Ratings
4,967 41
Massachusetts
cartoon-info-blog.blogspot.com

AnimaniacNutso

Sep 4, 2017
Ratings
443 1
Honestly, I am not surprised because I heard the Double Dare Special did fairly well in 2016. I only watched Double Dare ocassionally, but I liked what I saw and it's nice to see that there's a new version

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
316 15
Newington, CT, USA
It was also reported by Deadline...who had the nerve to mention Jersey Shore and TRL (which isn't even TRL at all) as examples of other previous shows Viacom "brought back" (if one can call it that, at least on TRL's case).

In any case, long story short, I hope it's actually Double Dare, and not an in name only version.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
316 15
Newington, CT, USA
You realized that that article is biased (and uninformed), right? "Not grainy like your 90s TV"? That's just plain ignorant, regardless if anyone "was there" when the show first aired or not. Also Double Dare is from the 80s (yes, it ran into the 90s, but still). Not only that, but it was the very first game show Nickelodeon ever made (it premiered in 1986). The Human Hamster Wheel had also been later renamed "The One-Ton..." during the Marc Summers era., but this article makes it look like a new name (or it was always called "The One-Ton..."; I'm personally not sure). It also looks like it just reflects the website's personal excitement over an update to "their" old Nickelodeon memory ("this obstacle is back, and it's just like the original; that obstacle is back, and so is this one", etc.) Other people have watched the show, too, you know.

As for the set itself, I don't know. Both the original set (all three versions*), and the Double Dare 2000 set were more...colorful (and not so dark). It looks as if they're bringing it back for prime time, or something (even if it is airing on Nickelodeon itself). It also looks like they'll be bringing back the original "two to a team" version, as opposed to Double Dare 2000 being an update of the "family" version. That said, I don't mind either way (if it's two to a team, or the family version, I mean). I mean, it is a "family" game show, after all.

*The original Nickelodeon (and syndication) version, the Fox Family Double Dare version, and the Nickelodeon Family Double Dare version.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Ratings
316 15
Newington, CT, USA
Okay, this is a double post, but the show premiered just now, and the first episode was alright, except for Liza's "Does this generation play chess?" joke. That wasn't fair to anyone who does play chess. She may was well ask if "this generation" plays any board game. I also didn't like how the very first question was about a Nickelodeon show. That was predictable. The questions were otherwise like they should be; that is, not too "educational" (although the Amelia Earhart question could be either or). Now, there are some other things too, but they don't bring it down too much: the rounds are shorter, and they don't play the Double Dare theme's drum part when they come back from a physical challenge (or the second toss up). The second toss-up was played like first one (that is, it starts with the "on your mark, get set, go" part of the theme). Technically, it's supposed to be played like any other physical challenge, but that doesn't really hurt anything. For the obstacle course, the wringer is supposed to be one set of those rolling things followed by a ramp that you slide down. I do wonder why they changed that one. Oh yeah, it seems that Marc Summers is now the announcer. He also gives the answers to questions that the team taking the physical challenge didn't get.

Overall, they did get it right for the most part, but that was just one episode. Sorry, everyone. I did like it, but this show isn't off the hook yet. I mean, what's to say they won't make some sweeping changes if they decide that the show as it is now isn't good enough? Game shows do that sometimes, you know? I will however, say, that despite what the new set looks like, it still felt like Double Dare . It didn't try to be all dramatic or anything. I'm also glad they didn't do that thing where something is about to happen..."when we come back!". I hope this show doesn't do that later on. I really do. As I type this, I'm watching the second episode right now, which also appears to be what anyone would expect from Double Dare for the most part.

In all, they've gotten it right so far, but I'm really hoping they don't eventually try to fix what isn't broken...