Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "You Don't Own Me" Talkback (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,607 6
A Valid Location
Check out a new episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout "You Don't Own Me"
Episode Debut - April 29th, 2018

Phyla-Vell reluctantly teams up with the Guardians to bring The Collector to justice for destroying her home planet.

*Ming-Na Wen ("Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.") voice guest stars as Phyla-Vell

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,458 4
Framingham, MA
Marvel's Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout! "You Don't Own Me"

What a great cliffhanger! I'm sure the mirror and the armor has to do with how the Guardians escaped but I like that we have to wait for the end of another hiatus to find out.

Phyla was being pretty stupid about her planet. If she wasn't careful, she could have wound up destroying it herself.

Speaking of destroying, Peter breaking the Collector's stuff will never get old.

Adult Groot still has a thing with buttons. Good. That's hilarious.

That ending drove me absolutely nuts in the very best way. ****.

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
Ratings
1,478 10
That ending was totally unexpected, and I knew that we were getting a Black Vortex/Mirror arc really soon!

I think it's safe to assume that Phyla-Vel won't end up becoming Hala the Accuser come the events Marvel Rising; despite having the same voice actress. (I guess her contract for Agents of SHIELD was about up and they needed her for a few more roles.)

I really don't like the Collector's motivations, I mean talk about a spoiled whiny brat of a man. IIRC didn't his comic counterpart have more interesting motivations than just "He/She/They broke my collection!".

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,458 4
Framingham, MA
That ending was totally unexpected, and I knew that we were getting a Black Vortex/Mirror arc really soon!

I think it's safe to assume that Phyla-Vel won't end up becoming Hala the Accuser come the events Marvel Rising; despite having the same voice actress. (I guess her contract for Agents of SHIELD was about up and they needed her for a few more roles.)

I really don't like the Collector's motivations, I mean talk about a spoiled whiny brat of a man. IIRC didn't his comic counterpart have more interesting motivations than just "He/She/They broke my collection!".
I don't know how interesting you can make the motivations of a guy who simply wants to own a lot of rare stuff. I actually think if the comics portrayed that specific personality with a bit of complexity and nuance, they were probably wrong to do that.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,607 6
A Valid Location
Pretty good episode, and a nice way to end this arc. I like how it all played out. Phyla was a nice addition to the show and I hope she'll return later on as well. Howard was amusing. Collector was a decent enough adversary. His plan here to shrink and collect planets just reminded me of Brainiac.

The ending was great, a nice suspenseful moment though it shouldn't surprise anyone they'll find a way out of that. I do wonder how viewers not familiar with the upcoming Black Vortex story-line reacted to that last scene. It worked very well as a cliff-hanger ending. Hopefully, it won't be too long until the show returns.

Also, I really like how this Season is shaping up - all these mini story-arcs, each one feeling like a pretty natural sequel to the previous one. There's really no filler (well, maybe except the premiere which I presume was the episode they were planning on splitting into shorts) and no stand-alone stories either. Good stuff.

Gold Guy

Ride On
Staff member
Dec 14, 2008
Ratings
2,647 6
New York City
So, this was a really good episode.

But Phyla-Vell really annoyed me throughout. I get that she was upset, but the fact that she almost destroyed her planet without even bothering to check if Peter was right was frustrating. And then, of course, she believes the Collector when he repeats what Peter said.

JoeMabbon

Turtle Mage
Aug 8, 2014
Ratings
3,314 2
Valley of Bowser
So they just left The Collector alone? They didn't think to keep him in their sights? They worked harder at keeping an eye on Howard last episode.

Other than that, okay episode.

The Guardians got wiped out twice in less than a couple of days. What a stroke of bad luck.

I don't know how interesting you can make the motivations of a guy who simply wants to own a lot of rare stuff. I actually think if the comics portrayed that specific personality with a bit of complexity and nuance, they were probably wrong to do that.
Develop him less as a villain and more an eccentric whose obsessions bring him into conflict with the heroes.