General Disney Company Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Jun 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

One, Two, Three, Four, I declare a Disneywar (Book)!

That's true KingMinos, and in fact this farce is about to turn down right ugly when within the next two weeks after The shareholder convention (Which is this Friday and anyone can listen to), is the Release of a book called DisneyWar by Pulitzer Prize winner, James Stuart, and here's the actual Proof article for all those skeptics

In this Huge, 804 page book (which will be available in late February or Early March (March 7th is the tentative release date), Readers will be able to look at the Real 'Dark' Inner Workings of The Walt Disney Company , Including all the "in-House" Fighting and arguements... including the now infamous 140 Million Dollar hiring and then subsequent firing of Michael Ovitz.. (and beleive me when you have a book that is larger then most Dictionaries, that describes the workings of Disney, it makes you really wonder how far The Disney Company has sunk.

But here's the actual Story.. for those lazybones not wanting to click on the link:

Now from what folks have told me Disneywar looks like this will be the ultimate "Tell all book "and it isn't only about Ovitz and Eisner, but of the entire 411 on the board as it stands today.. (After all In a related Article Sanford M. Litvack, a former Disney Legal Adviser and former board member who later quit Disney, after the Ovitz Scandal, and joined up with Hewlett Packard, just quit HP this week, and in fact the reason for that is because of pressure from retirement funds Like CalPERS, and others for his "Conflict of Interest" within the HP Company.. (Now if This had been known years ago.. and in fact this will be shown in the Book, Litvack is perhaps one of the "key Players" that will help cause the downfall of Disney.. and in fact it's just a curiosity that now Retirement funds are now finding out that Mr. Litvack is perhaps a bad sign of what is to come..(After all When Mr. Ovitz First Reported to Litvack during their Initial Meeting* the Adimant Litvack reported saying that he would not report to Mr. Ovitz..

Kind of odd that this book will be the beginning of the end here, and especially when potential CEO, President, and even Chairman of the Board Positions are coming up for Disney To fill..

pretty sad statment all around

*Note: the aritcle that talks about this is on a series on CNBC : On Assignment, Rebellion in the Magic Kingdom, and is in fact CNBC's take on the Ovitz Trial..

In short, it's dark days ahead and I sure hope the Walt Disney Company can come back from these hard hitting facts.

Your thoughts?

:coyote:
    [/size]

2. tucsoncoyote

Disney Dissidents to withhold Board votes..

Alright this just in and this is all over the news..

Round 2 is beginning and for good reason..

Seems that Roy Disney and Stanley Gold have decided to now question the Disney Board's Credibility.. This story from Reuters.

Now the question I have to bring up at this point is this.. Credibility of the Board.. They made a promise to put Someone in as CEO by June.. Let's see if they can keep their word.. if not.. Well I expect the revolution at Disney to begin by 2006.. and Seeing already the list of Movies and shows that Disney is planning to offfer.. Keeping that June 2005 deadline and having Eisner step out of office is going to be just another headache to an every growring Migraine..

Your thoughts?

3. JDWeil

JDWeil Active Member

This is from weekly Variety:

Toon Posturing Gets Animated
    Mouse Touts Solo Efforts but Keeps Back Door Open To Pixar
    By Jill Goldsmith

It's the biggest pic pact that is - but isn't.​
    The unusual status of Disney's CEO succession has left the Pixar partnership in limbo, with most Wall Streeters - as indicated by Pixar's lofty stock price - assuming it will be renewed even as execs on both sides say talks are dead and Disney moves forward solo with a new studio and script for Toy Story 3.
    At a crowded investor meeting in Orlando last week,Disney was intent on showcasing its in-house animation lineup with a special presentation by animation chief David Stainton and longtime animator Glen Keane, diector of Disney's CGI Rapunzel Unbraided.​
    In clips, Keane noted the luscious backgrounds inspired by a Fragonard painting and the velvety softness of the princess's skin, an effect he said hasn't been achieved in CGI.​
    Eisner, less tactfully called the Disney-Pixar pics "pretty pathetic" artistically speaking, compared with efforts like Rapunzel.​
    Depending on whom you ask, Pixar needs Disney more - or, Disney needs Pixar more.​
    If Chicken Little - the Mouse House's first CGI pic sans Pixar - disappoints, Disney's up against it. Then again, if Cars the final pic under the current Pixar-Disney pact, underperforms, Pixar's stock, hovering at $90 a share is likely to be toast.​
    Some say Pixar must announce a new distribution deal 18 months before its next pic - the one after Cars - comes out. Others say Pixar can fully finance its next film and ink a new deal at its leisure.​
    Meanwhile. the two companies strenuously insist that pushing back the Cars release from fall of '05 to summer of '06 was purely box office motivated, since Cars looks like an ideal summer pic.​
    But move is probably a play for more time as both wait for Michael Eisner to pass the torch.​
    The Disney board plans to announce a new chief Mouseketeer in June.​

4. Uncle Beaglebub

Uncle Beaglebub Black Jack

5. tucsoncoyote

The Seven Deadly Sins 1 year later.

I have to agree here Unclebeaglebub, and in fact I was going to now ask a rather unique question.. since it's been a year..

Has anything at the Walt Disney Company REALLY Improved?

I'm going to go back about a year ago to that fateful post that started my crusade to see "Positive Change" for the Walt Disney company.. and in fact this is perhaps my best work ever. It's called...The Seven Deadly SIns of The Walt Disney Company. " and it showed the flaws that have happended to make Roy Disney and Stanley Gold leave the company, and take with them a number of people..

and in that year since that post has anything really improved.. ?

Let's Go over each Segment point by pont.. and we'll accurately see what has happened and what hasn't...

1. The failure to bring back ABC Prime Time from the ratings abyss it has been in for years and your inability to program successfully the ABC Family Channel. Both of these failures have had, and I believe will continue to have, significant adverse impact on shareholder value. (PRIDE)

Now in this past 12 months has anything on these channels really improved? Well Yes and no.. Yes in the fact that it has improved.. but No it hasn't improved for the better... After all Remember ABC and ABC Family are family Channels that should carry enterrainment for well, the Entire family..

Ratings have improved, slightly over at ABC Family especially after the introduction of things like Jetx (the animated block) and shows Like Smallvill and the Gilmore Girls (Both Formerly WB Shows) but have the ratings improved enormously? No they have not..

ABC this year had a better run with shows Like Desperate Housewives and Lost, but these shows aren't for the under 18 group..(With blood, guts, and secrets.. Kids' shouldn't be watching these shows.. Home Makeover is the only show I could see that has improved the channel but beyond that.. it's still the same.

2. Your consistent micro-management of everyone around you with the resulting loss of morale throughout the Company. (WRATH or ANGER)

Now Micromanagment on the level of the case we are looking at not only applies to the TV and movie companies but the theme parks as well. and frankly things here have not really improved either.

Over the last year there has been yet another accident at Big Thunder Mountain, and of course rather then letting the parks remain closed after a hurricane (or in this case 3 hurricanes over a one month period) Disney instead opened up these parks without seond considering the safety of their Visitors.. also Attendance at the parks have been down.. (Due to the large gas crisis this last summer and those hurricanes) Micromanagement has gotten tighter, and in fact You can't even talk about the Animation studio anymore unless you are talking about 3 D films (Toy story 3 or Chicken Little).

And what about DIsney Shows? 15 new shows over the next 4 years.. sounds crazy right? Well I hate to say this.. but I told someone about that.. and they laughed.. they're not laughing now.. (Also where has all the great Disney Classical DA Shows gone? Straight into the vault.. gathering dust.. and popular shows? Going over to Toon "Graveyard" Disney.. all for the way to make space for those 15 new shows.. Nice Micromanaging.. if you're brain dead!

but all in all that too hasn't changed..

3. The timidity of your investments in our theme park business. At Disney's California Adventure, Paris and now in Hong Kong, you have tried to build parks "on the cheap" and they show it and the attendance figures reflect it. (SLOTH/GLUTTONY)

Again Euro-disney Dodged a bullet, and in fact Walt Disney World took 3 hits from 3 Hurricanes this last year.. yet did The Walt DIsney Company Blink and say" We'll keep the visitors happy? Or did they just re-open the parks with tree limbs scattered around? Alsow Safety is now an issue at the parks Most Notably Walt Disney world Just recently I found this article and numerous others, and it made me cringe.. has keeping people safe been forgotten? or is this an issue of "Look the other way.. I wonder.. ..

4. The perception by all of our stakeholders -- consumers, investors, employees, distributors and suppliers -- that the company is rapacious, soul-less, and always looking for the "quick buck" rather than long-term value which is leading to a loss of public trust. (GREED)

Now this hasn't changed in the least.. Last October Disney sold off it's entire Disney Store line (except for a few stores to Children's Place in a deal..Yet less then 2 months later is cutting a deal with ESPN and Electronic arts for the next 15 years.. All the while forgettting about the Applause LLC CEO Suicide that killed that company off and it's CEO (Literally more then figureatively.. and all the while saying to us that they're regaining our trust (By Offering us substandard computers, Diapers, and even microwavble Dinners, and Paper Towels.. Is this really any way to build trust? Or are then really improving by letting us watch what we want to watch (Refer back to the Micromanagement..) in short.. They've Still Not improved... not in the last 366.25 days..

5. The creative "brain drain" of the last several years, which is real and continuing, and damages our Company with the loss of every talented employee. (GLUTTONY/SLOTH)

Now has this situation improve at all? Apparently not as well with the termination of some of it's shows (like Kim Possible and Lilo and Stitch) and the threatened termination of other s (That's so Raven) Disney is quickly draining it's creativity pool. and is putting on shows that lack creativity..(Need i remind folks of Brandy and Mr. Whiskers..) However some shows have been creative.. Witch for example is an exception to the rule.. American Dragon:Jake Long is slowly improving but really with too much hip hop slang and skatebording it's amazing that folks aren't turning off these shows already..Also Shia LeBeouf (From Even Steven's has returned.. but frankly who wants to watch Him play golf in a movie? Or for that matter Talented Lindsay Lohann Drive a SOuped up VW.. frankly I'm questioning this part as well..

6.Your failure to establish and build constructive relationships with creative partners, especially Pixar, Miramax, and the cable companies distributing our products. (ENVY)

At this point Miramax is gone.. (and it's taking 11 Academy awards with it.. for the Aviator) Pixar has a smash with the Incredibles (and is still leaving after Cars) and what has disney done to fix this deal? Nothing.. What has Disney done to sooth it's tensions with the former Miss Hilary Duff? Nada.. and what has Disney done to Improve it's performance? Zip.. after all We all don't want to remember Hidalgo, The Alamo, or even Around the world in 80 Days .. or for that matter King Arthur.. We don't want to remember the near scandal with Farenheit 9/11 or even the lackluster performance of Mr. 3000.. if this was Disney's Best year producing big budget movies, it was it's worst year (ending September 30th 2004, ) dealing with making money on box office bombs.. in fact the only thing I can say tha was bright was Miramax with it's 2 films.. Kill Bill Vol. 2 and Hero... and now their gone.. will Miramax be back? hardly.. what about Pixar.. Questionable at best.. and probably not at worst.. and what do we have to offer this year? Herbie, The Shaggy Dog, and of course.. Casanova.. Plus the two words that best describe this sitch..(Don't Panic!) (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy..) so I'm still optimistic but still barely..)

7. Your consistent refusal to establish a clear succession plan. (LUST)

again we come back to this issue.. Eisner last year on March 3rd, 2004, was told.. step down and retire.. and yet in the last year has he? He has not.. in fact it took some rather angry threatening talk by some retirement funds to make him listen.. yet as the last 12 month have dragged on, we've hardly heard of what is going on.. That was until October when The Ovitz Trial started up.. and since then we've watched Mr. Eisner act like he normally acts.. and he's not batted an eye.. and for what do we get for his performance? Lower Qualtiy family Enterrainment.. No New Disney Afternoon DVD's, Re-edited and special Edition Sequels..(Mulan 2 and Bambi 2 nd Toy Story 3) and guess what? He's still thumbing his nose at us.. laughing as he takes our money and gives us very little to enjoy..

Frankly the lines still haven't changed.. we're still waiting for it to happen.. will it happen? Probably not in 2005, but if it does well we'll be ready for it.. cause Rober Iger can't be worse can he? (or maybe we should all read DisneyWar by James B Stuart.. After all I've got the money to spend.. might as well see really what went wrong.. and how to fix it in 2006..

and still the Adult is running Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.. It's time for someone who's still a child at heart to come in show how it should be run..

*BTW don't forget folks you can listen here today (Starting at 11 am Eastern / 8 Pacific)* at the sharehodlers' meeting in Minneapolis.. hope you have your self a wonderul day!

*Adjust accordingly for your time zone!
    11:00 AM Eastern
    10:00 AM Central
    9:00 AM Mountain
    8:00 AM Pacific.

Edited Note: as I sit here listening to the shareholder meeting and the business.. Miss Davis is back.. with a VENGANCE!:D

#305 tucsoncoyote, Feb 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2005
  6. JDWeil

JDWeil Active Member

According to CNN, Michael Eisner has been re-elected as CEO by the Board Of Directors so it'll be business as usual at Disney for the forseeable future.

7. tucsoncoyote

The St. Valentines Day Massacre of 2006..Disney Style (or find me a CEO!)

That's true.. but that foreseeable future is coming up fast here and in fact now I'm concerned.. and for Good reason JD...

Frankly if you heard the webcast yesterday.. Mr. George Mitchell is on a rather tight schedule to help find a New CEO.. After all the deal on the succession plan is this.. The Walt Disney Company has until the End of June 2005, (just 4 months away) , to find a new CEO for their company.. or face the wrath of the shareholders. for not keeping their promises...

Frankly that's a tight schedule.. and in fact already within the company they have Robert Iger as the prime target to be "Tapped " for the CEO..

Frankly though I think if you listened to that Webcast yesterday.. you hear the voice of Reason within "Crazy Lady Davis" (Yep her..)

She actually Voted AGAINST IGER to remain on the board.. and for good reason.. seems that she's not too happy with the Way ABC and Disney are working together.. with their Top two rated shows not being of "Family Enterrainment (and only appealing to 18-49 year olds..) she has a right to be upset.. and angry..

Frankly though getting back to the issue at hand JD.. Disney is on a Tight Schedule.. they have 120 days to pick a successor.. what if they pick Iger? Disney will not get better, and they have stalled so long that Now the Shareholders (like Miss Davis ) are getting ancy..

so would it not be surprising in 2006 to see a repeat of 2004's Shareholder revolt, but in a much Grander scale? Say on the order of a complete "Coup D'Etat?" I am starting to think that if Disney doesn't start moving their patookies off their seats and looking hard and fast.. there's going to be what I love to call "The St. Valentines Day Massacre.." for Disney..

that's really All I have to say..

8. Dee

Dee What?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.