Disney (or Comcast?) buys 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion in stock?

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

I don't know how it's like in the UK, but in most of Europe, there is no competition when it comes to streaming services. Netflix doesn't have any proper competitor.

Amazon Prime recently launched, but its main audience is just 6 countries. (UK, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg)

Hulu is not a thing here.

HBO Go is only available on selected providers and it's way more expensive and way less extensive than Netflix. Honestly everyone here just pays for Netflix and watches HBO shows illegally.

I know Disney said there streaming service won't come to Europe, but now I have hope that they will eventually change their mind.
The UK market is well developed in terms of SVOD services. There's NOW TV it's owned by Sky which is part owned by FOX, which offers a near full pay-TV experience covering the popular channels, on-demand movies and live sport.

Disney's SVOD service - DisneyLife is already available in major European countries, it launched in late 2015. I subscribed to the service when it launched here, same for Netflix UK.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
Ratings
2,529 28
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
Disney is planning to revive the Buena Vista brand to release an M Night Shamalamawa Movie in 2019.
It got me thinking that maybe Disney will rename the merged company as Buena Vista. All Fox branded content that will be acquired could change its name to that, while Disney keeps their name on everything family friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disney is planning to revive the Buena Vista brand to release an M Night Shamalamawa Movie in 2019.
It got me thinking that maybe Disney will rename the merged company as Buena Vista. All Fox branded content that will be acquired could change its name to that, while Disney keeps their name on everything family friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought that said film was going to be a Touchstone one.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
Here's another trade I thought of.

NBCUniversal has ancillary rights to two Rankin-Bass Xmas specials that currently air on CBS.

NBC currently broadcasts This Is Us, a show Disney will own through buying 20th Century Fox.

And ESPN, a division of Disney, has the cable rights to The Masters, a golf tournament that has aired its later rounds on CBS for decades.

Here's the trade that could be worked out:
NBC gives This Is Us to Disney (ABC), who gives cable rights to The Masters to CBS (CBS Sports Network), who then gives the broadcast rights to the Rankin-Bass specials to NBC.

Everyone gets something they want.

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
Ratings
481 2
Here's another trade I thought of.

NBCUniversal has ancillary rights to two Rankin-Bass Xmas specials that currently air on CBS.

NBC currently broadcasts This Is Us, a show Disney will own through buying 20th Century Fox.

And ESPN, a division of Disney, has the cable rights to The Masters, a golf tournament that has aired its later rounds on CBS for decades.

Here's the trade that could be worked out:
NBC gives This Is Us to Disney (ABC), who gives cable rights to The Masters to CBS (CBS Sports Network), who then gives the broadcast rights to the Rankin-Bass specials to NBC.

Everyone gets something they want.
I'm not sure This Is Us will move to ABC once the deal is finalised and let me point you out that ABC has produced shows that air on a different network, for example: Criminal Minds, which airs on CBS.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
The plan for Blue Sky is to keep it under Fox, which goes against my wish of making Fox a brand for PG-13 and up films exclusively. It would be a better fit under the main Disney label.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
128 11
Ohio
I know how Family Guy can regain its edge. A theatrical movie. I could see that happening with this merger coming. A theatrical movie wouldn't be subject to network standards and practices. Which means Seth MacFarlane could pretty much do whatever he wants.