Favorite Cover Songs?

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by chalmers, Oct 20, 2011.

1. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

I recently received a copy of the album Punk Goes Classic Rock(there's a whole series of these, put out by Fearless records, where they cover different types of music) and at first I was a bit iffy about it, but after listening to it there are some cool covers on it. VersaEmerge does a great version of The Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black", A Skylit Drive does a good job covering Journey's "Separate Ways(World's Apart)", Pierce the Veil does a good "Don't Fear the Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult, and, me being the pop-punk fan that I am, I loved Hit the Lights' rendition of Boston's "More Than a Feeling".

Does anyone have any favorite cover songs? Perhaps there's a song where you feel the cover is better than the original version? Maybe even a favorite cover band(like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes)?

2. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

Two that come to mind are The Sundays's cover of The Rolling Stones's "Wild Horses" and No Doubt's cover of Talk Talk's "It's My Life". Those are two songs that I think I actually prefer the covers to the originals.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I like Jonathan King's cover "Hooked on a Feeling", but I honestly think that I like the original B.J. Thomas one better. Also I don't think that Hall & Oats "You Lost that Loving Feeling" is all that bad.

4. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

Faith No More's cover of The Commodores' "Easy."
    They could have easily went hardcore thrash with it, but instead it was increadibly faithful to the original--even down to the tempo and vocal arrangements. It's almost as if their saying "You were expecting us to ruin it, didn't you?"

Earth, Wind, & Fire's cover of The Beatles' "Got To Get You Into My Life."
    Even Paul McCartney said he preferred their version to the original he did.

5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

I have a few-

Careless Whisper by Seether- I think the original is good, but the rock added to the cover makes it even better.

Beat It by Fall Out Boy- I like some of MJ's earlier songs, and I like Fall Out Boy, so put them together and :anime:.

Boys of Summer by the Ataris- Pretty much for the same reasons as Careless Whisper.

6. chalmers

chalmers Role Model

Oh yeah, I love that one. Probably along the same lines, but I still love "Smooth Criminal" by Alien Ant Farm. Reminds me of eighth grade.

A couple other covers that I can think of where the artist did an interesting take on the original song are Paramore doing an electronica cover of the Foo Fighters' "My Hero(found on the deluxe version of "Riot!"), and Patti Smith's awesome cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry". And speaking of both the Foo Fighters and Prince, I'm also really fond of the Foo's cover of "Darling Nikki".

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I love Faith Hill's "Piece of My Heart" and find it much more listenable than the one by Janis Joplin.

While their type of music is not my thing and I still prefer the original, I do like Disturbed's cover of Genesis' "Land of Confusion."

Huey Lewis and the News have a terrific a capella cover of Curtis Mayfield's "It's All Right," and have played in concert a great "The Boys Are Back In Town." (Their 1994 album is a solid cover album of '50s and '60s rock and R&B standards.)

8. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

I always liked Counting Crow's "Big Yellow Taxi." Joni Mitchell is an incredible writer, but I don't think her singing is the best there is.

9. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

I like Herman's Hermits cover version of "Wonderful World" better than the original Sam Cooke version, also I like Eric Clapton's cover of "Don't Think Twice/It's Alright" better than Bob Dylan's version even though it is one of my favorite Dylan songs.

As for The Sundays cover of "Wild Horses", I just gave it a listen and I didn't think it conveyed as much emotion as the original, I don't think any cover version of that song unless it was note for note, could be on par with the original.

10. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

Agreed on Seether's "Careless Whisper." Love their cover.

I'll also add Nonpoint's take on "In the Air Tonight" (for the longest time I had no idea this was originally a Phil Collins song), Chris Daughtry's acoustic version of "Poker Face," and 30 Seconds to Mars' version of "Bad Romance" (I like Lady Gaga covers more than Lady Gaga herself).

11. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I see someone mentioned Faith No More's "Easy". It's a fine cover, but I also want to give credit to their cover of the Bee-Gee's "I Started a Joke". I think it shows off Mike Patton's range quite well, particularly his lounge influences. The rest of the band is fine, but his vocals are what sell it to me.

A recent cover I really enjoy is Demi Lovato doing Lil Wayne's "How to Love". I think the original is way too autotuned for my taste, but she pulls it off very well. She's only done it live, so there's no autotune, just her natural vocals, and she sounds so sincere while singing it. My favorite part is when she sings "I deserve the best, I'm beautiful" instead of "you deserve". Considering all that she's gone through in the past year, I think it's an ace twist to the song.

Some other covers I love are Judas Priest's "Green Manalishi" and "Diamonds and Rust" from their Unleashed in the East album and The Replacements doing KISS' "Black Diamond".

12. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Relient K's version of "Baby" by Justin Bieber.

No, I'm joking. They take out Lil Wayne's part, but it's basically a straight cover and they make it better than it has any right to be.

13. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Don't you mean Ludacris?

14. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

UM, WHAT? How in the devil did I miss hearing this? I love that band. Their cover of "Message in a Bottle" by the Police is pretty good.

15. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men
    Staff Member Moderator

I discovered it a couple of weeks ago and was absolutely blown away. It's haunting.

16. Cassie Star

Cassie Star I have no gender.

Oh, derp.

Yes.

17. AJ Skyterra

AJ Skyterra The Crystal Bending Gem of Science

I remember loving the heck out of Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal when it first came out, though later in the world of the Internet I found a crapload of people that despised it. Different strokes I suppose. And to give some American Idol shout outs, I loved Kris Allen's cover of Kanye West's Hearless, almost more than the original. And though I still prefer MJ's Billie Jean original, David Cook really wowed me with his cover.

If hip hop samples counted, I'd be typing this for days.

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I actually liked Alien Ant Farm's "Smooth Criminal" more than Michael Jackson's original. I guess I'm just weird, but I already knew that. :D

19. JasonFox

JasonFox The Maniacal Movie Critic

Dave Matthews Band does a good All Along the Watchtower by Bob Dylan and Down by the River by Neil Young.

20. SSJ Jake

SSJ Jake Pony Sue is Pony

Girlschool's cover of Motörhead's "Bomber" is one of the best covers of an early Metal song. Heck I first heard Girschool's version. I think both versions are equally good.

Venom's "Black Metal" has been covered by Mayhem, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth and Vader. Vader's cover is the only one I like, ironically them being a Death Metal band where as the others are often labeled Black Metal bands. The original is the best of coarse but Vader still made a very solid cover.