Does anyone here actually still read comics?

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by wonderfly, Feb 9, 2018.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

It's 2018. Does anyone here actually still read comics?

And if so, how many do you consume, per month? Is it a handful of just certain titles that you follow, or do you buy every title written by an author or artist you like, or do you buy every comic in a line of comics (like "all Spider-Man titles or "all Batman titles")?

Do you buy less than 10? Do you buy more than 25 or 30?

Do you buy TPB's only? Or do you only read digital comics, by this point?

Share with your fellow Toonzone members your comic book reading habits!

2. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I buy any and all Disney Comics I can afford. I'm currently reading The Don Rosa Library by Fantagraphics but I also get all of the IDW comics and Joe's Books comics, and as many of their hard and softcover books as I can afford. I also got The Complete Calvin and Hobbes recently and all five Complete Bloom County books along with the Complete Outland and the Complete Opus. I buy all of the Buffy and Angel comics but I never wind up reading them. I also buy Groo comics whenever Sergio and Mark come up with a new miniseries. I also collect Teen Titans Go!

3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

My reading habits are very irregular. There are a few European comic series I read from my library. I tend to read many albums at once in a few weeks and then don't read any comics at all the following weeks.

I only buy comics that are not available in my library :sweat: Currently that's 2 or 3 Duck Avengers each year. (about 750 pages in total) I am also planning to buy "True Memoirs of Docteur Mystère" issue 1-3 in hardcover, whatever that is. It sounds promising.

I also read Calvin & Hobbes and Hoshin Engi at the moment. Planning to read Liar Game and Monster.

I don't read Marvel or DC. I only know them from cartoons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

I'm slowly catching up on some of the books I'd ordered from the hometown shop. Otherwise, I'm not doing a lot of reading. My brother got me Silver Age World's Finest, vol. 1 for my birthday. I may be retiring from collecting again soon, as the average cover price is around 3-4 dollars per issue, and that puts a drain on one's bank account when you have to conserve money (bills, rent, etc.).

#4 hobbyfan, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. Red Arrow :D

What about you, Wonderfly?

6. wonderfly

Well, no...but I've been flirting with getting back into them (well, with Marvel Comics at least).

I stopped being a diehard collector (buying nearly every single title) back around 2010, though I still read certain titles. I actually got to work for Marvel for 2 to 3 years starting around this point, and in retrospect, it's probably one of those instances where working in the genre started to impede with my ability to fully follow the genre (that, plus my kids started being born and that took up my time).

My work for Marvel had dried up in 2012. I stopped reading around early 2013, I think...the "X-Men vs Avengers" storyline was just starting up, and I couldn't keep up (I was still reading some stuff from 3 to 4 years prior)...it was time to let it go.

I did do some more brief work for Marvel in 2015/2016, but I wasn't following the comics by that point. So it's been 5 years since I've followed what was going on.

Anyway, I recently checked, and Marvel still has it's Marvel Unlimited website, which allows you to read digital comics (in a Netflix-rental style library), ranging from the Silver Age to contemporary stuff - the one catch being that the "new releases" on Marvel Unlimited are stuff that was published on the stands 6 months ago. So there's a 6 month delay for it to be added to the website.

And I'm thinking of just diving in and reading new digital releases as they come out each week. To see if returning to Marvel after 5 years away leaves me shocked as to what's going on, or if I can just resume reading stories for some of my favorite characters.

So that's what I'm toying with, right now.

#6 wonderfly, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  7. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

What did you do for Marvel?

8. wonderfly

From late 2009 to 2012, I was one of the writers on the Official Index to the Marvel Universe line of books. I contributed material to nearly all of those collections.

Besides writing, I also did some clerical work for them (helping put together databases cataloging story appearances of characters, along with some other things).

But the Index ended in 2012 and that work dried up.

In 2015/2016, I was able to contribute to the Guidebook to the Marvel Cinematic Universe line of books, for a little while.

Had to quit that work eventually though, to focus on other employment opportunities, but I would like to get back into it someday, hopefully soon.

So yes, it's the Handbook/Index department, but it could be a blast. Always fun when editors for the books would turn to us with questions about "Has character X ever encountered character Y before now?", stuff like that.

9. Solder3705

Solder3705 New Member

I read "The Walking Dead". In my opinion, Robert Kirkman should complete this comic. Altogether, as of now, was not to my liking the latest volume. Comic all the time is based on single schema, with the result that story has become predictable.
    Last year i read the latest comics DC Rebirth. I'm not a big fan of the comic book universe, but I liked read them. Most appelaed to me taste was the story of Dick Grayson. This is a character that, in part, to I identify.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chocolate Fizzles

Chocolate Fizzles The Daffiest Duck

I do from time to time like JTHM and I hate Fairyland but other than that, I don't really read comics.

11. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Mostly DC Comics titles at this point with a couple IDW, Dark Horse and Image books. I find Marvel's output has been pretty low quality lately both in terms of the actual physical product and the stories themselves. I still pick up Marvel's Star Wars titles, but I've cut back heavily on their regular books. Outside of Thor and Amazing Spider-Man there's not much catching my eye. I just find their current titles to be overall very underwhelming and I know I'm not the only one. And their upcoming relaunch looks to be more of the same.

12. durian

durian New Member

I still read comics online, but physically? Not anymore. They take up too much space. I also like reading comics made by independent creators.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Mostly I just read random graphic novels from the library, but I don't bother to keep up with comics anymore. Too many reboots/relaunches/etc

14. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

Yes i still read comics so i can see more of my favorite heroes

15. jaylop97

jaylop97 Nickelodeon Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I still read comics, usually some DC and Marvel ones. I read some "Adventures of Tintin" comics as well mainly in French to keep my French reading skills afloat.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

I'll occasionally buy some newer comics to catch up on what's up in DC/Marvel, as well as some of the books based off of CN shows, but for the most part I just stick to buying older comics from the 70s-mid 90s, which I find more enjoyable (and much cheaper too).

17. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Well-Known Member

I've read some a while back just waiting for the right time to read again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

18. Dreyfus

Dreyfus Well-Known Member

They are too expensive for me to keep up on a month to month basis with, but I keep a Marvel Unlimited subscription and buy the trades for things I really want to own/my favorites. The library has also been a good place for me to catch up on stories I've heard good things about.

Oddly enough I love comic book and superhero storytelling so much I have begun working out my own script. The individual issues are just too expensive and the market too specialized for me to be able to justify monthly titles in my budget though.

19. wonderfly

"2 Months Later" Update:

Well, I started reading Marvel Unlimited "new releases" (aka "stuff that was released 6 months ago in comic book stores but is now on the digital website"). And yes, there's lot of cool (and not-so-cool) stuff available. But the more I read, the more I had questions, like "Okay, 'Old Man Logan' now exists in the mainstream Marvel Universe and Kitty Pryde was a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy for a while? Huh?!?"

The stories were fine (I'm used to Marvel constantly shaking up the status quo and killing and bringing people back to life) but I decided I wanted go back and read a lot of these stories I missed.

And so I debated with myself: How far back do I go? Back to Late 2015, when they combined the Marvel and Ultimate universes (in the "Secret Wars" event) and relaunched a lot of titles with new first issues? That was also around the time I last somewhat paid attention to what was going on. I hadn't actually read any of these back in 2015, but I heard about some of the storylines, and I thought it might make for a good starting point. So I read a few issues recently, on the Marvel Unlimited website, but even then, I found that Thor was a woman and Spider-Man was a billionaire, and I was like "Okay, but how did THAT happen?"

So I decided: maybe go back to Summer 2012, around the start of "Avengers vs X-Men", when I did stop reading comics? But truth be told, I was only reading a handful of titles that last year or two (in 2011 and 2012). And I never did read that story where Loki became a kid or when Nick Fury became a black man (in the main Marvel Universe), and there's somehow a Red She-Hulk.

...I ended up going all the way back to mid 2009 to early 2010. Picking up right where I left off with certain titles. Norman Osborn is still a public hero and the New Avengers are in hiding. Spider-Man is freshly "unmarried" to Mary Jane, and the X-Men are forming a sanctuary city off of San Francisco.

Maybe I'll skip ahead at some point down the road. But I'm kind of intrigued with just reading EVERYTHING going forward, starting with where I left off all those years ago, back in 2009, back when I first drastically scaled back my comic book purchases and reading (due to financial reasons). I mean, if it's all available on the Marvel Unlimited website now, why not?

#19 wonderfly, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  20. Red Arrow :D

Recently started buying the integrales of Les Petits Hommes. A bit expensive but worth it. (€35,95 for each album, 200 to 350 pages each, very large size, there will be 11 or 12 albums in total)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]