Fangface: Wolf Mysteries

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by MusicMan93, Apr 5, 2016.

1. MusicMan93

MusicMan93 Member

This is an re-imagined version of the 1978 Ruby/Spears cartoon I have thought up since 2014 and have revised it's story constantly since and still going, I will share it with you all now, but I should warn you that I'm not the best writer in the world but I'm practicing and trying to get better. Feel free to give critiques and questions, they are most certainly welcome. Hope you enjoy.

Set in the town of Johnsville, a strange mysterious curse has plagued the town with rage filled monsters which do nothing but destroy anything that gets in it's way. When the first sign of winter comes, the monsters instantly vanish into a dark and powerful portal that seals them away until next fall where they will rampage once again. This seems normal for 16 year old Kim Stevens, a charming looking, dusky skinned young woman who wears circular glasses and loves to read books that have to do with the unknown with a strong sense of adventure and curiosity. It helps that her friends like her for it: Jeff Curtis the school's swimming captain who maybe muscular and handsome, is a nice, smart young man who can be a bit of a goofy klutz who has a small crush on Kim, Adam Varnes is the husky black haired guy who is the tough but loyal friend who may sometimes be a coward but when it comes to getting things done he'll help out, Alice Varnes is Adam's twin sister who has some of her brother's physical qualities is slightly rude with a biting wit and sarcasm to her, and Sharon Stewart is the charming, retro loving, beautiful, strawberry blonde girl who may look like a shallow person but she has special qualities that sets her apart from girls like her. One day during school, Kim tells her friends of an encounter with a creature during her night watch in the library where she works during spring, the creature swooped down and briefly spoke with her before it left. The group allows her to investigate it herself, much to Kim's pleasure, but when she leaves them; they secretly they look at each other that something's up. The next night they find her in the local forest close to Johnsville and make up several excuses as to why they are all here on the same night much to Kim's slight annoyance; but on that very same time the creature finally reveals himself as a Wolfen named Fangface who comes from a world connected to Earth called: The Kingdom of the Wolfens (A Wolfen is a anthropomorphic wolf with wings that gives it the ability to fly and while some practice magic, others don't). After the school year ends, they come back to the forest where Fangface meets them again and decides to trust these five teenagers by showing them his home much to his fairy sidekick's, named Wystiria, distrust. When they arrive they are astounded by the beauty of the kingdom and meets their King and Queen named Claudius and Elanora who are Fangface's father and mother (Fangface would be their youngest child and son being the younger brother of Kurtian, the oldest child and son and Lillian the second oldest and only daughter to the royal family but they are currently on a mission so they couldn't meet the five humans). Their introduction doesn't last long as the kingdom's most hated enemy the Durlans (demonic dog creatures), invade their peaceful kingdom led by King Dracus. Claudius orders Wysteria to take them to the castle for shelter and protection, then Claudius, Elanora and Fangface head onward to the battlefield. Inside the castle some of Dracus' soldiers break in the castle which cause Kim and her friends to plan a trap to capture them; after such clever moves without the monsters knowing where they are, the soldiers are trapped thanks to Kim's thinking. Kim, Jeff, Alice, Adam and Sharon decide to go help Fangface despite Wystiria's objections but she then decides to trust their judgement. After a lengthy fight between King Claudius and King Dracus, the latter reveals his true plan that he summoned the portal in Johnsville in order to take revenge on humans after what they did to his family centuries ago all the while he split a powerful magic jewel in several pieces (the Jewel of Aldiar is what Fangface was searching for in order to protect and save Johnsville). Kim and the gang arrive to help Fangface which causes Dracus to be in slight surprise but he thinks it won't change anything while viewing them as "vile pieces of filth", with this, he and his army vanishes. When Fangface and the gang return to Johnsville after a celebration dinner that the King and Queen gave in their honor; they think about what to do with this new information they've been given. They decide to help Fangface for the summer and the next morning Jeff takes them to his home where in the garage, they see a fancy RV which they think needs a name. Before that happens, Jeff makes a klutzy move when he was trying to get a box down which reveals an old book called: The Dythian Archives, which is written in a strange language that Kim doesn't understand. A CD is in this book and they head inside the RV to play it, before that they decide a name for their group: Wolf Mysteries; and the RV is named The Wolf Deluxe. They play the CD in the RV player where the voice of a woman is heard. This mysterious woman knows about Dracus and reveals that the book can help them if they find the mystic letters that are hidden as a "cursed mark" (soon they discover that a cursed mark was inflicted on the people that desired King Dracus' power for their own different reasons). The CD stops and Jeff declares the whole thing a "big mission". Kim and Fangface have a touching friendship moment where she finally feels that she can help the world in her own way and Fangface is happy that he found Kim and her friends in the first place. With this the trip across the country begins and the story is set in motion. After having a big summer adventure from solving mysteries and finding the cursed humans and getting the marks, they all have a final confrontation with King Dracus. After an insane and intense fight the book reveals an incantation that can seal away evil, Kim casts it and evil demonic hands comes out of the book and drags Dracus inside the pages forever, causing his curse to be broken and all the monsters are gone for good. Johnsville is at peace and the townspeople celebrate Wolf Mysteries' success and welcomes Fangface as one of them which makes him overjoyed, it seems that it is finally over...or is it?

After when they stop the last cursed human, making the book complete and translated, a well known woman appears named Joan Gardner who is a business woman and is interested in all things magic and supernatural comes to Jeff Curtis' home and meets Wolf Mysteries. She is very interested in the book that they have during dinner and to Fangface she seemed suspicious. After a big mystery at their school they head back to Jeff's place because Kim left the book there by accident, when they head to the library, Joan Garder (who has the book) reveals that she was the one who sent the book to them in the first place even though she intended it to only be Fangface and not Kim, Jeff, Adam, Alice and Sharon; plus she was the woman who guided them throughout the show. She also reveals that she and Fangface once had a past that she and her lover were trying to find four magic books so they can unleash two demi-gods that were sealed inside named Arcius and Dythian who can change planets when combined into a single, all powerful god. However in the 1940's Fangface killed the man in attempt to save the world but Joan escaped with the three books but the third was unfinished so she sent the incomplete book away decades later in hopes Fangface would find it. As she is about to leave she makes her witch powers known to them and reveals that she only wants the demi-gods to destroy the world so that she can end her curse that kept her alive for centuries. She vanishes and the gang vows to find the last and finished fourth book before Joan does, her voice is heard on the radio that she intends to make it a game for the summer so the hunt would be more interesting. During the entire second season it was a race to find the last book that belonged to Arcius but Joan finds and traps Wolf Mysteries (sans Fangface) so that she and Fangface could use their dark and light powers (Joan is dark, Fangface is light) in order to release the two beings from their prison. The two demi-god brothers are reunited and they decide to "create a rebirth of the planet Earth and the universe"; Joan was cheated out on a promise that Dythian made which was to end her immortality, they think she will be the only human left on Earth when it is redone and she'll get to suffer. In her rage she tries to stop them but they are too powerful and as they combine the planet starts to feel imbalanced and the feared day begins. Fangface berates her for what she has done and tries to kill her but with her dark dagger she stabs Fangface and instantly falls into a poisoned sleep, much to everyone's shock and horror, the only thing that they missed was that his dragon staff begins to glow. As they take him back to the Wolfen Kingdom to put him in a safe sanctuary, Kim feels ashamed that there was nothing she could've done to save him and she almost got her friends killed, but the others remind her that to stop Dythian and Arcius was what Fangface would've wanted them to do and that gives her some hope. After a lengthy battle between Wolf Mysteries and the Goddess Lataria (the demi-gods mother) against the combined form of Dythian and Arcius; Kim finds her true inner strength and feels the same power that Fangface had (because of the dragon staff glowing), finds the four books together and she proceeds to slam the staff on it which causes the dark magic to go haywire. Arcius and Dythian are split up and they are being dragged into the book, but this time Dythian grabs Joan by the legs and declares that they won't go back in limbo alone. She screams as she is sealed inside with them, the books combine into one and furiously turns the pages and slams itself shut. Kim then tells them that she will destroy the book by using the staff and just like that; the book, caused by Wolfen magic, is destroyed for good. After the planet more or less returned to normal, Kim, Jeff, Adam, Alice and Sharon agree to split for the summer to have some time to be alone, to contemplate what has just happened. One day, during the last 3 weeks of summer, the gang reunite and heads back to the Wolfen Kingdom (with Kurtian) remembering Fangface and what he wanted to accomplish, his dream has come true, he saved the world. Suddenly as the gang gives a nice hug in remembrance of their fallen friend, the staff's magic wigs out and it breaks leaving the green crystal that was in it and it heals Fangface, waking him up from his cursed slumber. They are overjoyed that their friend returned and he is happy to see them too, he explains that a Wolfen can use a huge part of their healing power and transfer it to an item they have bonded with the most (in the case of Fangface it was his dragon staff) and if the physical form is badly injured, the magic essence can be released from the crystal and heal the injured parts of the body. But it came with a price, while he remembers who he is and the friendship he made, the healing process can make a Wolfen act silly for a bit though thankfully it doesn't last long. Kim and the others are still glad to have him back, silly or not; they enjoy the rest of the summer thinking that the journey has finally come to an end for they will be seniors in high school and can make their dreams become a reality. The final part of this story shows the gang in their future lives: Kim becomes a peace ambassador to the United Nations, Jeff is an Olympic swimmer and is married with a son Rodger Curtis, Adam and Alice founded a family owned dessert bar in New York City and are successful with Adam married to someone else with a son and a younger daughter named Jack and Lucy, Sharon expands her family store nationwide as a retro boutique for men and women of all sizes, and finally, Fangface lives the rest of his extended life as a guardian of Earth and protects people from harm. Fangface flies through the forest where he met his friends and he says only this: "No matter where we are, no matter what are lives will take us, I know that Wolf Mysteries will live on again when others want to help in their own way. Once that happens...It's danger time!". With that, the story comes to an end.

2. MusicMan93

MusicMan93 Member

On a side note: I saw Fangface in 2008-11 when it was once on Boomerang often, I thought it was a very silly and outdated cartoon but it was somewhat entertaining in a way. In 2013 or so, memories of that show kept rushing back to me and I remembered that the idea of a monster/creature was a pretty good one despite the awful execution so I started to write down (mostly script form) different versions of how I can make this "better". There was eight different re-imagined versions of this I wrote but was very disappointed with all of them until the one you see here is what I liked the most.

I still view this as something of re-imagined fan-fiction for fun in the end of the day, just something to practice my writing skills. :)

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I get what you're trying to do, but..............meh.

Fangface, Joe Ruby & Ken Spears' 1st self-produced series, was another variant on their wildly successful Scooby-Doo formula they'd developed for Hanna-Barbera nearly a decade earlier.

I have an idea for a fan-fiction of my own based on the show, and it'll be up within a week or two.

4. MusicMan93

MusicMan93 Member

Can't wait to read it.