Disney buys 21st Century Fox for $52.4 billion in stock

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by sasq, Nov 6, 2017.

1. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Fox has done non-animated family films before, so I don't see your wish of Fox being a studio for films that are rated PG-13 and R, should the deal be finalised.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

If they create a new branch for FOX-only films, then I don't think they would or should do strictly PG-13. Iger swears they will keep R-rated fare in terms of doing Deadpool, so they clearly want to continue in that vein. I believe the Alien sequel is cancelled though. One thing I can pretty much bet, Disney will not keep IP's that cost money and don't return.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

3. PF9

PF9 Member

From what I heard Fox will retain distribution rights to DWA's 2013-17 films for a few more years.

Perhaps Disney can trade those rights to Universal for distribution rights to Hulk solo movies?

4. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That’s not really a fair trade. Why should Universal trade for something they’ll automatically get back in a few years? Plus, I think they’ll get it back in 2019. If not sooner.

I’ve been thinking, if this deal goes through, Disney will then own 40% of the market share when it comes to media. If this is allowed, what’s to stop other media companies to merge so they can control their own 40%? I don’t think two companies controlling 80% of the media we consume is a good thing.
    Then again, this doesn’t pertain to internet media, which will eventually be our primary source of entertainment, as it currently is with children now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  5. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy Member

Let's be fair, The Incredible Hulk is long over due for a solo sequel.

6. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Here's something interesting: since the FOX Sports branches outside of the USA will be sold off, the SE Asian channels will probably revert to ESPN.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

A bit late but I thought I'd share some more thoughts

Now let me be clear when I say, I love Disney's entertainment and creative properties, I love the majority of their animated products and some of their live-action work; of course on the business side of things Disney has done some unacceptable things to accomplish said work like stealing from other people, (case with Zootopia) or unfairly treating animators, (especially female animators) and even releasing some of their movies on the same opening weekend as another movie and throw as much advertisement prior to overpower the competition (ei Lion King vs Swan Princess)... but at least in the entertainment side of things, they are fairly endearing.

For the past decade, Disney has actually been buying some other brands, particularly Marvel Comics, and since then they bought the rights to Lucasfilms, and then Hulu and Maker Films, then recently last year, they actually went ahead and bought 20th Century Fox and their own movie and television devision, including the rights to The X-Men and Fantastic Four, the rest of the Star Wars material, The Simpsons, and even National Geographic... this is where things get scary.

Now to be fair, on one hand this buy out/merger does have it's upsides; it helps to revitalize properties like Star Wars and FF, plus other divisions could profit from under Disney's umbrella and those divisions if successful can provide for other companies just the same... on the other hand such a merger can be a detriment to the entire entertainment industry (at least in Hollywood) and it could just as well be bad for consumers.

The reason why the game, Monopoly exists is to teach players the potential dangers of what happens when a certain competitor is in the lead and starts buying up so much of everything that there are no potential markets for others and so their forced to quit. (I may be wrong about that but I digress)

And in real life it's practically the same thing; yeah Disney does own too much, especially after this new acquisition Disney is pretty close to the edge of Monopoly laws even if they aren't facing a monopoly quite yet.

Again, Disney can and does produce good entertainment and even some great creative properties, but their influence on laws that are suppose to control or regulate businesses is starting to make turn it into a detriment; and again while Disney buying more properties does help other popular franchises like Marvel or Start Wars it's only distracting us from the potential danger it has towards other properties that aren't under Disney's umbrella because they are not owned by Disney and are still trying to compete with a company that's just getting more and more powerful, thus having a harder time trying to stay in business as it keeps going, with inevitable ultimatum being to allow themselves being bought or die out altogether. (former of which will of course only make Disney more powerful anyway)

A big company like Disney that continues to get bigger or cloud out other competitors is not only bad for other businesses but it's also bad for the consumers as prices rise and creativity actually falls, particularly if any remaining competition have a much harder time moving forward.

Remember, Disney was responsible for messing around with copyright laws, (Especially the erosion of The Public Domain!) so them buying more things partly feels like a bandaid for being stuck on not coming up with original properties of their own since they can't get it freely and legally after what the company did just to retain the rights to their characters.

Even if Disney is interesting more in creating entertainment than making a quick buck, they still have the power and the potential to choke out any other competitor, and dare I say The Internet may have it worse, particularly as more streaming sites close down leaving only Dailymotion and YouTube which still suffer from broken copyright rules people can abuse to ruin others!

At the end of the day, many of us are left to wonder "What will Disney buy next?!" or "Will Disney actually buy everything?" and if so "What will Disney do next after there's nothing more to buy?" or "What will happen to Hollywood itself should Disney buy everything?"

Frankly, should Disney buy practically everything, then after that Hollywood definitely needs to be restructured, so everything Disney bought can branch out into their own devisions again and restore potential competition and creativity in the entertainment industry.

That's just what I think.

• Like Like x 1
  8. the greenman

I feel like Disney is both strategic and opportunistic. Their 1996 North American distribution rights of the Studio Ghibli library, partial purchase of the Jim Henson Company in 2004, MARVEL purchased in 2009, Lucasfilm purchased in 2012, and now FOX in 2017. If you can't beat em buy em.

9. Hulkwummy

Hulkwummy Member

I hope Disney buys Universal next because I want to see a solo Hulk sequel.

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Happy Holidays
    Staff Member Moderator

They just need the rights. Acquiring Universal wouldn't be a possibility but I hope they do something about getting the full rights back.

I really wonder how long it will be before the Spider-Man rights are back. Every few months, it feels like there's more reports of Sony being sold.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

#270 Rick Jones, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  11. the greenman

Well SONY is in danger, but I'm not sure Disney desires anything from them. Considering the Japanese facet makes more off of PS.

12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Happy Holidays
    Staff Member Moderator

I think any other attempt at a big studio purchase like that would definitely result in some kind of monopoly blockage. Heck, this Fox deal hasn't been approved yet.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    #272 Rick Jones, Jan 19, 2018
  13. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

Why? There's literally zero point in Disney buying Uni (and forming more of a possible Hollywood monopoly) just for the rights of a comic book character, when Uni can support themselves from way more than just that (being owned by Comcast helps too). All they can/should do is license some rights or buy them outright.

14. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

All the Marvel rights have a clause in them that says the rights return back to Marvel if said company gets sold it's how the rights ended up at Sony in the first place, it's how the Spiderman rights got shuffled around so much in the 90's.

15. the greenman

Oh yeah, I know that. I'm talking about the possibility of purchasing SONY. Yeah, other than Spidey, Ghostbusters, Hotel Transylvania, both Underworld & Resident Evil, and some TV series and game shows, I can't imagine they see it as an asset next to FOX.

16. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

They might want Sony just for Spidey to make their cinematic Marvel Universe complete and easier to work with. Plus, Disney Channel is already airing Hotel Transylvania: The Series and I imagine that a new Ghostbusters animated series would work well for Disney XD. So it's not that farfetched, although I agree that it's at the same time less likely. Sony is Sony. In other words big. I doubt they'd sell their film/tv department to anyone unless they needed that money - which right now they really don't.

17. PF9

PF9 Member

To be clear, it would be just Sony Pictures being sold to Disney. Maybe Disney would want Sony Music too to become a major record label (Disney Music Group is merely a minor player in the record industry).

But I think the only realistic option is some rights trade. Disney owns the rights to the first Deuce Bigalow movie, but Sony owns the second. Disney can trade the rights to the first movie to Sony (and maybe throw in the Adam Sandler movies Disney owns and 2002's The Hot Chick) in exchange for full rights to Spider-Man.

• Like Like x 1
    #277 PF9, Jan 19, 2018
  18. the greenman

No offense, but I highly doubt any studio is in contention for Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider's back catalogue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379 Active Member

Yeeaaah...I'm pretty sure nobody would be proud of owning -- let alone would want to buy -- the rights to a(ny) Rob Schneider film.

20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Sounds fair to me. :p
    Quiet! You're souring the deal!