Do you agree with changing a character for a new animated adaption?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by The Overlord, Jul 11, 2018.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

In the new Ducktales cartoon, Doofus Drake, a silly comic relief character from the original show, was turned into a rich spoiled psychopath in the new show. Some people seemed unhappy with this change:

https://www.bsckids.com/2018/07/did-ducktales-ruin-doofus-drake/

I kinda liked it, because I think creepy and sinister characters are kinda compelling when done right and really the original character was a dime a dozen comic relief side kick.

But this opens up a bigger question, do you think its a good thing to change characters when creating a new animated show or movie? I am not just talking about one animated show or movie to another, changes can be made when adapting books, comic books, manga, live action properties, etc to animation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gatordragon

Gatordragon Don't blink, you'll miss it.

Honestly, I think it depends. There's nothing inherently good or bad about an adaptation altering a character. For example, the new Ducktales changed a lot of the characters from the old cartoon and many of these changes are well-received. Now some changes were criticized, such as Launchpad being made dumber than he originally was and apparently Doofus Drake's new characterization. In general, adapting characters can be pretty hit and miss and not everyone will be pleased with the results.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DuckTales ruined Doofus Drake? Are they serious? Doofus was the worst character on the old show. He was Bubba Duck before Bubba Duck was a thing. Can't take that article seriously.

"We all loved Doofus"? Nobody I knew loved Doofus. He was a 100% nuisance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. BSCKids

BSCKids New Member

Ok so first off, I want to say this forum is awesome and I am glad that I found it because I think I will be spending some time here. Second though I do have to defend myself a little bit :) So I did like Doofus in the original series, and maybe it was more about what happened around him rather than the character itself, I would concede that. I love the Junior Woodchuck stuff that seemed to be prevalent in his episodes and also the fact that we saw a lot of Launchpad due to his hero worship. Now Bubba Duck was awful for me as a character, but I did enjoy Doofus and his moral compass. Now I have to go and look around this forum, but thanks for reading!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. The Overlord

The Overlord Active Member

Fair enough, everyone has their own favorite character, even Wesley Crusher or Jar Jar Binks have fans. I can appreciate that fact.

But sometimes you have to let creators put a new spin on things rather being totally devoted to everything that came before. Back in 1992, BTAS changed Mr. Freeze from a generic bad guy to a sympathetic Anti Villain, but I bet some might like the old Mr. Freeze. Newer versions of Shredder are more psychopathic and revenge obsessed then the old goofy 87 version, I think that works, but some people might like the old goofy Shredder better.

I like this new Doofus, because I like creepy and sinister villains and I think the character is teaching children a lesson about the corruption wealth can bring. I think most people like the new Webby though, she is much better in the new show then she was in the old show.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 The Overlord, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

Depends on the character and how the character is changed. Sometimes the change is good, sometimes the change is bad, very very bad.
    Doofus's change was good in my opinion as his previous incarnation wasn't exactly a likable character or memorable either. Plus creepy stalker characters work best as antagonist as they're not really likable as those characters who stalk the protagonist. There is a chance of Doofus reverting to his previous incarnation as "Day of the Only Child" showed that he used to be sweet and he can revert to that if Launchpad even gets a hold on him.
    Webby was another changed character that was improved from her previous incarnation. Though there are issues with her being OP in a fight and playing any hunting type games, it's still an improvement over the whiny version.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BSCKids

BSCKids New Member

Ok see I don't dislike the character they have created, I just think it should have been a new stand alone character with that personality rather than Doofus... see I don't mind the Webby change because it seems more subtle to me and her being a main character and all it made more sense. Again just my take on it. Now don't even get me started on the Gummi Bear references in that last episode of DuckTales....

Already love these forums, great discussion with people that are courteous :)

8. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think it’s okay to change a character for an adaptation. When you make an adaptation, there are going to be changes. Just for the record, I kind of liked Doofus when I was little. About ten years ago I watched a bunch of old VHS’s I had at the time and I wanted to punch the TV every time Doofus appeared. He pretty much just existed to make fat jokes.

• Winner Winner x 1