Epic Mickey (Wii) Pre-Release Discussion

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Desensitized, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Yeah, that would've been a better pick than The Whalers. I'd also like to point out that the cartoon shorts on the DVD have a low screen resolution, Thru the Mirror has a new title card and Clock Cleaners is the same edited version that can be seen in the first Mickey Mouse in Living Color Walt Disney Treasures set.

Anyway, the game is great so far. Though I wonder why the 2 buttion is the pause button rather than the + button.

2. DCU Bat

DCU Bat Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKW1Fu5yhU

Why watch it on the DVD when you can watch it in the game? ;)

3. spongebob03

spongebob03 Member

I was looking forward to this game until I read the reviews. Here's something I don't understand. I've never heard of Warren Spector until the hype for Epic Mickey started to rev up this year. Every interview, or piece written on him, was full of stuff rhapsodizing about him and his past work. And to hear him talk, you would think he would have a full grasp on what makes a game successful. Most of his past games are considered some of the best of all time. I've never played any of them, but that seems to be the general consensus. So what I want to know is, why is it that Epic Mickey has messed up camera, controls and fighting mechanics? When your making a platform game, those are things you don't screw up! It was kind of heartbreaking to read. I thought the game was in excellent hands. Was he spending to much time making sure EVERYTHING in the game was Disney related (he told somebody on his team to find a Disney barrel, after he presented him a drawing of a cool barrell he had drawn), that he forgot about some of the rudimentary things that makes a platform successful? The one thing that makes me want to check this game out is that John Lasseter help with the story. And the one thing that people seem to agree on, is that it's a very good story worthy of a Pixar film. But I can't get past what's wrong with it. I can forgive tedious combat, some boring levels and backtracking. But I can't forgive when it comes to bad controls, camera and fighting mechanics.

4. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Yeah I might as well say, most of the bad reviews are complete bashing(gamespot's review was terrible beyond all reason)

IGN is probably the only right review, and I'm not just saying that because they gave it 8.0. They showed all around of what the game was, meanwhile gamespot's review was basically "EPIC MICKEY IS BAD BECAUSEEEEE...ETC...EPIC MICKEY WAS BAD BECAUSEEEEEEE ETC" Honestly they gave the game to the wrong guy, sounded like he doesn't like these types of games to begin with.

The camera from what I heard isn't THAT bad, if you played Mario 64 and didn't mind the camera in that then you shouldn't have much issues. So this game is not a disappointment, sadly there are trolls online on review sites now for some reason that are giving the game awful ratings. I'm still getting this for sure, all the people who actually own this game now keep telling me how amazing it is so I'll take their word.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Speaking of Gamespot there's also a video with about a half hour of gameplay amid ongoing conversation with Warren Spector himself. So if you want a direct impression as opposed to a written one, go for it. I'll probably see it eventually.

6. J.E.Smith

J.E.Smith Active Member

That's because The Mad Doctor (As well as an Oswald short) can be watched in the game itself as an unlockable extra for getting 20 of the Film Reels.

7. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Oh wow, really? Awesome.

And I see the Oswald short is Oh, What a Knight. Definitely one of the best of his series (or, at least, what's left of it).

8. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Yeah, unfortunately, Universal didn't do a very good job storing those old Oswald shorts. (Here's hoping that someday a complete copy of Sagebrush Sadie shows up so that we can finally figure out what the wagon and mountain scenes were for!)

Anyway, I've only been able to find the Collector's Ediiton, and I haven't watched the DVD yet, but the figurine and the decals are cool.

I've also played a little bit of the game. Really great, and while at times the camera angle could've been a little better, that's something that can be swept under the rug. I really enjoyed how the game creators kept Oswald as he appeared in the cartoons instead of trying to redesign him what he might've looked like in 2010 had Disney not lost the rights to him and had kept Oswald as one of the main stars of the company.

9. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

From what I've heard of the soundtrack so far, it's certainly a pleasure.

The Tomorrow City exploration themes sound very epic and certainly creepy (for a game starring Mickey, no less), even a grim remix of 'It's A Small World'!

(Don't worry, there's an upbeat version during the credits.)

10. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I heard this game has three different endings. I just have seen the "good ending" with the happy stuff. Anyone have seen the other ones?. If you do, can you please tell me what happen in them?.

11. DCU Bat

DCU Bat Member

12. Kazuya Prower

There's only two endings. I checked how many cutscenes I haven't seen yet and there's only one left.

13. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Evil Mickey was removed from the game due to the testers believing it to be "not Mickey". I remember the whole discussion about it a few months ago, so yes originally there was a "evil" ending. But now it's just the other Mickey and good..

14. Kazuya Prower

Does anybody know how to get the other ending? I played through the game twice. The first time, I got the good ending intentionally, but the second time I played through, I got the good ending again despite using thinner most of the run.

15. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

From what I heard it's also linked to your more selfish decisions in quests.

16. Luna

Luna Daydreamer

Epic Mickey,so far,so good...

I started playing yesterday....

Aside from some minor issues with the camera (occasionally,I couldn't tell where Mickey was onscreen),and having to get used to the Wii controls again (most of the Wii games I've played lately have been with the "classic" controller) I'm really loving it....the opening with Yen Sid is amazing,and I also like the art style they use for the cut scenes....

17. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Should this even still be a "Pre-Release" thread? People have the game (some have already completed it) and I've even seen copies of the game at my local Wal-Mart.

I think someone should start a proper talkback for the game.