Girl power cartoons that are good

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Wussycat, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Fan of Sponge

Fan of Sponge Active Member

The types of girls power cartoons are quite confusing when branding them. Many of these cartoons crossover into the different styles or are described in many ways. There should be a scale on the matter. Juniper Lee is quite possibly at the top of being more tomboyish and less magicial. Kim Possible, Sailor Moon, Winx Club, and Totally Spies are somewhere near the middle where teenage elements are into use with the elements. Powerpuff Girls are truely at the bullseye showing both many characteristics of tomboyish and magicial elements at the same time. Towards the bottom you have Mew Mew Power, Bratz, and other magicial girls cartoons which are at most of the time, anime.

2. Bubblegum Girl

Bubblegum Girl Magic User Wannabe

I enjoy watching these "Girl Super Hero" cartoons:

Powerpuff Girls
    Kim Possible
    My Life As A Teenage Robot
    The Life & Times of Junpier Lee
    Atomic Betty

Even though there's lots of girl hero cartoons/anime, I've failed to see an African-American girl super hero cartoon(Maybe there is one and I haven't seen it or heard of it :sweat: )

#22 Bubblegum Girl, Mar 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2006
  3. rmarti3926

rmarti3926 Enforcing galatic law

Sailor Moon
    Powerpuff Girls
    Totally Spies

'nuff said.

4. havokpryde

havokpryde Member

A forgotten one

Anyone remember Atomic Betty? Yeah thought so.

5. Rover_Wow

Rover_Wow Active Member

(starts singing) Dogstar Sirius Is So Delirious, Don't You Wish I Was There?

...er, that's pretty much most of what I remember of this show. This show? Not too interesting for me.

6. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

I seriously recommend watching Fruits Basket. It has a great female protragonist, a very moving story, and a lot hilarious moments. Unfortunately, it isn't on TV, so try to find the DVDs of it.

7. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

The only i can think of about black girls at all was Proud Family which was not all that good. But at least they tried.

8. judyindisguise

judyindisguise Active Member

Wanda on FOP could be called a good girl character. She's smart, powerful, capable and goodhearted. Trouble is, in the cartoon she's constantly put down for being all that, so I guess that aces FOP out as being a good girl power cartoon.

IMO Inuyasha is a good girl power cartoon, even though the main character is male. All of the female characters are terrific.

9. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

Well, for me, there's the populars.

The Powerpuff Girls, W.i.t.c.h., Sailor Moon, My Life as a Teenage Robot, and Kim Possible... and early episodes of Totally Spies!.

Does that analogy even make sense? Or, is it even the least bit tasteful?

10. DarthNuriko

DarthNuriko Shishiwakamaru Fangirl

What do you think Sailor Moon is?

11. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

There is nothing wrong with that statement. Just pointing out that there are lots of cartoons about skinny white girls and none about fat black girls or fat white girls or even fat spanish girls lol.But the truth is all the girl cartoons are about skinny white girl so there.

12. Wanted

Wanted Toonmaster

And, the creators of these shows are whom? It only makes sense.

When there are more African-American creators and producers, then maybe you'll get your wish... or, at least half of it. I don't know what kind of kid a "fat black girl" animation program would appeal to. Even then, your statement does come off a bit racist... and, it's not very insightful in the least. You come off as you're joking, and that doesn't help when trying to justify your declarations.

13. havokpryde

havokpryde Member

Something must be said

The fact that your username is mammy2shoes, I took your reference about fat, black girls as a nod to your username. However, I am suprised that you were allowed to have that as your username.

And I might ask what is your obsession with fat people. The Surgeon General, and accurately, said that obesity kills more people than terrorists, and it is well known that it fast becoming a major problem in America. Why not have a chain smoker, or a crack addict. Granted these are more extreme flaws than obesity, but flaws none the less. Notice I do not mean thick, or curvy, I mean just plain out overweight.

I agree that there needs to be more girl and/or minority leads in shows, but it is only natural for creators to create people, especially protagonists like them. As the industry is dominated by white males, who do you think dominates the shows. It will be solved, and in time, as more women and minorities become creators.

Edit: To differentiate between thick and fat.

14. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

Better watch it, someone may claim your post is too P.C. and deem it just pandering to people other than white males, God forbid.:yawn:

15. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

Now whats wrong with the screen name if they have :twoshoes: as a smiley and I'm black not there there is any wrong with the name if I was white. I don't have a obsession with fat people but lets see I'm 5-10 250 and my wife is 6-0 275 so yeah matter of fact I'm fat and so is my wife so I wouldn't mind seeing fat people on tv. I'm happy being fat and since most people aren't skinny like the wink club girls (now that can't be healthy I mean in a wind storm wouldn't they snap in half lol). I'm sorry as far as surgeon genral I have somewhere they can stick that lol. Skinny people get sick too and I don't think its healthy for little girls to see this shows featureing they stick figures walking around like thats cool and healthy because to get that skinny its not. They need to make shows about real people not the extremes 90bls skinny or the 400 pound fat people that dominate cartoons.

PS your post was too PC lol.

16. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

I remember Atomic Betty ^^

I like it... saw the full half hour episode where Betty lost her bracelet?

17. havokpryde

havokpryde Member

Me, PC, Indeed.

Nice call.

That your call, and whatever makes your boat float. From your post you sound more like thick, not fat. Neither one is healthy, the best thing is moderation, as for most things in life.

If I was being PC I might have said something like waistline enhanced, plus sized. It's all good though.

18. mammy2shoesfan

mammy2shoesfan bigJnyc

I just have no problem with the term fat I can live with it lol, but I know some people think its a ugly ugly word me I can deal with it and don't like feel good words like thick to make me feel better.:D

19. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

In my region of the country, "thick" is short for "thick-headed"; ie, stupid. IIRC, it was used that way in 'Men In Black': "You are so thick!"

So I wouldn't advise using it as a euphemism for "fat" around here.

20. havokpryde

havokpryde Member

Deep South

I am in the South, the Deep South. Actually I am in Savannah. So granted I was using local dialect. And thick is not an euphemism for fat, but its on the scale.
    (unhealthy) twiggy->slim (okay) -> moderate (perfect) -> thick/big (okay) -> overweight (unhealthy)

Merely different levels. But yes it can it can mean that too, like most words it is a matter of context and situation. If I have been arguing with you for 2 hours straight about something, then I would say your thick. Girls, I am talking about body weight. Actually, that term is never used for guys, I think big is the proper term.