Gargoyles #1 - 12 "Clan Building" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, Jun 21, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment on "Gargoyles"

1. *****

56.3%
  2. ****1/2

12.5%
  3. ****

18.8%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

6.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

6.3%
  1. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Great cover!

2. Conekiller

Conekiller On the Cruise!

Ahhh, It's been a while since we've had some Coldsteel action! BRING IT ON! (now I only hope my local comic shop gets it in. I hate having to wait for trips to Orlando to pick up issues)

3. GregX

GregX Active Member

Okay, before I review "Gargoyles".

Holy crap... Dr. Doom got his ass kicked! Okay, we've seen him get beaten before, but not like that.

Now, with that out of the way...

Okay, so the entire issue takes place in London, with the exceptions of Shari telling Thailog more about the history of the Stone of Destiny.
    Macbeth and King Arthur team-up, and Lexington and Hudson team up with the London gargoyles, Sir Griff, Staghart (Amp) and Constance (Coco).

Xanatos unleashes Coldsteel, Coyote 5.0 and two Steel Clan robots to attack the gargoyles in what has to be a distraction while he steals the Stone.

Speaking of Amp. I began to suspect it in December, so I'm calling it here... Amp is going to be Lexington's "special friend".

I loved the bit where Arthur and Macbeth are talking about why they're not centuries dead.

Arthur: ... mortally wounded in 542. So they shipped me off to some Magic Hill and put me to sleep for a thousand four hundred fifty-three years.
    Macbeth: Sounds lovely.
    Arthur: And you?
    Macbeth: Deal with a demon in 1040. Officially died in 1057... been sleep-walking for nine hundred thirty-nine years.
    Arthur: .... Guess I got the better bargain.

Then they toast to the immortals (toast Nightstone coffee! Demona and Thailog started their own Starbucks, they are EVIL!) and we get implication that Shari is immortal.

Oh, and Coldstone and Coldfire are back too. Though, I wouldn't call in the kitchen sink yet. Now, if Demona and Tony Dracon popped on over with Eric and Gunther Sturlisson, then yeah, I would expect the kitchen sink next.

4. Knightmare

Knightmare Active Member

Great issue, I love the way that everything is slowly coming to a boil. I love COCO, she's my new favorite gargoyle.

5. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

I wonder when Demona will show up at least so we can see what she thinks about Shari with Thailog.

6. GregX

GregX Active Member

Not until at least #13. She's still lying low after the events of "Hunter's Moon" which, were less than a month ago in "Gargoyles" time.

7. Ian

Ian ¬°Mierda santa! ¬°Ninjas!

Not much to say about this issue, considering that the usual hodgepodge of characters and subplots is absent here. Still, very nice; the time-skipping, while not essetial to the plot per se, seems to be playing the same role it does in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: it makes what is otherwise a straight-forward story much more interesting to witness. The lack of Brooklyn is a always a plus.

Predictions: Team Mecha will be dispatched without much trouble, but Xanatos' back-up plan will succeed, but not without collateral damage, to everyone's regret. Fox will look awesome in her new shoes, until a bad fall breaks a heel.

8. Triant

Triant Member

I almost forgot about this, since it seemed like forever between issues. Also, did I miss an issue of 'Bad Guys' somewhere? I've only seen #1.

9. GregX

GregX Active Member

The comics have sat in Disney's approval office for a while. The good news is, it allowed #2 AND #3 to be completed, so they should both be out soon.

10. spidl

spidl Active Member

Since I have had so much trouble with the comics I get being out of order for this series I am not sure if the story was supposed to be this jumbled together or if my pages were screwed up again. The story seemed to jump around a lot without any rhyme or reason half the time.

11. GregX

GregX Active Member

It was supposed to be like that. Read the letters page in the back.

12. spidl

spidl Active Member

OK, then that was a bad idea. The story had no flow and it was a real distraction.

13. GregX

GregX Active Member

Personally, I did not find it distracting. It required some re-reads and a deeper analysis, but that's not a bad thing.

Greg Weisman says:

14. GregX

GregX Active Member

From JEB's con report.

- Bad Guys #4 is complete and will be out very soon. Bad Guys #5 is 3/4 inked, 1/4 still needing work, according to Karine. Bad Guys #6 was just over half scripted before Greg came to the con.
    - Gargoyles #9 will be Hedgecock's final issue as artist; he simply can't keep up with the pace. Gargoyles #10 is being drawn at this time. Gargoyles #11 will be scripted after Greg finishes with Red Tornado #2. Greg doesn't know who will be doing the art for #11 or #12.
    - Now that Disney has its own comic company ("Kingdom Comics", apparently), they may be reluctant to allow SLG to keep their license. Even if they let SLG keep it, they may increase the fee, in which case Dan Vado might have to drop it. (Although Gargoyles is SLG's best-selling title, the cost of the license fee cuts into those profits quite a bit already.)
    - Although Greg originally planned otherwise, the next spin-off title after Bad Guys will be Dark Ages. There's a story for that that keeps poking him in the head, so he's placed it ahead of Pendragon. (The story wants told so urgently that he joked he might have to do it in some form even if he can't do it as a comic.) Unlike Bad Guys, Dark Ages will not be a series pilot of sorts, but rather a story that covers a substantial span of time. It will include the Children of Oberon; Othello, Desdemona, and Iago; and Hippolyta. Greg first conceived of the idea three years ago.
    - Bad Guys is black-and-white for purely economic reasons, but both Karine and Greg think the story works well that way.
    - There is every intention to release Bad Guys and the second six issues of Gargoyles as trade paperbacks. Bad Guys will remain in black-and-white when it becomes a trade.
    - Dan Vado's main interest is in the primary Gargoyles title, so after Bad Guys is done, they will need to sit back and assess if doing a spin-off is worthwhile. If no more spin-offs are forthcoming, Greg may integrate elements from them into the main title.
    - The new spin-off schedule is six issues of Dark Ages, then six issues of Pendragon, then six issues of Timedancer.
    - Greg still has a second story arc in mind for Bad Guys.
    - After Gargoyles #12, story arcs will be six issues long.
    - Disney has been rather hands-off with Gargoyles, except for some issues with, of all things, grammar. They critiqued Hudson's accent in issue #1 (apparently not remembering that Hudson spoke that way in the series, too), and they though Shari's "The story is told..." introductions were too awkward. Greg won both times.
    - The benefit that Coyote 5.0 receives from the Coyote Diamond is an enhanced A.I. (Coyote 5.0's mental processes are light-based, and the Diamond speeds them up.)
    - No Children of Oberon will appear in the next few issues.
    - Bad Guys is set around January 1997; the end of the Clan-Building arc in Gargoyles will catch it up to around that time.
    - Greg decided Thailog was an Illuminatus after the series ended but a while back - maybe 1999. There's a story there that Greg would like to tell someday, but not in the immediate future.
    - Oberon and Titania were consciously designed to be not white (as in, Caucasian).
    - Sevarius isn't really worried about danger from Thailog, as he has more options for employment out there. Besides, Thailog isn't likely to harm Sevarius as long as he's useful. But Sevarius is just arrogant enough to overestimate his value.
    - Greg noted how he and Neil Gaiman seem to write about a lot of the same stuff. He doesn't think it's likely they would collaborate on anything, because Neil either doesn't know him or might even think ill of him (after disapproving of Greg's use of Death of the Endless in a Captain Atom comic).
    - The comic version of "The Journey" replaces the televised version, so all 13 episodes of The Goliath Chronicles are officially non-canon.
    - In response to a question about Shari and Thailog's relationship: Keith opined that if he was in a hot tub playing chess with a willing woman by his side... more than his chess piece would be moving.

#294 GregX, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2008
  15. Paul_Cousins

Paul_Cousins Active Member

Thank you for the update GregX, come what may at least we know that Gargoyles is SLG's top selling comic title and that will help the chances of Gargoyles being continued.

16. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

For a while, in my TZ noob days, I thought GregX was Greg Weisman.:anime: LOL, I'm an idiot.

I'm going to order the Gargoyles TPB off Amazon tonight. I've finished watching all the canon seasons and am ready for the comic.

17. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

For those who are hesitating to pick up the title,

Might I suggest you read this:
    http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/05/30...iews-tonoharu/

Anyway, to my understanding, many who have watched the series on occasion or haven't seen it in awhile have been hesitant to pick up the comic for the feeling of being confused. So I hope that the link I posted will help you to decide in picking up the title.

Basically the link leads to a review of someone who hasn't seen the show in awhile and read the first six issues of the comic in trade format. The reviewer mentions having no trouble at catching up with the story despite lack of viewing the series and I figure that this review would be more convincing than those from regular fans.

18. Junkion

Junkion Member

If Disney doesn't allow SLG to keep the license would Greg Weisman still be in charge of it?

19. GregX

GregX Active Member

Huh? I don't understand the question. Greg Weisman doesn't own "Gargoyles" and never has. He's the writer and creator. If Disney were interested in publishing the comics themselves (which I doubt), one would hope they'd let him keep writing it.

That being said, Disney has always been in charge of it. I.e. they approve everything. Thankfully they've pretty much let Greg do anything he wants.

20. Junkion

Junkion Member

An executive producer is in charge of his television show but he still has superiors to answer to. A store manager is in charge of a store but still has superiors to answer to. He's in charge of the comics.

Never said he owned them.