Future of the Flintstones

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by 88fingers, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Steve Carras

Steve Carras SUGAR RUSH!!!!

I still consider THAT a Scooby-Doo clone.:D

2. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

Me three, although I wouldn't mind a few specials or DTV projects here and there.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

If you were talking about the "Pebbles, Dino and Bamm-Bamm" segments of The Flintstone Comedy Show, then I'd agree, but I don't see how The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show is a clone of Scooby-Doo. If anything P&BB is more like an animated version of Gidget mixed with a younger That Girl, what with the 'wacky' teenage girl character who hatches hare-brained schemes, her more logical, long-suffering boyfriend et al.

4. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I do believe that Steve Carras is referring not to the Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm TV series that debuted on CBS in 1971, but rather to the "Pebbles, Dino and Bamm-Bamm" segments from The Flintstones Comedy Show (NBC 1980-1981), which did contain a Scooby Doo-esque mystery solving element. Or he could possibly be mixing up the 2 of them, which would be understandable, giving the similarity of the titles.

5. KJ Styles

KJ Styles The Instant Classic

Maybe so, but those Scooby movies (especially Zombie Island and Ghoul School) were awesome, so I'm sure they could do the same with The Flintstones.

6. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

The problem there is that it's hard to find plots for a Flintstone movie that could fill the length of a feature/DTV film. Even the live action Flintstone movies had a LOT of filler to pad out the running time.

7. Goldstar Neo

Even The Man Called Flintstone had a few noticeable holes in it's plot that needed to be filled, usually with a musical number. I mean, Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm got not 1, but 2 songs to perform in the movie. Sure, the songs were cute, but they were completely irrelevant to the movie's plot.

Which is why I think that all new shorts would be a better move. The Flintstones characters seem to work best in 10 to 20 minute intervals, and I think that a shorts format would be a better use of the characters and plots than another feature that's padded to obesity.

On the subject of Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm, if there were to be a new Flintstones project, what age do you all think that Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm should be in it? On TV, they both jumped from being shows as babies to teenagers, and then as married adults in I Yabba Dabba Do! and finally to parents with kids of their own in Hollyrock-A-Bye Baby. There's a chunk of years that we didn't get to see for P&BB, unless one counts on the syndicated Cave Kids. Perhaps a new Flintstones project could show P&BB as prepubescent children, aged from about 8 to 10 years. The producers could always roll out a kid centric P&BB centered story whenever they wanted a break from the usual Honeymooners style goings on amongst the adults. There could also be a new series focusing on the now married Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm and their twins, but I doubt that the producers would want to go that route.

#27 Goldstar Neo, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  8. Tobias

I'd place them at around 12/13. That's an age we haven't seen them at, and fits them into the age range of CN's other teen heroes/protagonists.

Personally I miss the days of the 1 hour anthology show, and the Flinstones is perfect for that:

- A ten minute Pebbles/Bamm Bamm adventure
    - A half hour Flinstones tale with the adults/the whole cast
    - A seven minute Fred/Barney or Wilma/Betty story, or even a Captain Caveman adventure
    - A four minute Dino tale

9. Goldstar Neo

That sounds do-able to me. I would just hope that the producers wouldn't have P&BB running around Bedrock solving mysteries with Dino again like they did on The Flintstones Comedy Show. One Scooby Doo is enough, I think.

I was thinking more along the lines of a series of animated shorts with each mini episode being a self contained story, myself. In this modern day era of short attention spans, I doubt that any network would want to attempt an hour long variety show format again. That genre is all but dead now.

10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

We've seen Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm grow up, get married, and start a family. Yet, Kraft, Post's parent company, apparently insists on the kids being toddlers again in the commercials. No wonder things get confusing.

My idea, with the Flintstones entering its 50th anniversary year, would be to pick up where the last ABC special left off, with P & BB married. Think back to when CBS revived the Brady Bunch as "The Bradys" 20 years ago. It flopped because:

1. CBS hoped that by airing "The Bradys" in the familiar Friday 8 pm (ET) slot, it would bring the old fans back. Strike 1.

2. They made it more of a multi-generational dramedy, with a new generation of Brady kids. Strike 2.

3. They hoped a familiar fan favorite from cable (ex-MTV doll Martha Quinn) would add to the fan base. Strike 3. "The Bradys" was cancelled after 5 weeks.

However, if WB plays this right, they can go the multi-generational family dramedy route with a Flintstone revival, and leave Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm as adults, this time for good, instead of messing with continuity by going back and forth with them. It also sends a message to the advertisers who have license deals (Kraft & Bayer, the new maker of Flintstone vitamins) that they need to move forward with the franchise.

Sound good?

11. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Hmm, post-toddlerhood, we've seen P&BB as grade-schoolers/pre-teens twice, "A Flintstone Christmas" and "Flintstones' Little Big League". But yes, I agree that if they were revived, the network would want them to be pre-teens, given the current insistence that cartoons have human children/pre-teens as the stars and it'd give them a chance to show the kids as "updated" for 2010s culture, Stone Age-style, vs. their more stodgy-in-comparison parents.

Wonder if their friends from the other spinoffs (Penny, Wiggy, Moonrock, Schleprock) would appear as preteens as well, or if they'd just use them and/or a few new friends (imagine they'd at least want more ethnic diversity, a la Philo Quartz from "Flintstone Kids").

Also wondering how they'd update some of the technology for the 2010s; the bird-needle record player gag probably wouldn't cut it for today's kid viewers (who've never seen a record), though imagine trying to "modern Stone Age"-ize typical current tech (that's more Jetsons-like than Flintstones-like) such as flat-screen TVs, XBoxes, the Internet or DVD players might depend on having imaginative writers... :p

-B.

12. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Peebles and Bam Bam as preteens with the same characters from the Peebles and Bam Bam Show. I'm still upset none of those characters appeared at their wedding.

13. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Well, oddly, they *did* show two characters who looked just like adult versions of Penny and Wiggy there (and through the TV movie), but gave them different names for some unknown reason. Maybe easier to assume it *is* them (and their movie names are their "real" names or something, a la Jughead Jones' real name being Forsythe). But yeah, odd that the wedding guests invited were mostly their *parents'* friends otherwise---though Moonrock would be the only other close friend likely to come (imagining the Bronto Bunch are in a jail somewhere :p ).

Then again, the same special retconned (if such a thing exists for the Flintstones) Fred and Wilma's marriage into being their eloping to Rock Vegas with no family or friends present (similar to Homer and Marge's wedding in the Simpsons), which is what *I* disliked about it...

-B.

14. cristeto1981

cristeto1981 New Member

I agree. Maybe throw in some family guy type of joke there. I think it would work.

15. Goldstar Neo

Originally Posted by Knightmare [​IMG]
    I agree, I think the best way to continue the Flintstones would be as a mature yet family friendly series maybe airing around 10pm. That way it would be safe for kids to watch, but written in an intellgent way that older fans of the original series would still enjoy it.

Knightmare's suggestion could conceivably work, if properly handled, but having The Flintstones imitate the Family Guy style is a terrible idea which wouldn't work at all. Honestly, if resorting to those sort of desperate tactics would be the only way to get The Flintstones back on the air, then it should just stay buried. Some more "mature" content is one thing, but "mature" and "adult" are 2 different animals. A TV-MA or even TV-PG rated Flintstones series just isn't going to happen. The Flintstones stopped being considered an adult program back in the late 1960s, and it would really difficult to try to convince fans that The Flintstones still has some adult edge to it when the series has since had several Saturday morning spinoffs and the characters are now shilling breakfast cereal and childrens' chewable vitamins, and I doubt that the sponsors of those childrens' products would want their trademark characters doing FG style shtick. Anyways, Seth MacFarlane copies his own formula so much that there'd be no reason fron CN studios to attempt it. The last thing TV needs is another FG clone. It would just look like the CN producers were bandwagon jumping on the FG style, which would just seem lazy.

#35 Goldstar Neo, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  16. Tobias

Besides that, FG has enough Flinstones jokes as it is. We don't need a full series devoted to them.

17. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Cartoon Network and Warner Bros. really dropped the ball on celebrating (hell, even acknowledging) the 50th anniversary of The Flintstones. Now, you'll see the Cupcake Pebbles cereal, though the general public doesn't know the significance of introducing a cake-flavored cereal this year, but that's all. The series isn't seen on a real channel (Boomerang is not a real channel, just an auto-run channel with nobody in control [and completely unchanged in 10 years]). For all intended purposes, the show's dead. As much as I'd like a modern version of the modern stone-age family, it'd be a crowded world, which doesn't need an animated family headlined by a fat lout and a hot wife.

There's no planned celebration nor public acknowledgment of the anniversary. There's no anniversary special, no planned new production on Cartoon Network, ABC (the series' original home), nor The CW. If there was, Warner Bros. Animation would have announced it at the Cartoon Network upfronts in April, The CW and ABC upfronts in May, or even a public announcement ala what Fox did for the 20th anniversary year long celebration of the Simpsons, which culminated this past January. The Flintstones isn't even at the top of the Hanna-Barbera food chain these days. It's Scooby-Doo, Tom & Jerry (Hanna and Barbera created them for MGM, but they're largely Hanna-Barbera properties publicly), and Yogi Bear (they have a movie to promote). And other than Pebbles cereal and Flintstones Vitamins ads, the Flintstones are largely out of the public eye.

Shame really. Even though they were a rip-off of The Honeymooners, the series influenced many of today's cartoons, including The Simpsons and Family Guy. Nobody's celebrating it? Shameful.

18. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

I actually forgot that the 50th anniversary of the Flintstones is coming up. That's sad. Warner Brothers celebrated Scooby's 40th anniversary season by providing an origin story, retooling the DTVs with Abracadbra, and starting a new series (Mystery Incorporated). Yeah, Warner did not advertise the fact that this is the 40th anniversary but that's more not to make Scooby appear old to the kids than ignoring the anniversary completely.

I remember the time when The Flintstones was on top of the pecking order of the Big Three of the Flintstones, Yogi Bear, and Scooby-Doo, with Scooby being a distant third. Nowadays Scooby has eclipsed everyone else while the other two hardly gets mentioned. Really sad. :(

19. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Should we be surprised at all with CN at this point? To the suits and programmers there, only Scooby Doo matters, and he was the last iconic character H-B produced in the 60's.

I think over at Fox they might just give a tip of the cap, via some subtle tribute on either Simpsons or Family Guy. Subtle, as long as it doesn't end up offensive (which is likely with FG). That might shame CN/Boomerang/WB to finally get on the stick.

20. glennstar

glennstar New Member

Flintstones

Except for the cool movie that came out with John Goodman and Rick Moranis, to me, the Flintstones ended in 1966. All the rest are crap. Fred will always be Alan Reed and Barney will always be Mel Blanc. It would be like someone other than Dan Castellaneta doing Homer Simpson. Once the voice dies, then the character dies, even with sound alikes. Mel Blanc is Bugs Bunny, Elmer and the others. To me, most of these classic cartoons ended around 1970, except for the odd thing like Woody Woodpecker or Pink Panther. Cartoons were bascially crap until Simpsons and other came around in the late 80s. Now Simpsons and shows like that have come around, animation has come back in a big way and is about the best thing on tv now.