"Fantastic Four" Reboot Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by KCJ506, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

That's only a worry if we operate on the assumption that directors are only capable of making one kind of movie, which is a silly assertion.

2. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Michael Bay says hi. But as for Trank, hes only made one movie so i won't say he can only make one type of movie. I was simply explaining greenmans point since you took it a little out of context.

3. RoryWilliams

Yes an anecdotal example of one, almost universally panned director, certainly has shown me the error of my ways.

Well not for nothing, but some people have been railing against the film from the very beginning on the grounds that Marvel deserves the rights back, so they take any and all opportunities to try and spell doom and gloom for the film before a single frame has even been shot. If the movie turns out to be bad or boring, or a rehash of Chronicle, then sure. That'll suck. But there's a certain point where the criticism just becomes really arbitrary, nitpicky stuff or in some cases flat out falsehoods.

4. Tohya

Wes Anderson, M. Night, Tarantino, Paul W.S Anderson, there are a number of directors who stick to a similar formula. Its not meant as criticism, its just the truth. So you saying that its a silly assertion is in fact, a silly assertion. More than likely Trank will make FF4 similar to Chronicle and if that is a point of contention to some then I think its a legitimate point to make.

5. RoryWilliams

No, it really isn't. Those directors all have signature styles and beats that appear throughout their films, but to claim their resumes are made up of "another version of the same movie" is an exaggeration and a falsehood. Other than you simply arguing for the sake of getting in the last word at this point, I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

Anywhoo, Keith Christensen (Avengers, Days of Future Past, and Amazing Spider-Man 2) will be working on costume illustrations for the movie.

6. Tohya

Trank made a movie about teens with superpowers. Now hes making a movie about a family of young adults with superpowers. Not a leap to say he might make a similar movie. And regardless of how you wanna word it, those examples I gave are all ones of "one trick" directors; directors who make the same kind of movie all the time. Im not saying thats what Trank will do, but its not a silly point to make. As for the point of this, you said we'd have to operate under an "assumption". Well, its not an assumption lol.

7. RoryWilliams

Whatever. He didn't say similar. He said "another version of the movie". There's a world of difference between stylistic and plot similarities and "making the same movie again" but again, whatever.

#447 RoryWilliams, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2014
  8. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Josh Trank has directed, literally, one feature film, and we're already pigeonholing him as a guy who makes the same movie over and over. Seriously? Talk about unfair. There's absolutely no reason to expect that. Let the guy make at least two movies first.

Also, if you've seen Chronicle, you'd realize it's really unlikely that a Fantastic Four movie would be similar. It's its own intimate found footage kind of thing.

9. Tohya

Wait...what? Were talking about directors who tend to make the same kind of movie and whether or not Trank will be one of those, since you know, hes only made one film. How in the world you came to your conclusion I haven't the slightest....I mean its like you read one sentence and thought "well imma stop reading here" and went straight to reply lol.

10. Shawn Hopkins

Yes. He's only made one film. It's incredibly unfair to suspect that he will be one of those and use that as a reason that the movie might be bad. It shouldn't have even come up. Making it part of the discussion is unfair, just as assuming Jordan's blackness will disrupt the chemistry of the film is unfair.

11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I didn't see Chronicle. However, Trank needs to do some R-E-S-E-A-R-C-H. Seems to me he hasn't had his hands on an FF comic, Ultimate Universe or otherwise, since maybe he was a toddler.

The common excuse to justify Michael B. Jordan as Johnny is to suggest that Johnny was adopted. Who's writing this drivel? And the rumors of a female Dr. Doom? Um, no.

As I mentioned before, they cast these movies based on the casual, Joe & Jane Average movie-goer who's seen films like, for example, "Fruitvale Station" or "Chronicle", so they'll recognize some names from those movies. The comics fan of any generation is shut out because, like television, they are aiming at specific demographic groups that some fans don't fit into.

Some cases of race-swapping work (i.e. Nick Fury), others don't (Kingpin, Catwoman). This won't. Stan Lee would have to sign off on it if they decide to reboot FF again in the comics, and they've been assigned new #1 issues how many times in the last 20 years?

12. Shawn Hopkins

Yes, that's exactly what they're doing. Aiming a big movie like this only at comics fans would be insane.

Stan Lee has no current official relationship with Marvel comics. He doesn't have to sign off on crap.

Do you read comics? I think a comics fan would know the Stan Lee thing.

13. Tohya

Hey dems the ropes my friend. I think its unfair how you guys keep taking the greenmans words out of context and/or rewording them. Clearly the guy didn't do a great job of stating what he meant, but Im sure it wasn't meant as "Jordan's blackness will be bad for the movie".

14. Shawn Hopkins

And why is "black guy was adopted" drivel that's harder to suspend disbelief on than "man can light himself on fire and fly?"

15. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Quoting myself since some of ya'll think I'm bashing on Jordan for being Black. Not that it matters but I'm African American, and never once said anything on these boards against him being black, I was never 100% rooting for him, but never said "He's Black!? This is gonna suck!"

Anyways, enough of that. My point is that we don't even know if Jordan and Mara are going to be siblings in this film. If so that goes back to my suspicion of this feeling Chronicle-esque. Trust me he's only made one other film and if Neil Blomkamp can repeat District 9 with Elysium, then so can Trank. Just saying.

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yep. Agreed. And you are Member of the Year for a reason. ;)

17. Tohya

I don't see anyone not accepting that scenario. All I saw was a guy having to defend his comments because some people were to busy saying "I can't believe your saying Jordans blackness is a disservice to the film". Anyways we don't know that to be the case. And if it isn't and Trank decides not to go with the family dynamic then I can see why a lot of FF fans would be unhappy/scared.

18. RoryWilliams

19. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

I'm generally not a fan of changing the race of established comic book characters. Movies such as 21, The Last Airbender, Dragonball Evolution, and even cheap and crappy ones such as King of Fighters, all whitewashed Asian characters, and that bothered me a lot. I'm not going to sit here and say that was terrible, but making Johnny Storm a different race is okay.

20. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

Well, an "evil foreigner" being nothing more than an actor paid to play up a stereotype makes a lot more sense than him actually being a really evil villain on the sole basis that he is a foreigner, but that didn't stop some comic book fans from complaining that Iron Man 3's Mandarin was a betrayal of the source material. And once you've talked with fans who won't be pleased until, say, Hugh Jackman wears a mask as every bit as "comic book accurate" and dorky as one worn by the average Wolverine cosplayer, you have to come to grips with the fact that you're not going to be able to please everyone, especially if "everyone" includes people who spend their time chewing each other out on the internet for silly things like their favorite Avengers team or preference of comic book publisher.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.