"Fantastic Four (2015)" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 7, 2015.

?

"Fantastic Four" - Discuss and Rate this Movie!

1. *****

5.6%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

5.6%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

22.2%
  8. *1/2

5.6%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

61.1%
  1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

If you call chaining yourself to a rusty boat anchor of a franchise on its third tax write-off "winning" then yes.

The rest of us would consider this passing up some free cash for a zonk behind curtain no. 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I just want the FF back in Marvel's hands, especially in animation.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So unless Fox gives up and gives the movie back to Marvel (which they likely will if the movie bombs at the box office), we can expect a reboot of the Fantastic Four every seven years.
    That's awful, but is Fox willing to do it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Troy Troodon

Awful?

5. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Of course they would. Until the horde of the Internet comes after them, concurrently they get hacked, investors will drop out, and the whole situation that occurred with Sony a year ago will happen again.

There's no happy ending for FOX after this recent screw-up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The only silver lining I can see, at this point, is if Disney/Marvel might be willing to trade the X-Men live-action TV rights for the rights to the FF or most of their characters (Silver Surfer, Galactus, their other villains). After the failure of this movie, I don't see Fox having much reason or motivation to keep the rights around other than to just be petty towards Disney/Marvel :rolleyes:.

The biggest negative of this movie to the FF as a whole? It's basically made their property toxic to live-action audiences, much moreso than Amazing 2 did for Spider-Man and closer to Ghost Rider. Even if Marvel does get the rights back, I think it would be a while before we ever saw the FF or Doom in live-action again :(.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Troy Troodon

And thus a longer while until we see them in animation again.

8. ms78

ms78 Member

I think if Marvel got the rights back they would use them in other movies for a while and then spin them off into their own movies. Maybe have the Human Torch debut in a Spider-Man and the others in some of the future movies.

9. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Actually it's they have to at least have a movie in ACTUAL production at least seven years that will actually see release in some form. Thus why Marvel was incredibly close to actually getting back the rights as the 2007 Rise of the Silver Surfer came out 8 years ago so yeah just missed the date by a hair.

This movie will be lucky to open north of 25 million dollars this weekend. Unless this somehow has fantastic over seas number, this is looking to be a major loss for Fox who at the very least needed 260 or so million worldwide to at least break even. I don't see them doing even that so I do expect them to take a major profit loss from this movie. Enough to fork over the rights to Marvel? Well FOX is a lot more anal and agressive about not doing that then Sony ever was, but at this point they may not have a choice.

Yeah there was suppose to be another FF movie, the sequel of this, to come out in two years but... unless Fox is so desperate just to keep the rights I can't see them doing that with not only how badly this preformed but all the problems they had with Trank on this movie. Even if he's no longer apart of the franchise that sort of bad blood and distaste against one another may not every fully wash away.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. TheLemsterPju

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Currently at $26, 200,000 domestic, with a worldwide total of $60,300,000

12. Troy Troodon

So which movie is worse, Fant4stic or Man of Steel? Oh that's simple--

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!

But seriously though, in terms of filming quality, effects, acting direction, and story they both suck! Just in different Ways!

Though in the case of Fan4stic in particular they made the Tim Sales Fantastic 4 movies look good, because even though those movies were bad they at least still retained this comic book superhero charm and likability that the comics have been associated with.

But this... this is the first time I legitimately felt betrayed! The characters here are completely one note, the villain is a joke, people around them are just being jerks to our heroes for the sake of being jokes, some of the logic doesn't even make any sense, and the story is just too decompressed.

It is just as joyless and unheroic as Mos, but they really take the antithesis to what superheroes are to a P.

13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Both those films did better than this piece of garbage. FOX would be better off continuing the previous carnation at this rate.

#33 ShadowBeast, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  14. Neo Ultra Mike

As I pointed out Fox is incredibly stubborn now that they've lost so many of the rights especially with how much money other Marvel movies are making. Though honestly the only reason at this point they are holding onto them is likely because they still want to have their own "cinematic universe" and want to put them with the X-Men at some point down the line. Because after how much poison this one was, they aren't going to try re-launching the characters on their own for awhile. And technically as long as the movie title features the fantastic four and they are heavily involved in it, that would count as a film so they wouldn't have to fork the rights over to Marvel. I guess Fox could be idiotic enough to try the whole "let's wait till the last minute to relaunch these characters again" strategy but the FF don't have as strong a legacy as say Batman to bounce back from that sort of thing. Plus technically Batman Begins wasn't under the obligations this movie was to be made or else WB would loose the rights to Batman or something. That was made for more then just money/people want to see more Batman. Hard to say the same about this honestly, especially with how poorly it even did that job. And yeah I know Trank wanted to make it but... obviously at this point putting him in charge was just a baddddddddddddd decision of all kinds.

To be fair that's the estmiated numbers. It could be even lower when the official numbers come out as I don't see this being a "Jurassic World" scenario where more people saw it on Sunday then originally reported.

Fan4stic by far. Say what you want about Man of Steel, at the very least it actually had incredible action sequences, an actual motivation and character arc for General Zod, and some actually impressive visuals. Fan4stic had none of that. I guess it was the shorter sit and didn't have the stupid time random skip flashbacks but... that doesn't mean it was better at all.

15. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Good points. And Fox could take a page from WB and announce a sequel titled X-Men vs. The Fantastic Four.

16. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

WB can't lose the rights to Batman. They own DC, unless it's something like what happened with Superman where there was a court order to have something by the creators estate. Now Bob Kane has restrictions too, but not as hardcore. I won't say it'll never happen, but it doesn't look like it.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

17. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

18. Neo Ultra Mike

Yeah but that's my point: Batman was rebooted as a franchise not just as an excuse for WB to reown the writes but because they actually had a direction they wanted to go with the movie and took the time to do so after the previous failure. Which wasn't the case for Fantastic Four. And thinking about it, not only were the state of comic books different in the 90's and 2000s compared to now, but at least Batman and Robin was part of a "franchise" that had solid successes in some form or another before that film collapsed it. Fantastic Four 2005 was "not very well liked but made decent money" at best with it's sequel being worse in both fields so none of these FF movies really warranted the franchise getting so many chances under the same executive branch. Even Sony realized they had screwed up so much, and Amazing Spider-Man 2 wasn't nearly much of a commercial or critical failure like this movie is, so why they still want to continue with FF is pretty insulting and ignorant on their end.

Especially if FOX wants this to cross over with any upcoming X-Men films which... yeah how would that even work? Nothing about this movie has any hints or ideas whatsoever of the mutants or any other super powered group. Really you think FOX would of tried at least putting that in to try and connect the two world if they're so desperate on wanting their own cinematic universe but yeah none of that. Which just adds more stupid and confusion to this pile then it already had.... which is saying something.

19. TheLemsterPju

"Sorry, but it sounds like FOX are forging ahead with that Fantastic Four sequel"

Before anyone attempts to nuke the studio from orbit, Hitfix simply said:

Pure speculation gathered from vague info from the past week. Wait a couple weeks, and despite what I said earlier, I don't think FOX is going to give up on the property while the movie is still in theaters.

20. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

My question is why would Fox deliberately destroy it? It seems intentional to Marvel.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk