1. If you are seeing non-stop CMP acceptance notifications, go here and we will help you troubleshoot:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-cmp-acceptance-notice.5663692/
    If you are seeing non-stop Privacy/ToS acceptance notifications, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/non-stop-privacy-terms-acceptance.5663702/
    If you are seeing threads with no posts at all, go here:
    https://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/threads-with-no-content.5663811/
    Please note that these are separate issues. Posting in the correct thread will help us resolve the issue faster.
    Dismiss Notice

Documentaries on geek culture

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by the greenman, May 31, 2018.

1. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm a huge aficionado on documentaries in general. I've been watching stuff since Behind the Music. I'm also hooked on TV One's Unsung on the same subject matter. I plan on watching "Won't You Be My Neighbor?" on Mister Rogers. However, now I've been into animation and film and looking into artists as I identify as one myself.

What are your favorite documentaries on the cultural arts (cartoonists or animators) artists? A few of mine:

Honorary mentions to American Splendor (biopic/documentary) and History of Image Comics from SyFy.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Rick Jones likes this.
  2. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man Staff Member Moderator

I used to really like Waking Sleeping Beauty and The Pixar Story, about the Disney Renaissance and the birth of Pixar. I think a lot of the programs I have been a fan of were series such as what History and PBS have done on comics and shows in the past, or the current Toys That Made Us. A movie I was a fan of last year was Batman & Bill, about the fight to recognition for Bill Finger as a creator of Batman. I really enjoyed the presentation of it as well. In contrast, I watched Doomed, about all of what went into making Roger Corman's Fantastic Four, and it offered a lot of perspective but the presentation was severely lacking.

There are also some good (in my humble opinion) video essayists on YouTube that offer a lot of good viewpoints about movies, tv and comics, with presentations along the lines of what I'd like to see in documentaries.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    the greenman likes this.
  3. the greenman

I need to see that Batman one. I can't remember if I saw that Pixar one, "Waking Sleeping Beauty" was very good. I'm currently seeking out "She Makes Comics" and "The Hand Behind the Mouse: The Ub Iwerks Story". Will report here my thoughts.

Rick Jones likes this.
  4. Rick Jones

I saw the Ub Iwerks doc on cable a long time ago, probably on Ovation or a similar channel. That was a good one.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I still haven't seen Trekkies but I need to.

6. the greenman

She Makes Comics:
    It was a good documentary. My only complaint was not enough concentration on the artists themselves; but the focus at least giving Louise Simonson and Gail Simone was definitely worth the watch. It had an overwhelming feminist propaganda bent. I recently talked to a young female coworker about the issues in the doc I deemed propaganda and she very much shut me down. And without me telling her beat by beat what the documentary talked about she literally confirmed it. So I do understand this bent, and even applaud it, but to have it more fleshed out as I'm more accustomed to in documentaries; it misses the mark for me. Honestly, it felt a little rushed IMHO. Now having Wendy Pini was a huge GET. I was an Elf Quest fan from a kid and it in and of itself could use a documentary on its own. Impressed that Little Lulu was brought up breifly.

Missing was the following:
    -Cathy was a comic strip drawn by Cathy Guisewite. NO MENTION.
    -Benita L. Epstein, cartoonist.
    -Shary Flenniken (who was just in a National Lampoon documentary)
    -Lynn Varley Frank Miller's ex-wife and colorist on Dark Knight Returns to name a few.

Am watching new season of "Toys tha Made Us". I figured Transformers would come up. Now we need Voltron, My Little Pony, and maybe Cabbage Patch Kids which has a pretty sad backstory.

7. Rick Jones

They say it's an 8 part series in the intro, do it might be completed now. I don't understand the inclusion of Star Trek but I may need to watch that one to find out. I really enjoyed the first batch but of the second batch, I've only seen the Transformers episode so far.

8. the greenman

Ohhh yes, that's correct. Star Trek was based on the Star Wars one meaning their fandom would watch. Having said that, yeah the Star Trek one was kinda bleh. I would say Voltron because Netflix has the updated animated series. My Little Pony has a huge resurgence and fandom.

9. the greenman

The Ub Iwerks Story:

I really wish I had seen this sooner. I'm pretty certain I have seen this available in the library when I was in college; but never considered to pick it up. I have always heard Ub was the co-creator of Mickey Mouse. However, this documentary goes incredibly deep into all he accomplished, for not only animation, but film as well. Definitely an informative and enjoyable film. Kinda sad to see Lasseter in this. Sad in a way not on the level of Spacey, Cosby, or Weinstein, but how things have changed. Not going to change narrative of this thread. Anyway, for those in the know, are Ub's shorts on DVD?