Fat Albert Spoof On Animaniacs

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by launchpad20, Jun 13, 2010.

1. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

I've just learned about an episode of 'Animaniacs' that I have yet to see called 'Back In Style' which supposedly features a 'Fat Albert' spoof called 'Rotund Ronald'. Is this true?

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

You're half right: The Fat Albert parody's name is Obese Orson. Some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, that parody was easily the funniest segment of the episode.

3. launchpad20

Thanks. It's a shame I never caught this episode because it looks pretty funny. I like how the backgrounds mimic the style that Filmation used in 'Fat Albert's background art. I wonder if they mimicked their recycled limited animation style?

#3 launchpad20, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
  4. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

There were some REALLY funny bits of thumbing the nose at Filmation here. Don't get me wrong, I've had many good times watching their cartoons as a kid, but I noticed an unparalleled level of low-budget cheapness to their works even back then.

"Back at 'Plegmation", everything had to happen off-screen. Someone would say, "Oh, no! My head's been crushed by a comet!" But you never actually saw the comet."

Orson: Isn't that right, Todd AO?
    Todd AO: Why am I here??
    Yakko: You have a funny name.

Clubhouse Gang Member: We don't have fun here. We just promote pro-social values until they spew out of everybody's ears and onto the ground.

Orson: (after the Warners go crazy and start kissing everyone around them) Get 'em, guys!
    Clubhouse Gang Member: We can't, Ors. We only have 3 bits of animation per scene, and we already used 'em all gettin' here!

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Even the Obese Orson parody of Fat Albert was imitating Filmation's reuse and reuse again stock animation.

6. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

Who animated this parody, Wang?

It looks a lot like them.

7. cavgurl

cavgurl I'm cute!

What episode is this in? It looks like it would be pretty funny.
    :yakko: :wakko: :dot:

8. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

It's from "Back in Style", and it's very funny. The episode would/will be on the Animaniacs season 4 DVD, if we ever get it, that is.

9. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

One thing that struck me as curious about this scene is how Obese Orson was depicted as white and and Orson's gang was depicted as having light purplish skin where of course on Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, the main cast was entirely African-American. It's like the WB was worried that some blacks might be offended if they saw their race being caricatured in this manner. However, if one were to bear in mind that Obese Orson was a parody of Fat Albert, it would make perfect sense for the characters to be black, like the protagonists in the series being parodied. I don't want to be "that guy", but this brings to mind the old question, is it OK to caricature whites, but not blacks?

On the flip side, in the South Park episode "Tree Houses", Stan is seen watching a parody of Fat Albert called "Fat Abbot" which features an expletive spewing version of FA and the gang, but they more closely resembled the Cosby Kids and were likewise shown as being black (even though Trey Parker and Matt Stone made the mistake of having their Dumb Donald lookalike speak with Mushmouth's voice in one scene. Not the 1st time that I've seen fans confuse the 2 characters).

10. launchpad20

So Obese Orson, and the gang have their own walking, and running animation cycles? :p
    I've noticed this in one of the images. Which is odd considering that 'Obese Orson' is a 'flip side' parody of 'Fat Albert'.

Don't forget 'Heavy How' from the 'Fairly Oddparents' movie 'Channel Chasers'. :p

11. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Can I find the Heavy How episode of Fairy Oddparents online?

Also: Regarding Obese Orson, Jim Cummings was O.O.'s voice while Rob Paulsen voiced the Weird Harold spoof "Hooknose Harold" ("Hot chocolate and 3 cows")

12. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Nope, it was Akom.

13. launchpad20

Since Akom gets a good bit of flack for being 'the cheapest animation money can buy' on the forums, They seem like the right choice for mimicking Filmation's cheap production values. :D Although, to be fair, most of the animators did put some effort in their latter productions before Filmation was shut down. Their 'Pinnochio', and 'Snow White' films had some lively moments of full animation, and didn't rely on reusing stock movements as much.

14. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Interestingly, Akom actually had a devil of a time with this episode because they kept making the animation too GOOD. The domestic side kept having them re-do it to make the animation deliberately bad. That's why it took so long to debut.

15. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

This was more geared to animation fans than any episode of...well, anything at the time. Many of these jabs I didn't get for years.
    "But Orson, none of us said anything."
    "I know. I had to get us past that long establishing shot."
    A long time later, I would read that Filmation was famous for very long camera pans of empty areas to stretch out time where no actual animation was needed.

And a variation of the "two cows" joke was on all the shows of the 70's. Minton obviously got sick of it.

This episode debuted on a Tuesday, which is very weird. I always thought it was late because the lawyers had problems with it. That's my own opinionated guess, but why else would it first-run on a Tuesday instead of the weekend where they could promote it properly? I'd love to hear Tom's story behind "Back in Style."

16. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

I noticed.

They do, but Akom has shown that they can do good animation when knocked into submission (The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne's first act, The Simpsons *and its movie*, various parts of G1 season 3 *Not all of it mind you* And The Batman eps The Mechanic and Mad as a Hatter all come to mind).

This reminds me of Speedy Boris' review of K-Acme TV and Acme Cable TV (Wang and TMS, both from TTA) in which TMS had a hard time animating the Rocky & Bullwinkle parody.

Suprised Akom suffered the same problem. I thought that bad animation would be easy for them.

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

I don't know why it debuted on a Tuesday, but I got the info on the animation from Jaime Weinman's blog. (which in turn got info from a comment by Tom Minton on John K.'s blog)

18. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Nope, I checked TV.com, and the episode debutted on a Monday.

19. launchpad20

I noticed the episode on Jaime Weinman's blog, but it was taken down. :crying:

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Well, I would imagine the problem was that Akom kept animating things in the full animation style, when most of the parodies required choppy movement, mostly key frames with no or minimal in-betweening, something they're not used to. Think about it: If for years, the overseas supervisors told the animators to in-between the key frames and/or do full animation, it would be tough for them to break that habit and deliberately animate badly.
    I wouldn't have linked to that blog post if the episodes were still live.