First Look at Illumination's "Grinch" Film.

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

19MagiswordLane

Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
Mar 19, 2016
Ratings
527 1
I don't know if this thread is useful or not (feel free to lock it if you like), but I just wanted to see everyone's reaction to this: the first piece of animation debuted on NBC as part of the Winter Olympics....

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Ratings
5,172 36 1
Austin, Texas
I have to say the animation reminds me of Horton hears a Who, then the Grinch is consistently portrayed mainly like Gru from Despicable Me. Eh for right now I hope there are some qualities that do go far from those similarities in the movie, because I just can't help but notice those.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
Ratings
675 4
mattdeanart.com
I'm...just not really feeling it. There was nothing wrong with the half hour Chuck Jones special (or the book for that matter.)

The Grinch's cave is supposed be dark and uninviting. Even the Jim Carrey movie made it look like a dusty and undesirable place to live (albeit with all the cool, self-made machinery and contraptions). The vivid, suburban-esque lighting featured in the trailer doesn't reflect that at all. This Grinch doesn't give the impression of being a cunning, scheming mastermind who's going to steal Christmas, he just comes off as kind of a prick. I don't see that character walking into a supermarket and slightly inconveniencing the Whos as they're shopping. It's all just very mild, very bland.

Max was the best part of the trailer for me, even if he looks like a remodeled Secret Life of Pets secondary character.

Last edited:

ZeroKelvin

The Last Samurai
Jun 6, 2015
Ratings
Texas
It's not bad... but not great either. All I'm hoping for is that it doesn't turn out to be like the 2012 version of The Lorax.

The Grinch's cave is supposed be dark and uninviting. Even the Jim Carrey movie made it look a dusty and undesirable place to live (albeit with all the cool, self-made machinery and contraptions). The vivid, suburban-esque lighting featured in the trailer doesn't reflect that at all. This Grinch doesn't give the impression of being a cunning, scheming mastermind who's going to steal Christmas, he just comes off as kind of a prick. I don't see that character walking into a supermarket and slightly inconveniencing the Whos as they're shopping. It's all just very mild, very bland.
The Grinch just walking into the supermarket like that felt wrong. In the Jim Carrey version, he at least disguised himself going into Whoville. Here he's treated like an average citizen.

DeanBurrito25

Jan 15, 2009
Ratings
675 4
mattdeanart.com
The Grinch just walking into the supermarket like that felt wrong. In the Jim Carrey version, he at least disguised himself going into Whoville. Here he's treated like an average citizen.
And now I just realized what didn't sit well with me about that characterization...he's being turned into another Gru.

They're basically remaking the introduction sequence of the first Despicable Me, but with the Grinch. In that movie, Gru isn't ostracized from society and is very much treated like a citizen despite being a villain. That's what it was.

Kitschensyngk

The kids are all wrong
Sep 3, 2006
Ratings
2,507 1
Kansas
nachosconcarne.cartoonsdammit.com
I thought the Grinch just hated Christmas because it was loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized. Even Jim Carrey's version got that part down.

Anyway, this movie already lost me when I read about it on Cartoon Brew and found out they were giving Cindy-Lou Who an overworked-single-mother subplot. Haven't seen THAT angle a million times...

ShadowBeast

May 9, 2013
Ratings
1,903 10
Elizabeth,NJ
I thought the Grinch just hated Christmas because it was loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized. Even Jim Carrey's version got that part down.
The Grinch hated Christmas because of how jolly it was in opposite in how grinchy he was. The loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized thing was only added in the Jim Carrey version.

Anyway, this movie already lost me when I read about it on Cartoon Brew and found out they were giving Cindy-Lou Who an overworked-single-mother subplot. Haven't seen THAT angle a million times...
Yeah, it has, and it feels forced in this case.

TnAdct1

Ravioli, Ravioli
Aug 3, 2002
Ratings
290 1
Chiyo-chan's America
The Grinch hated Christmas because of how jolly it was in opposite in how grinchy he was. The loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized thing was only added in the Jim Carrey version.
Actually, the Grinch has always meant to focus on the commercialization of the holiday. In the book and the original special, he assumed that if he took away the items associated with commercialization (i.e. the gifts, the decorations, and the food), he'd be able to prevent Whoville from celebrating Christmas. However, in the end, he wasn't able to stop the the one thing that he hated the most: everyone in Whoville joining together and singing (which is meant to reflect Christmas being a holiday about the birth of the Christ and a time of being together with loved ones).