"Gambit (X-Men)" Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by the greenman, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again this is the FOURTH time a release date for Gambit has been changed or altered, a lot of the time due to directorial issues. Who wants to be this won't be the last of these as we could see this movie get pushed to 2020 and beyond at the rate it's going? I mean even though I threw down the whole "spectacles" bit last time I still had a bit of hope but... yeah this shake up dashes a lot of it especially as they now don't even have a director for this movie at all going forward so who knows exactly what's going to happen with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

This is never happening.

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Happy Holidays
    Staff Member Moderator

They keep attracting these ideal directors to this but none seem to stick. I love Gambit and I think there's a good movie to be made of the character but I don't think this is a property that warrants all of the years of development and setbacks.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

To be fair, I'm sure many people thought the same about Deadpool.

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Nowhere like this.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

6. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Actually Deadpool was in development hell for about this long. Granted, that always had a better shot of getting made but it is not unprecedented for comic book films to take years or even decades to make it to the screen.

Keep in mind Superman and Batman shared the screen for the first time a couple of years ago and the Justice League film only came out last year. Superhero projects and development hell is nothing new.

7. Neo Ultra Mike

Yeah but Deadpool was actually able to get out of development hell thanks to strong fan demand. Granted it was because someone leaked a small test clip of what DP movie could look like (which some still trace back to Ryan Reynolds himself leaking) that went viral and showed FOX there was a strong interest in the project, but there was still a particularly big outcry of people who wanted to see it. Also helped by how incredible a top comic seller Wade Wilson is and... Remy is a popular X-Men character nowhere near that level of particular popularity. I mean I look around a Barnes and Nobles and I see over a dozen plus collection and trades of Deadpool story and... nothing really from Gambit.

Let's be honest though: the only reason we got a World's Finest movie on the screen and then Justice League is because the DC was trying to compete with Marvel and how well the Avengers did and thus wanting to push out they're biggest and most well known properties out. Which... majorly backfired on them and are the kind of mistakes I don't think another comic company or even division wants to try.

Not to mention with Gambit the biggest push to make the movie probably relies with Channing Tatum and his associates and... it's going to take more then that to get it made. Not to mention that though there have been several movies to go through development hell and several projects that keep having pitches made for them, I can't think of any that keep being rejected or held back and reshuffled so many time due to saying they're going to production, and then something happening and them not. i mean stuff like the Nicholas Cage Superman movie or the 2000's JL movie have been documented but there was still space between them and they were still fairly separate pitches. These last few years we've kept hearing about the Tatum Gambit movie being talked about and then being pushed back and then someone else coming and someone else leaving to direct it and all these other issues. Again if it happens and if it goes into production, I have no problem with that and wish them well. But thas has been something that otherwise deserves a lot of skeptism and trepidation with how constant the fails to even make the movie are. Heck at least even New Mutants was actually put into production and finished in some form before it's FIRST delay and again, on 4 with old Remy at least.

8. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Longer if we go by when a Gambit solo was in the cards - 2014.
    A Deadpool movie was being considered back in 2004. Reese and Wernick were attached in 2010, Tim Miller the year after, and a good 3 years of radio silence before test footage.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Probably for the best...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

To the surprise of absolutely no-one.

12. the greenman

Well, the suits had to look at Tatum's B.O. draw. Logan Lucky and Kingsmen 2 fell kinda flat on audiences. These films were ensemble pieces as well. He would need a successful John Wick-esque film to get things going. Right now, of course they wouldn't want to move forward.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Neo Ultra Mike

I don't know if you can really consider that the problem behind this the greenman since

1. We've had issues concerning actually going into full on production with this movie and directors leaving all the way back since 2014 when Channing Tatum was actually considering an upcoming box office A lister talent with the 21 Jump Street films, Magic Mike and heck even Oscar contenders like Foxcatcher under his belt. Yeah the next year from that Tatum was in the very decisive and under-performing Jupiter Ascending, but that was blamed much more on the Watchoowskis then on any of the cast as Tatum was still a hot talent and yet the movie couldn't be made for 2016. Years later and we're still having this issue. Plus

2. Can you really say "the suits aren't sure of the main actor's BO draw as the reason they don't want to make this movie" considering what happened with Ryan Reynolds with Deadpool. Sans the Proposal (which you could attribute much more to Sandra Bullock anyway) Reynolds hadn't starred on screen in a popular movie (he did co star as a voice in The Croods but don't know how much you can attribute him with that either, especially as his other Dreamworks animated movie in 2013 Turbo did much worse) in like 10 years at least. And he's had way worse flops with stuff like Green Lantern, The Change Up, RIPD, Self/less and other failures under his belt. And despite that Deadpool still wound up going into production and actually being made and going on to be incredibly successful and honestly picking up Reynolds career.

So really if the studio was fully committed or there again was a lot of love and attention for this film from the fans in wanting to be made we would of seen it enter production already but yeah there is a lack of interest in the property and clear FOX realizes that thus haven't been able to nail down an actual production date for this. I mean even with it's delay at least New Mutants was actually FILMED while yeah this just keeps getting pushed backed and "restructured" over and over again.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You are right. The Reynolds and Tatum box office situations are equivalent. There is something else going on.

15. the greenman

Trust me, I've been saying this is a pet project of Tatum's since this thread was started. No one is asking for this but him. While it sounds like they have a plot together, no real fans around this. Also most fans associate him with Rogue, soooo. . .