First Look at Illumination's "Grinch" Film.

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by 19MagiswordLane, Feb 11, 2018.

1. 19MagiswordLane

19MagiswordLane Toonzone's Crooner of Carnage, babe!

I don't know if this thread is useful or not (feel free to lock it if you like), but I just wanted to see everyone's reaction to this: the first piece of animation debuted on NBC as part of the Winter Olympics....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Something about his bottom lip being pink really bothers me. Maybe it’s because of it’s surrounded by all that green fur and it’s an odd color clash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Sorry but I’m not feeling it. Maybe it would be better when I see a full trailer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Here is the full trailer.

5. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Watching this trailer, I can now see why Warner Bros. is getting the rights to make films based on the works of Dr. Seuss after this film.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

It looks good, but Jim Carrey did a better voice for the Grinch. The Grinch just doesn't sound grinchy enough here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Even better than...Boris Karloff?...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. :D

9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. Not loving it (and the use of "Happy" annoyed me...) but I won't fully judge until the next trailer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I have to say the animation reminds me of Horton hears a Who, then the Grinch is consistently portrayed mainly like Gru from Despicable Me. Eh for right now I hope there are some qualities that do go far from those similarities in the movie, because I just can't help but notice those.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I'm...just not really feeling it. There was nothing wrong with the half hour Chuck Jones special (or the book for that matter.)

The Grinch's cave is supposed be dark and uninviting. Even the Jim Carrey movie made it look like a dusty and undesirable place to live (albeit with all the cool, self-made machinery and contraptions). The vivid, suburban-esque lighting featured in the trailer doesn't reflect that at all. This Grinch doesn't give the impression of being a cunning, scheming mastermind who's going to steal Christmas, he just comes off as kind of a prick. I don't see that character walking into a supermarket and slightly inconveniencing the Whos as they're shopping. It's all just very mild, very bland.

Max was the best part of the trailer for me, even if he looks like a remodeled Secret Life of Pets secondary character.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #11 DeanBurrito25, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  12. ShadowBeast

About equal in my opinion. Jim Carrey was a great successor to the voice of the Grinch.

13. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

And... No thanks - I can't bring myself to care about this, let alone look it in its stupid face. Ya'll take care, now.

14. ZeroKelvin

ZeroKelvin Trouble brewin'

It's not bad... but not great either. All I'm hoping for is that it doesn't turn out to be like the 2012 version of The Lorax.

The Grinch just walking into the supermarket like that felt wrong. In the Jim Carrey version, he at least disguised himself going into Whoville. Here he's treated like an average citizen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

And now I just realized what didn't sit well with me about that characterization...he's being turned into another Gru.

They're basically remaking the introduction sequence of the first Despicable Me, but with the Grinch. In that movie, Gru isn't ostracized from society and is very much treated like a citizen despite being a villain. That's what it was.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Chocolate Fizzles

Chocolate Fizzles The Daffiest Duck

The Grinch looks like a humanoid that is made to be a nightmare-fueler. The movie based on the trailer looks decent.

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I’m not really feeling this either. Based on the synopsis and this trailer, they’re trying to make the Grinch like Despicable Me.
    I’ll just wait to catch this on Netflix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk The kids are all wrong

I thought the Grinch just hated Christmas because it was loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized. Even Jim Carrey's version got that part down.

Anyway, this movie already lost me when I read about it on Cartoon Brew and found out they were giving Cindy-Lou Who an overworked-single-mother subplot. Haven't seen THAT angle a million times...

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ShadowBeast

The Grinch hated Christmas because of how jolly it was in opposite in how grinchy he was. The loud, obnoxious, and over-commercialized thing was only added in the Jim Carrey version.

Yeah, it has, and it feels forced in this case.

20. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Actually, the Grinch has always meant to focus on the commercialization of the holiday. In the book and the original special, he assumed that if he took away the items associated with commercialization (i.e. the gifts, the decorations, and the food), he'd be able to prevent Whoville from celebrating Christmas. However, in the end, he wasn't able to stop the the one thing that he hated the most: everyone in Whoville joining together and singing (which is meant to reflect Christmas being a holiday about the birth of the Christ and a time of being together with loved ones).

• Like Like x 1