of the Japanese release too.

Pawn Leo http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&url=http%3a%2f%2ffun.poosan.net%2fpamela%2fetc%2fsd_pawn_leo%2fmain.html

This guy has a Man-E-Faces going on. I also like that he's collector friendly, being interchangable between a Commander and just a standard grunt over making both seperate figures.


On a seperate note, here's a question I've asked many times before- does anyone know any reliable, afordable US sites that ship toys internationally? It's kind of important.
 
Feb 23, 2004
478
16
29
I got Freedom Gundam at Target the other day along with Astray Red and Strike Gundam Level 1 for my younger brothers. Is there a reason why the level one's legs don't bend? Are the level 2's like this too?
 

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Rouge12 said:
I got Freedom Gundam at Target the other day along with Astray Red and Strike Gundam Level 1 for my younger brothers. Is there a reason why the level one's legs don't bend? Are the level 2's like this too?
What Bandai US called 'Level 1 SEED kits' were the first SEED kits released in Japan. They're a low budget range designed to be painted and displayed, unlike the more expensive kits which can double as action figures for careful play.
 

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Feb 4, 2002
51,014
36
34
Baltimore, MD
www.livejournal.com
HellCat said:
From what I've seen on eBay, Mini Defenders based on the new anime are starting to appear. There are three sets so far and they contain a nice range of characters. In a suprising move, Knight Mercurius and Veyeate are in the same set. As for the ones based on older shows- it seems these were originally released in Japan as capsule toys.
Yea, the Mini-Defenders released in the US have only been from Wing (sans the second-half upgrades and Endless Waltz) and G (sans Burning/God Gundam and Devil Gundam). There's 3 from Wing and 6 total from G.

Lord Tallgeese and Griffon http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ese%2fmain.html

I hope the interchangable armour will be part of the Japanese release too.
I'm glad the figure Tallgeese keeps his cape. Why can't the model keep it? :(
 

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Duke said:
Yea, the Mini-Defenders released in the US have only been from Wing (sans the second-half upgrades and Endless Waltz) and G (sans Burning/God Gundam and Devil Gundam). There's 3 from Wing and 6 total from G.


I'm glad the figure Tallgeese keeps his cape. Why can't the model keep it? :(
The ones I'm aware of are- The 3 Operation Meteor Sets, The Gundam Fight Sets, the 3 SDGF sets, SD Ra Cailum, SD Reowlola (I just know I spelt that wrong), SD Devil Gundam and the soon to come Ark playset/carry case.

Speaking of the cape, I think it's a nicer sculpt then what we got on Zero. That cape was rather flat, whilst Tallgeese's has some nice folds.
 
Feb 23, 2004
478
16
29
HellCat said:
What Bandai US called 'Level 1 SEED kits' were the first SEED kits released in Japan. They're a low budget range designed to be painted and displayed, unlike the more expensive kits which can double as action figures for careful play.
Ah...
Thanks.
I think I'll be buying more of the upper level kits.
 

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Rouge12 said:
Ah...
Thanks.
I think I'll be buying more of the upper level kits.
I don't really see why they brought them over. I doubt the kind of people who buy Gundam kits in the US are interested in a display piece. The ones I own are either because it's the only way to get that design (1/144 Sword Strike) or it was the only version available at the time (Astray Red, Blue and Gold Frame).
 

Znath

Me'e'eeh We have a delivery
Oct 22, 2002
906
16
Visit site
All the stores around where I am are being naturaly stupid as usual
So I should see the first Seed stuff about, august or later :D

I'd also like to see some better models, but that's not gonna happen in my area
so next time I'm in a bigger area I'll have to check then
 

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Rise from your grave...

Ashuramaru has just been released in Japan. Pics can be seen here http://fun.poosan.net/pamela/etc/sd_ashura/main.html

Not having seen Ashura in the show yet, I'm kinda underwhelmed. Hiding the extra arms doesn't work too well, I think having them in plain sight like the G version would of worked better. As for the battle face...It's like Ashuramaru is having a tantrum "I'm not speaking to you!" *doors close*
 

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Feb 26, 2002
66,869
Ratings
19
38
33
Washington
I saw an SD Deathscythe from the SDG line of chunky action figures. I want it. It's nifty looking. I didn't know they were using any real Gundams as well as the ones for Superior Defender. That was a good idea. I wouldn't have bought any Superior Defender characters but a SD Gundam Wing or G Gundam mechas I'd buy in a heart beat.
 

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Reporter
May 6, 2001
41,468
Ratings
45
48
32
Hyper Luigi said:
I saw an SD Deathscythe from the SDG line of chunky action figures. I want it. It's nifty looking. I didn't know they were using any real Gundams as well as the ones for Superior Defender. That was a good idea. I wouldn't have bought any Superior Defender characters but a SD Gundam Wing or G Gundam mechas I'd buy in a heart beat.
Yep, Bandai have wisely split the line between toys and kits based on the show and based on the existing Gundam stories.
Speaking of which, according to HLJ the non-show figures will be getting a release in Japan starting from August. The only show items mixed in with these will be big Ark bad guy Kibaoumaru and the golden Captain repaint, which leaves me to wonder when the heck Japan will get Gundiver.
There's also a mysterious Battle Ship Gundamusai listed. I'm gonna guess this is like the Magna-Musai, only with the Zaku heads replaced with Gundam ones or maybe just simply a salvaged and renamed Magna Musai.