"Freeform" Network Talkback (Formerly ABC Family)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by gmster, Dec 3, 2014.

1. gmster

gmster Active Member

https://variety.com/2014/tv/news/disneys-abc-family-cable-network-mulling-reboot-1201370137/

2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

The plan doesn't seem too different from what I already think of ABC Family besides maybe getting rid of the 25 Days of Christmas and the occasional Disney and Harry Potter film.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, it's like....what ABC Family is already. It's a youth-targeted network pretending to be a family network because they're contractually ordered to.

Speaking of that contract, did something new happen? Did they buy Robertson's part of it? If not, then they can't change the name. They wanted to call it "XYZ" (get it?) in the mid-2000's but then they found out about the Robertson deal.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I would hope that they don't get rid of the 25 Days of Christmas. That's one of the few times during the year where I actively watch the channel since they air some of my favorite Christmas specials and movies. It might be too marketable and successful for them to do that anyway, especially when they made the Countdown to the 25 Days of Christmas a few years ago.

Still, this doesn't sound too drastically different to me from how the channel currently is either. They're still clearly targeting young adults more than a general family audience with their original series and other series they pick up to air reruns. I don't know if they need to reboot their channel to further emphasize that.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I like the 25 Days as well. It pretty much is the only place to catch most of the Rankin Bass specials, etc, outside of home video. I always joke about it being the one time a year that ABCF actually is a family channel.

I wouldn't mind seeing a name change if only to stop seeing my forgetful family members get surprised reactions to whatever content is on the channel when they tune in expecting something wholesome.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope they'll still air marathons of classic Disney animated movies, that's one of the few times I tune in. It would be interesting to see if they can change the name like removing "Family" from the title.

7. Francisque

Francisque Well-Known Member

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I thought that the channel was legally required to keep the word "Family" in it's name forever due to it's agreement with Pat Robertson's people (they were thinking about rebranding the channel as 'ABCF', at one point), but if that's over now, then Disney can call the channel whatever they want to.

Disney might as well reboot it; ABC Family has been a family oriented channel in name only for years, but if they get rid of The 25 Days of Christmas, then there will officially be no reason for me to watch the channel anymore. I neither watch nor care about any of the millenial oriented programming, but I guess that I'm just too old for it.

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

ABC Family might as well become Disney Family. Their 25 Days of Christmas is the highlight of the year for them, but they've been eclipsed by Hallmark Channel in recent years, IMPO.

10. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

How many name changes have they gone through? Seems like it's their umpteenth.

11. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I don't watch this channel much, but if they get rid of the occasional older Disney movie and 25 Days of Christmas than I am done for good.

12. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

The Family Channel to Fox Family to ABC Family. Just 2 cosmetic changes. Not bad, really.

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Maybe ABC Family might be sold off.

14. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

To whom, and why? ABC Family isn't in any danger, as far as I know. Its' only "issue" is that its' name suggests a family channel when it's actually a millenial youth-oriented channel. If they're considering a name change and are planning to drop the few family-oriented shows that the channel still airs, then they must have found some way around the Pat Robertson clause.

15. BartWinkle

BartWinkle Active Member

I remember reading ads in TV Guide when that channel was known as the CBN Cable Channel. Maybe early '80s.

16. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Discuss new programs coming to ABC Family and ABC Spark in this thread. Also discuss current programs as well. Which is your favourite?

17. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

This is a list of current and former television series broadcast by ABC Spark, a specialty channel based on the U.S. cable channel ABC Family.

This list is current as of April 2015.

Current programming

Acquired from ABC Family
    Baby Daddy
    Chasing Life
    The Fosters
    Freak Out
    Melissa & Joey
    Roommates
    State of Georgia
    Switched at Birth
    Young & Hungry
    Other Acquired programming
    America's Funniest Home Videos
    Boy Meets World
    Cash Mob
    Celebrity Damage Control
    Celebrity Legacies
    Cougar Town
    Deal with It
    Extreme Babysitting
    Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
    Ghost Whisperer
    Hope & Faith
    Just for Laughs: Gags
    Less Than Perfect
    Life with Boys
    The Middle
    Mr. Young
    Mysterious Ways
    Pick a Puppy
    Rules of Engagement
    Splatalot
    The Vampire Diaries
    Wipeout
    Former programming

Acquired from ABC Family
    10 Things I Hate About You
    Beverly Hills Nannies
    Bunheads
    Dancing Fools
    Fallen
    Greek
    Huge
    Jane by Design
    Lincoln Heights
    The Lying Game
    Make It or Break It
    Mystery Girls
    The Nine Lives of Chloe King
    The Secret Life of the American Teenager
    Twisted
    The Vineyard
    Other Acquired programming
    8 Simple Rules
    Da Vinci's Inquest
    Family Biz
    How To Be Indie
    Love Trap
    My Wife and Kids
    Mystery Hunters
    Scrubs
    Smallville
    Supernatural
    That's So Weird
    Ugly Betty
    Wipeout Canada

18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

19. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Ay Carumba
    Staff Member Moderator

"Freeform"??? I'd rather have "XYZ."

And there is so much executive talk in that press release it's painful. There's more than one word they made up. "Once focused on millennials, ABC Family in April announced that it would now be targeting a new category viewers, “becomers” as some of its viewers were aging out of the millennial demo. Becomers a life stage rather than a generation, including young people aged 14-34 who are in high school, college and the decade that follows and are navigating the time in life when you experience the most firsts – first car, first apartment, first job, first love, first heartbreak."

Nobody let "becomers" catch on, please.

20. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I know it's been gone for nearly a decade from ABC Family, but the ABC Family name was the last remaining relic from the Jetix era, and it will soon be gone. I remember when Power Rangers, Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!, and W.I.T.C.H. aired on ABC Family.