Disney (or Comcast?) buys 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,524 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Jeez, I really hope Disney’s not going to buy another major film studio just to get the film rights back for ONE character. That’s a bit extreme. Maybe Sony will liquidate their assets and Disney can just buy Spider-Man and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
Here's a thought. What will happen to News Corp and the spun-off assets of 21st Century Fox (those not part of the merger with Disney) after Rupert Murdoch dies?

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,524 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Here's a thought. What will happen to News Corp and the spun-off assets of 21st Century Fox (those not part of the merger with Disney) after Rupert Murdoch dies?
I assume the company’s board of directors will manage it until they can find someone in their ranks to fulfill whatever responsibilities he has. In terms of ownership, it’ll probably go to his children.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,261 4
Framingham, MA
Comcast owning it would be a real problem. I'm not crazy about the Disney deal myself, but Comcast actually has control of what people can see and watch as well as internet services. And they should not have that much entertainment content at their disposal. I don't trust them not to make it unaffordable for consumers.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,524 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Comcast owning the FOX assets is worse than Disney owning them. And if Disney doesn’t find a way to get X-Men back before Comcast gets it, they’ll never get it.
Rumor has it that Sony’s media company will be sold. If Disney can’t have FOX, having that Sony Entertainment won’t be so bad.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
If AT&T does succeed with buying Time Warner they shouldn't stop there. They should add other acquisitions to their media empire to be more on Disney and Comcast's level. DHX Media, MGM, and AMC Networks are a few that come to mind (even if the AT&T-TWX merger fails, those companies should be added to Time Warner nonetheless). An acquisition of DHX would require the Family channels to be sold to another Canadian company, likewise MGM would require Epix to be sold off (due to HBO and Cinemax already being owned by TWX).

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
Another thing that will probably happen with this merger is the combination of ABC Signature Studios with Fox 21 Television Studios since they both serve similar purposes (producing shows for the cable/streaming markets). The best name I could come up with for the combined studio is ABC 21 Signature Studios.