"Green Lantern: The Animated Series" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndb

ndb Member

Ch'p! Woohoo! The season has been made for me! Definitely watching!

2. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Great to hear Sinestro will be showing up this "season". I knew they couldn't put him off till "season 2", not w/ all that foreshadowing.

And the preview was awesome!! Guy seems cool, love Earth, as usual, the Ch'p fight was just fantastic, and Tomar's design and voice is really cool. Can't wait!!

3. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

Wait, where did they say sinestro was gonna appear this season? I thought with the announcement of the anti-monitor, the manhunters and apparently larfreeze down the line, it pretty much confirmed what they've been saying this whole time, sinestro won't appear in the first 26 episodes.

Im actually curious as to where your getting this information from.

4. quigonkenny

quigonkenny Active Member

5. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 Active Member

I believe it has been stated explicitly that the New Gods will not be appearing.

6. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Hero Supreme posted a link to an interview with GL producer Giancarlo Volpe, on page 23 of this thread. Here's a link to the interview:

http://acrosstheairwaves.com/dcnationweek17

Sinestro talk starts around 55min. They also state Sinistro is still a GL at first, which we should have been able to figure out, based on Hal's reaction to the Yellow Element. They discuss that too.

Thanks "Across The Airwaves" and Hero Supreme ;). I never heard of "Across The Airwaves" podcast, but now I'll certainly be listening to past shows and keep checking out the new ones! Seems like a really cool podcast :) .

BTW, "they" never said Sinsestro wont show up in the first 26 eps. Everyone just jumped to that conclusion, because Bruce Timm said he wont show up initially. I always assumed he'd show up after the Red Lanterns arc, especially once they introduced the Yellow Element. To my knowledge, there was never a reason to assume he wouldn't show up after episode 13. Just sayin...

I cannot wait!!! And I bet (and hope) he will get the yellow ring before the end of the season. I don't think we'll have to wait till season 2 (or 3, or whatever it officially is) for that. They said no Sinestro Corps this coming season, but that doesn't mean he wont get the ring and become a bad guy :) .

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Derrick Wyatt posted his designs for Guy Gardner. Bowl cut! And looks like there was a voice record today involving Jennifer Hale and Grey DeLisle.

@jak d ripr, there's also the first page of this thread. Click on the spoiler tag and there's a list of current news I've kept for the series with links for 95% of them.

Correct. Since as early as March this year, they stated he would appear at some point.

I think based on statements from this podcast interview, it seems logical to guess Sinestro will show up as one of the Green Lanterns who will guest star with the main cast in an episode or so. The premise of this episode he could appear in would be very interesting, I would imagine maybe he would join the cast in a return trip to the Forbidden Zone and Sinestro happens to learn about the Yellow Element.

I think it was the same podcast, Volpe talked about how they stayed away from Sinestro because they were under the impression he was staying a good guy the whole time in the live action movie but that teaser was added at the last minute so it would have been all good if Sinestro was introduced as a villain in GL:TAS anyway.

Now that the teaser alluded to the Anti-Monitor coming from the antimatter universe, perhaps we can theorize a more straightly adapted origin akin to the comics, Sinestro is exposed (i.e. like in the comics for becoming a dictator of Korugar), stands trial, and banished to the Antimatter Universe where he meets the Weaponers and gets a ring. Maybe he kept a piece of the Yellow Element from the Forbidden Zone hidden on his person and gives it to the Weaponers to forge rings. They have to tie in the discovery of the element somehow.

#487 Yojimbo, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2012
  8. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord Active Member

Is that Jennifer Hale as the reporter praising Guy? LOL

Ch'p curb-stomping Hal was hilarious. XD

Nice to have Tomar-Re as well; I wonder who's voicing him?

9. Jiggle-Bot

Jiggle-Bot Member

Loved the new previews! Any news of a further season pick up beyond 26?

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

No announcements of a pick up yet. Keep buying official merchandise. ;)

11. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

Bader? My first guess when I heard his voice was Patrick Warburton. Either would've been cool.

12. Neo Hartless

Neo Hartless Member

It would make sense for the Sinestro Corps season to be the next, if I remember correctly the Anti-Monitor was part of the creation of the Corps.

But I think that if they're gonna really adapt the Sinestro Corps War stroyline then they should do it in the later parts of the season and have some stories about Sinestro's fall or Parallax.

13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I've been a passerby viewer, though I think I only missed one episode. Having said that, do we know if we'll see more of the corps like John Stewart, Katma, Kyle Rayner, or Jade? Also I've been doing more research on GL, I've found an answer (or two) from the Askgreg forum about who was the GL when Krypton was around. Not sure of the who but it had two sectors in history, 1003 and 2813.

Here's a sector guide I found online:

http://glcorps.dcuwiki.net/w/GLCWP_Sector_Guide#SECTOR_2813

14. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

John Stewart is a "Maybe." CBM10/17/11 Volpe and Krieg have gone on the record saying they want to use all the Earth GLs, but it's been said by Timm that Kyle Rayner is not currently on the table to appear on the show CBM10/17/11

The general answer is "Yes," we be seeing more GL's than Hal and Kilowog. There will be more GL guests of the week tagging along on the Interceptor 12/12/11 WF, USA Today posted another article, Blog of Oa Podcast 6/24/12

All I remember about Krypton was Tomar-Re was retconned into being assigned to save it but failed at the last second.

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Ah ha, okay sounds somewhat promising. Thank you.

Maybe the bigger team of GL's will involve taking down the Manhunters.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

You're welcome. I keep a running list of news on the first post of the first page of this thread if you're interested. The level of spoilers are low since we're in hiatus mode, if you're adverse to peeking.

Yes, I agree. They can't fool us again. Throughout the upcoming season, the one-off appearances will likely culminate in the season finale's big battle, they have to build up their character assets and make em' work for their budget. If they're gonna up the ante on the finale, the battle has to be more epic so there has to be more GLs since we only saw them as specks leaving Oa this past season. Based on the three that got revealed in the past weeks, we're getting a lot more of the famous ones (nothing against Iolande or Mogo, of course).

17. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

Thanks for clearing that up guys, I could have sworn I heard em say he would be MIA for the first 26 episodes but guess I was mistaken. Oh well, no harm done, and glad to hear it. It definitely seems-with the introduction of the anti-monitor-that the next 26 episodes(if they get ordered) are prolly gonna focus on the sinestro corp, which is fine by me, I've always wanted to see that storyline adapted, and since the live-action movie isn't doing it anytime soon this is my best chance.

Please DC, renew this show for more seasons, this really has potential to be one of the best products from DC in a long time(no disrespect to YJ).

18. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

Anyone else been buying/reading/following the tie-in comic? Issue #4 explains something I hadn't even considered: the purpose/origin of the lines on Razer's face. It also has some nice Razer/Aya moments for any shippers.

19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Honestly I've been ignoring it because I dislike the art and the staff on the show aren't involved or consulted on the comic. What's the issue's explanation of the lines?

20. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

Really? I didn't know that. Regarding the lines:

Razer got injured protecting Aya from an explosion. While tending to him, Aya was about to also heal his face, incorrectly assuming the lines were scars. Razer got angry at this and stormed off. Hal made him apologize, and Razer explained to all of them: "They are not scars. They are clan markings. In my home in the Forbidden Zone, we are given the marks in a special ceremony. They represent who we are and what we believe--" and then Hal summed it up in one word: "Tattoos," leading into a flashback story about Hal and the Tattooed Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.