Fist of the North Star Movie Uncut

Latest News

Does anyone have or had seen the uncut Fist of the North Star Movie on VHS rental

• Yes, I have the rental VHS copy of the movie and all gore scenes don't have blurs or filter, it's un

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I once had it, the Rental VHS copy is uncut.

• No, my VHS had gore scenes censored.

• I don't remember having it.

• Total voters
Dec 15, 2012
MD
Does anyone have or had a uncut version of Streamline Dubbed version of Fist of the North Star Movie on VHS from rental? It has all gore scenes uncensored. Other VHS versions were censored. The Italian VHS version is semi-uncensored. There may be a collector who has a Streamline's 35mm print of the uncut movie. There are many fans still believe that 35mm uncut prints were destroyed in the fire and the Italian VHS version is the closest they got in the internet. Does anyone remember?

Lord Dalek

Uncreative Hack
Aug 17, 2003
Ratings
Dalek Empire
Visit site
Considering you're probably the guy who asked him in the first place...

Justin Sevakis said:
The last rumor, that an early Streamline VHS release in the US was uncensored, is demonstrably false -- I wouldn't put much stock in the memories of people who rented a VHS tape 15 years ago. There's not enough information to determine what version Streamline released to theaters during the film's brief theatrical run in September 1991 (it almost certainly had the new ending, since I doubt Streamline dubbed it twice), but all existing home video releases aside from that Italian VHS have the exact same censorship applied. Streamline Pictures only ever had one video master of Fist of the North Star, and didn't do VHS rental-only releases. According to Fred Patten's amazing Streamline Pictures memoirs that he's been publishing on CartoonResearch.com recently (do check them out, if you're interested in that era), their first release of Fist of the North Star was released in September 1992. Orion later made an ill-fated deal with Streamline to distribute their entire library, which caused everything to get repackaged and re-released, often at a lower price. But that didn't happen until August 1994. Copies of both releases were very common -- it was one of the best selling anime in Streamline's catalog -- and yet no uncensored footage from any of these supposedly-uncut releases has surfaced.

Manny7546

Aug 5, 2015
Lol, you are so wrong. Seems like I'm thee only one in the vast sea of information we call the Internet that can confirm that there was a uncensored VHS version. Ive been watching anime since 1993 and i remember there was a blockbuster in Reseda Ca that had a copy but soon after replaced it with a censored version. I believe that the stores copy was stolen and thus was replaced with a new censored one. I know it was a long time ago but I do remember my older cousin always crying about it and saying how not recording that VHS was the worst decision he has ever made. I hate being the only that can confirm this...am I really that old now... Did everyone from that generation die already...No way. I guess people just don't care or just don't remember anymore.

Sep 30, 2005
Ratings
The Grid
The thing is, Manny, like that quote says, memory is deceptive. You're recalling something that happened involving a Blockbuster from when you were 8 years old which kind of relies on a few things (did the uncensored tape you remember say it was "uncensored" on the box? Or did you rent the film twice and notice things missing the second time?) that can't be backed up by a secondary source.

You might remember seeing an uncensored tape, but unless someone comes forward and goes "I have that tape, look here's some screenshots of the uncensored footage", it's frankly hard to believe. It's not like this is some sort of Legend of McDonaldland Loch scenario where the tape was only available through an online store on an obscure website, this was (I'm pretty sure) a retail release, so it wouldn't be as if not a single tape survived to the present day.

Manny7546

Aug 5, 2015
I totally understand where you are coming from. Yes it was a long time ago and yes I was like 11 years old during that time. But my older cousin is 7 years older than me and to this day he still remembers that VHS tape. I actually spoke with him a couple of days ago and he said he remembers it vividly. he remembers that the every weekend, him and his stoner friends would rent that VHS, and that the slip case mentioned nothing of unedited or uncut. No rainbow blurryness of any kind. He said that it looked exactly the same as the 1994 package design. it boggles my mind! How did this happen! to me, my cousin is the only proof that I need. But your right, for proof to the rest of the world, someone needs to come forward with a copy. I guess Carl Macek took this one to his grave.

Dec 15, 2012
MD

The rental VHS versions from rental stores like Hollywood Video and Blockbuster that have a barcode of 1000311 are uncensored with no color fading or monochrome filter on all gore scenes and retail versions with the barcode of 90263 are censored. Does anybody have a rental VHS copy like this? If so, do you remember scenes being more gory and more uncut without any filter?

Aug 27, 2018
USA
I believe I have a copy of the unedited VHS. Im in the process of selling off my collection and I stumbled on this forum. This is a silly question, but how do I know what would make this the unedited version? I mean, this is ridiculously violent and I remember watching it many time back in the early 90s.

Attachments

wonderfly

Shaking things up a bit
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 22, 2002
Ratings
890 14
Springfield, MO
I believe I have a copy of the unedited VHS. Im in the process of selling off my collection and I stumbled on this forum. This is a silly question, but how do I know what would make this the unedited version? I mean, this is ridiculously violent and I remember watching it many time back in the early 90s.
The design of the VHS case in your photos looks different than the standard type (as seen in the photos in earlier posts above).

If you watch the movie and they blur out the special effects of the exploding skulls/bodies/etc, then you've got the normal "censored" version. If they don't blur out the special effects, you've got the uncensored version.