Greatest Episode Ever!

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by HEATXZ, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Frostbite200

Frostbite200 New Member

Tho I am a die hard TSSM fan, I'm going with Hey Arnold!

2. Superpan

Superpan Member

Aren't you supposed to rank them?

3. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

You just pick the episode you want to win that is all

4. Superpan

Superpan Member

Alright then.

Opening Night

Double Trouble for Zorro was the one I WANTED to win. :p

5. SpideyFan914

SpideyFan914 Greatest Poster Ever!

Arnold's Christmas, Arnold's Christmas, and ARNOLD'S CHRISTMAS!!!!

It's been my chosen victor since Round One! Even putting aside my love for Hey Arnold! and the nostalgia effect, this is simply a brilliant piece of animation, with more emotion and humanity mixed into it than any other 20-minute piece I've ever seen. This is what other series should be striving to achieve.

The creators have clearly put thought into it, trying to go beyond a cliched Christmas special about trying to prove Santa's existence or looking for the perfect Christmas tree, but they wanted to capture what the holiday truly meant. The holidays are about family, about love, about miracles, about happiness for even the most invisible of people. And so they created a simple story about a man separated from his daughter, and the basic effort to reunite them after twenty long years.

And so, they've done even more than they ever intended - they've created a story about more than just Christmas, but about humanity as a whole. Thus, Arnold's Christmas is the only piece deserving to win this competition for Greatest Episode Ever!

6. Superpan

Superpan Member

Yeah, I've never heard the "man reunited with his child story before"....how is that a story about all humanity?

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but that episode just bored me. I mean I felt somewhat touched by him being reunited with his daughter, but it was quite forgettable. Now Oscar...that was a tragic and touching character. Dino Spumoni too. I really felt their pathos. This...I honestly never realized that was a Christmas episode. That's how much attention I paid to this.

7. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Amen to this!

8. cradleman

cradleman Member

hm, meltdown is screwed. might as well switch my vote to opening night

9. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

I'm going with "Meltdown". Against these episodes, why SHOULDN'T it win? It avoids using a cliched, tried and tested plot, unlike "Arnold's Christmas". It is a powerful and poignant episode about the futility of redemption for people like Mr. Freeze (which is far more clever and engrossing than the Spidey/Black Cat drama of "Opening Night"). It also delivers action and spectacle, shocks and surprises (the fate of Dr. Lake, for one). Against these episodes, why should it lose? "Meltdown" is far more affecting than either of them.

While I enjoyed "Arnold's Christmas", I have to take that line too. The plot is all too familiar and you don't need to play the Christmas holidays card to deliver a tearjerker. There are so many family reunion stories out there... How is this one better than the others? And how is it unique and deserving enough of the title of Greatest Episode Ever? If this is the reception that a Hey Arnold! Christmas special gets from you guys, I wonder how you'd react to the multitude of similar Christmas specials that are already out there.

Don't worry, I like her. ;) But "Mayhem of the Music Meister!" has the vocal talents of Neil Patrick Harris, Grey DeLisle (who was Sally Avril on TSSM), James Arnold Taylor (Harry Osborn on TSSM) and John DiMaggio (Hammerhead on TSSM). It's great entertainment.

10. SpideyFan914

Are there other family reunion stories? Yes. Are there other family reunion stories involving a dark and serious undertone of war and separation disguised as a children's TV show? Probably, but I can't think of any....

This isn't just some cliche, feel-good story, and it's not about family alone. It's about miracles, about hope, about despair, about the people in our lives we don't typically give a second thought about. In fact, it's somewhat surprising that they were able to get it produced - some producers would probably steer away from the war tone in a kid's show. It's about all the horrible **** in the world, about the people who win up on the bottom, and makes you appreciate the little things in life. You don't need to be tragedy to be memorable.

Heck, as much as I love Mr. Freeze, his story is FAR more cliche than Arnold's Christmas. A guy loses his wife and becomes a supervillain. Supervillain tries to reform but life sucks. Tragic villain dies. Diabolical villain fights hero. Yup, heard it before. Time after time after time after time.

11. Frostbite200

Frostbite200 New Member

Agreed. They both inherit cliches and both a great episodes, but Arnold's Christmas wins hands down in my book, because it makes you cry and smile in a twenty minute period. Where's Meltdown focuses on the tragedy and vague redemption of Mr. Freeze.

12. Blankments

Blankments The Sparkle Rises!

This. Arnold's Christmas is amazing in the way that it is actually the only Hey Arnold! episode I have watched the whole way through, and it still made me cry and smile, and I rarely cry with TV shows; in fact, I can only name three other times. Arnold's Christmas is, for lack of a better word, breathtaking.

13. Frostbite200

Frostbite200 New Member

Yeah, I never liked Arnold much, but this one...what you said!:sweat:

14. Superpan

Superpan Member

The key difference between some comments is that I thought that episode was boring and generic. Please note, I was watching Liberty's Kids at the same time, so I was watching TONS of animated war. So that didn't strike me as unique.

Also, can you name ONE supervillain who had that story before 1992? Which one? Any?

15. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Alright ladies and gentleman it's time to announce the winner of Greatest Episode Ever!
    Lets start with the Top 5
    5th Place
    Scooby Doo episode 21 Jeepers It's The Creeper
    [​IMG]
    4th Place
    Batman The Brave and Bold episode 24 Mayhem of The Music Meister
    [​IMG]
    3rd Place
    Batman Beyond episode 5 Meltdown

[​IMG]
    2nd Place
    Spectacular Spiderman episode 25 Opening Night
    [​IMG]
    and now the moment you all be waiting for The 1st Place Winner of The Greatest Episode Ever goes to..........
    Hey Arnold episode 11 Arnold's Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:anime::anime::anime::anime:
    [​IMG]

Thank you all for playing :anime:
    [​IMG]

16. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Loving that Top 5, especially the winner.

17. SpideyFan914

Meltdown was made WAY after 1992....
    Here's a list of tragic villains anyway: Magneto (Holocaust survivor), Jackal (death of Gwen), Two-Face (life in ruin), Harry Osborn (where do I begin?), every villain in BTAS (Mad Hatter, Riddler, Clayface, etc., etc., etc. ....), and so on (Alistaire Smythe, Richard Fisk, ....), and so forth (Lady Deathstrike, Harley Quinn, ....).

Anyway, YAY for Arnold's Christmas! :anime: Meltdown SHOULD have gotten second though.... Too bad crade had to change his vote and ruin it....

18. cradleman

cradleman Member

2nd is just first loser. doesn't bother me that much. cept i should have killed Arnold's Christmas 2 rounds ago. :(

19. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Congrats to "Arnold's Christmas" (though I would've preferred a different winner).

He's talking about Mr. Freeze's origin episode, "Heart of Ice".

Yeah, but with Mr. Freeze it stands out more due to Michael's Ansara's cold monotone vocal performance, the way Mr. Freeze is portrayed visually in his DCAU appearances, the beautiful dialogue crafted by writers like Paul Dini (listen to the opening and closing monologues in "Heart of Ice" again) and his touching theme music. It's about more than just the villain's motivation and origin.

20. SpideyFan914

Yeah, I know, but that one wasn't even nominated for the competition, so....

So the difference with Mr. Freeze is that he's well done? Well then, that's the difference with Arnold's Christmas. ;)