"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, May 3, 2017.

?

Rate this movie!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. ****

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I am Groot?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

One thing I've been pondering this week was the Celestials. At this point, was Ego the last full blooded Celestial before he was killed? Or are there others? In the first movie, we did see the Collector show Eson using the Power Stone then inexplicably at some point the Power Stone was stored on Morag. We also know Knowhere was the head of a Celestial that was being mined.

Did Ego ever meet other Celestials? Are the Celestials loners who do their own thing?

Did Ego try to recruit another Celestial and it went south? Thus leading to Ego adopting the plan to sire a child that could tap into his core?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

We just might get some answers in Thor Ragnarok?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

4. the greenman

No offense, when it cones to the MCU; they are doing their own thing. Bucky was not a child and I'm not sure Hela is Loki's daughter. So we can only glean a few snippets from the comics.

5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Ah, creative license. Sometimes, it's a good thing to have, but other times, it really isn't.

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I love fake movie posters (etc) in movies. Do any of the other names look familiar beside Simon?

I still like to think Delivery Man Stan was an MCU Willie Lumpkin. Just my own head-canon.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
    #27 Rick Jones, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

5/18: Nothing I've noticed yet. For Arkon, the director is Gunn's assistant and the Tommy Harper is the stunt coordinator. So they could be people in the crew or his friends and family.

5/21: Gunn posted Haxan 2 poster.

5/22: More posters.

6/18: No official PR yet but Target has the Bluray/DVD release for August 22.

7/10: Music video of Inferno single featuring Hasselhoff will be included in home release.

7/11: GoTG Vol.2 home entertainment release is locked for August 22. Digital will be August 8.

7/31: Concept artist Ian Joyner posted design for Warlock's cocoon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. the greenman

• Like Like x 2
  10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

8/7: Gunn revealed it came down to Nebula or Adam Warlock. He believed he couldn't do them justice if he kept both.

When Rocket searches through coordinates to do the warp-jump,Hala easter egg spotted, (it's a homeworld of the Kree [previously name dropped AOS season 2] and birthplace of Mar-Vell) Terma (Quasar and Moondragon found Adam Warlock in stasis on this planet in the comics), and Drez-Lar (another Kree planet in the comics).

8/15: Vol 2. had the biggest opening week for digital downloads of MCU movies.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I kinda hope they tone Drax down a little going forward. I get it, he's a bit of a crass idiot, but it felt like they really beat that into the ground with this movie :rolleyes:.

Mantis felt like the lovechild of Starfire and Raven, being a ditzy empath, which isn't anything like her comic incarnation but I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this point. I do wonder how useful she'll be to the team without her martial arts skills from the comics, since her powers only seemed situation-ally useful in helping hold off Ego o_O.

So is Kraglin a Guardian now? He seemed to still be with them on the ship at the end there, while he was mastering Yondu's arrow. Though maybe they'll kick him out for nearly killing Drax :p?

I think James Gunn definitely excels when it comes to zaniness, humor, and injecting a surprising amount of heart when it counts. But I think he does fall a little short when it comes to action sequences, since I wasn't too overly impressed by that many of the fight sequences in this movie. Now, they had some impressive visuals (Yondu taking out the Ravagers, Peter's solo fight with Ego, etc.), but not all that memorable compared to other fight scenes in the MCU :shrug:.

It was pretty cool to see the Ravager leaders come together as the original Guardians of the Galaxy, however dramatically revised they were. Though I kinda had to tilt my head at Krugarr being there since he was never actually an original Guardian (he didn't even join the spinoff team, as I recall), but I guess Gunn wanted him for the cool visual. Would've preferred seeing Nikki though :sad:.

I'm glad they kept Stakar's shoulder rings even if it doesn't look like they kept his comic powerset or the whole "The One Who Knows" business. I wonder if "Starhawk" is to him what "Star-Lord" is to Peter ;)?

I wonder what Aleta's deal in this universe is...she's usually depicted as being fairly bright and sunny while here she looked like Hela getting ready for Thor: Ragnarok. Has she already gone through the ordeal of being fused to Stakar? So far the only thing she seems to have in common with her comic incarnation is a refined way of talking and in all likelihood being Stakar's ex-wife :sweat:.

Miley Cyrus as Mainframe...I just :confused:...

I'm curious to see where they go with Adam Warlock. They seem to be setting him up as the next step in the Sovereign's evolution and the weapon she's going to use to get back at the Guardians, so I'm curious if that will play into the Warlock/Magus dichotomy at all :ack:.

I think the thing with the Celestials is they are a very mysterious and solitary bunch, especially the giant robot ones.

The closest they seem to have to any kind of discernible motivation is cultivating and evolving sentient life, which was kind of similar to Ego's plan in a way, but that's about it.

If there are any of the robot Celestials still left, I imagine it'll probably be a big deal when they turn up again. Especially if it's together :ack:.
    I still don't know what the heck is going on here, especially with the lyrics. I mean, that's probably the point, and it's fun watching the cast do this, but still :p.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it depends on Ravagers' rules. Would Stakar deem Kraglin the new leader of Yondu's unit, give him a new ship, and leave him to recruit?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Seeing him on the ship at the end, made me think he might be with them now in a ship maintenance capacity or something similar. I'm not sure why.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's funny how they've made big sellers out of what are essentially Time Life compilations. I guess it shows that people can appreciate quality under the right circumstances.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Particularly when used to poignant and memorable effect in a movie ;).

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Maybe it's the guy from the non-Adam Warlock cocoon :p?

I'm curious about what he means by "hidden" though...like, in an Easter Egg or some kind of scroll or hidden name o_O?

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, exactly. Unless he was at the Iron Lotus among all the Ravagers or the person Molly Quinn portrayed who was talking to Howard the Duck. Or yeah, a name on a screen - like the 3 planets Rocket scrolls past before setting the jump to Ego.

• Agree Agree x 1