Dragon Ball Super's 1st Movie - Announced

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by River26, Mar 13, 2018.

1. River26

River26 Well-Known Member

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Considering how Resurection F and the Destroyer movies went, I feel more motivated for this one as Super is about to finish and I think for now a movie would sound good just as long as they don't make another season just to retale the movie's events, which looks unlikely for now.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Anime series isn't over.

4. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Well the anime series is ending for now. Pretty clear that they're taking a break from the anime so the team can go and work on the movie and then after that can go back to the series because Super is currently too popular to just end for the sake of low ratings so pretty clear they're just ending it so time can be put on the movie. And yeah I doubt when Super comes back we'll get an anime adaptation of this arc considering how sour the last two arcs are and how much even in terms of ratings the show went up when it started covering more original material.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This actually makes sense; Super seems like it was going to have a possibly non-conclusive ending, so the film can wrap that up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Drinking my sorrows

Oh boy we get to watch Goku with his big number fight another person with a bigger number

#6 PapaGreg, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  7. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

Considering the last two movies gave Goku new Saiyan forms, both God and Blue....wait till this one gives him Super Saiyan Rainbow or something.

So damn tired of Goku's color-swap power ups.

8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Teaser trailer is out.

Looks like the villain may be a Saiyan. Also, apparently aiming for a global theatrical release.

9. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Would be awesome if it was Broli. The villain's aura did have that weird glow.

10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Shockingly, the film's title has been released, and...it's Dragon Ball Super: Broly. Yes, this is not a drill. Broly is back, and now canon. @ShadowBeast you get your wish.

Also, wow. We may get to see Broly and Frieza interact.

EDIT: Poster.
    upload_2018-7-9_17-51-3.png

11. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Broli was just too much of an awesome character to not make canon. Others I would hope to see to be made canon are Cooler and Bojak's Gang(I only say this simply because of Zangya).
    I wonder how powerful Broli will become? Will he ascend into Super Saiyan God? Are Pilaf and his gang responsible for the resurrection of another one of Goku's enemies? Of course we'll have to wait and see.

That would be awesome. Frieza meeting the Saiyan of legend.

12. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I'm divided on this news.

My first thought: Ugh. Broly AGAIN?! He's such a boring, one-dimensional villain.
    My second thought: You know... Toriyama will be writing this character for the first time. Maybe the show's creator can improve him?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Broly's been overexposed for a good amount of DB related movies, I feel like another movie with him isn't anything special but depending the route the movie goes it could be a step up from other Broly movies.

14. DBTrilogy100

DBTrilogy100 Active Member

So Broly has joined Bardock as a "Canon Immigrant", I think it's pretty cool to see Akira Toriyama show a willingness to incorporate characters he didn't create into the "Canon Story"/"Main Continuity". Personally, I'm hoping Gogeta will eventually join Bardock & Broly on the franchise's list of Canon Immigrants and I wouldn't mind if Cooler joined that list too. While it is true that Broly has had 3 movies before, I think it's fair to point out that Bardock was portrayed differently by Akira Toriyama compared to his portrayal in the TV Special (Bardock as he appears in DB- was shown to be somewhat nicer than how he appears in the TV Special by actually caring about his family), so Broly's portrayal here is not going to be the exact same experience as before.

On the topic of the Legendary Super Saiyan, Broly is probably the best example of a "base breaker" I've seen: some really love him and some really hate him. I can understand why Broly isn't everyone's favorite character and I also understand why many like him while also agreeing that some have a point about him getting an excessive amount of hate lately because of his more extreme fans. I never agreed with the idea of hating something just because some fans can be a bit extreme about it.

Personally, I like Broly for what he is and think he served his role as a "villain who is more of a force of nature than an actual character" well. While Broly's motives is a sore point for some, I never saw Broly's reason for hating Goku as simply because "Goku cried a lot"; I saw it more as Broly came to associate Goku's crying with the near death trauma he endured around that time. Yes, it's irrational but Broly isn't sound of mind and it makes sense in its own irrational way (as paradoxical as that sounds), much like how one might associate hearing a bell ringing with pain if one always heard a bell ring when they had pain inflicted upon them.

Overall, I can understand why Broly isn't everyone's favorite character and recognize he isn't the most complex character in the franchise but I also recognize that many characters in the franchise aren't really complex (Zamasu is probably the most complex villain of the franchise, although one could make an argument for Baby from DBGT also being an example of a villain from the franchise who is more than "just evil for the sake of being evil") and I feel Broly isn't as shallow of a character as some claim he is.

Having said all of that, I am interested in seeing Akira Toriyama's interpretation of Broly and what that interpretation will be like compared to the character's "non-canon counterpart". I guess we'll just have to be patient and see how things unfold once the movie is eventually released to the public.

#14 DBTrilogy100, Jul 11, 2018 at 3:54 AM
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM
  15. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice, that's a very fast turnaround.