Digimon Adventure Gets a High School Sequel

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by River26, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not sure if there's any signs that she's afraid of Digimon. She may be afraid of what damage they could do to the human world again, but that would be about it. I could buy that she doesn't see them as real living beings though and thus sees no problem with killing all of the Digimon.

2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well a rebuttal that she is irredeemable evil, she has done some fishy stuff, make evil expression, you know how many antagonist in Digimon have done that and how many of them have more to them than that and get redeemed. For example episode 11 in Xros Wars, you know how evil and psychotic Nene looked at the end of that episode, let's wait and see wait and see what happens, this franchise is very good with fooling the audience, let's not jump to conclusion just yet, they have done this before.

3. DCVSMARVEL1996

[​IMG]
    I was thinking about Sora have love relationship between Tai and Matt in Digimon Adventure Tri.

In Digimon Adventure Season 1: I not sure if that Sora was fall love with Tai.

In Digimon Adventure Movie 2: I can see that Tai was fall love with Sora when he was try write letter with his e-mail for send to Sora but he didn't send her then Kari sent her and then Sora received his e-mail

In Digimon Adventure 02 Season 2: I not know why that Sora was fall love with Matt and she left Tai so I am wandering what Tai done wrong and why Sora left with Tai?

In Digimon Adventure 02 Movie 4: I see Sora has date with Matt and no reason why that Sora not love with Tai.

Digimon Adventure tri Movie Part 1: I see Sora has crush between Tai and Matt when they invited her.

Digimon Adventure tri Movie Part 2: N/A

Digimon Adventure tri Movie Part 3: N/A

Digimon Adventure tri Movie Part 4: I can't wait see what happen next and I not know if Sora has choice between Tai or Matt.

But I guess that Sora has choice with Matt and not Tai because I can see that Sora was married with Matt in future 25 years later from Digimon Adventure 02 Season 2 and they got 2 children.

So I not know that Tai who is his wife and he got 1 son so I not know who is mother.

4. DCVSMARVEL1996

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Gamest in the Land
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Oooh! Sweet! Shout!Factory are usually good distributing nerdy stuff like these, so I expect some neat features.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's pretty cool. I was hoping that they'd include the Japanese versions with the DVD releases of these movies. Watching them on Crunchyroll is good, but I do still like owning DVDs so I can watch stuff whenever I want without paying a fee for it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCVSMARVEL1996

9. zoombie

I am wondering, next episode of Digimon Universe Appli Monster comes out on 2/4 three weeks before this movie, so well we get special OP and ED showing clips from Tri 4, well we will see.

10. DCVSMARVEL1996

Do you think that Sora choose Tai?

Because I see some internet picture that Sora was with Tai but what about Matt and that Sora didn't choose Matt?

11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So the new movie came out today:

I enjoyed it, but it felt so underwhelming and much slower paced compared to most of the other movies. Granted, that slower pace did make sense. The previous movie was a huge emotional ride and they did need to cool down from that. Plus, they wanted to show the kids bonding with their Digimon partners again, which did make me tear up a bit. All of the Digimon were afraid of them at first, but the kids wanted to see them again and that did make me quiet sad. It was nice that most of them were able to slowly warm up to their human partners, aside from Yokomon and they were able to get back to their Rookie forms much sooner than I thought they would be too.

I liked that they wanted to find Meicoomon and bring her back with Meiko. Plus, she still had memories in spite of the reboot, so that could have given them some indication of how to restore their Digimon partners' memories. While it was slower than I was expecting, it was nice to see them reconnect with their Digimon partners. The scene with Taichi and Yamato trying to comfort Sora was quite good. Both of them were clueless to the obvious problem and Taichi making a similar comment to what Biyomon did before only made it worse. It seemed pretty clear that Sora was broken up over Biyomon basically disliking her while everyone else was able to reconnect with their partners.

I was wondering if they'd be able to evolve like normal even after getting to their Rookie forms, but it looked like they were stuck there for awhile. I liked the idea of the group being split up with different Digimon partners. I always thought that kind of neat in the original series too since it allowed for some different group dynamics. Seeing Gabumon being worried about calling Yamato by his first name was kind of cute. Although, I was confused as to how they got split apart, but I guess the attack created some dimensional worm holes. It felt like the montage should have been shown completely, especially Koshiro showing pictures of their past to Agumon and Gomamon. That was the first physical proof they had that the Digimon did know the humans before and had a past. That should have been more of a big deal than mentioning it off screen like that. Plus, it felt like they didn't really do much with the group splitting up for too long given how only a couple of them had any decent amount of focus.

There were some nice moments during the group being split apart though. Hikari mentioning how Salamon was probably happier this way was kind of sweet. She did have a terrible past before with being separated from the other Digimon in the past and being taken in by Myotismon, so the reboot did give Salamon a happier beginning at least. It wasn't easy for Taichi to just accept the Digimon as they were to move forward. It does feel like they lost all of their precious Digimon, even though they were together again. Yamato talking a bit about his relationship with Taichi was nice. He obviously doesn't hate him, but Yamato does get angered pretty easily and their different attitudes often clash with each other.

I felt bad for Sora when she was trying so hard to reach out to Biyomon only to be shot down all the time. Seeing Sora cry seemed to affect Biyomon at least a bit. Although, I felt like there was a missing transition from Biyomon's reaction to Sora crying and then finding Meiko. They also never explained how she ended up in the Digital World. They could in the next movie, but that seemed really strange to me. I like how Meiko was trying to reassure Sora after how they helped her during the previous movie over Meicoomon. It was a nice way to show her becoming more comfortable with the other Chosen Children. I actually thought that Meicoomon was still carrying the infection, which still might be true, but it seemed like she was just really broken up over thinking that Meiko had abandoned her. Their reunion was rather sweet and showed how much they cared about each other.

I was wondering when Gennai would show up, but I didn't expect him to be that creepy. We already knew he was evil. He didn't have to pin Sora down like that and lick her face. That was just way too creepy. He isn't human, but that's still the image of a grown man assaulting a teenage girl. That's not cool nor was it particularly necessary to make him look more like a villain. At least Biyomon finally started to help Sora because of that attack. I was interested in Gennai's line about how Digimon who died in the human world would be brought back here. Unless I misunderstood that line, that could mean that Digimon like Wizardmon could finally come back to life instead of being ghosts.

I was surprised with Himekawa doing all of this to get her own Digimon partner back. I just assumed that she wanted to get rid of Digimon due to the destruction they have caused on the real world, so that was a surprising twist. I wonder if she and Nishijima were some of the first Chosen Children that were mentioned at the end of Adventure. That motivation does make her more sympathetic than I had expected. We saw how much it tore up the main cast to lose their partners after the reboot happened. Himekawa's partner was sacrificed and she had to deal with that loss for years. It was probably at least a good decade of grieving over her partner. That facial expression when she finally saw Tapirmon and it didn't recognize her was pretty creepy though.

It was pretty intense to see them under attack, especially when they didn't have access to their Digimon evolving for awhile. I loved seeing how Taichi and Yamato were able to get their Digimon to Mega Evolve again. It was a really touching moment that felt like a little call back to the Our War Games movie with the roles reverse. Taichi and Yamato were in danger, able to communicate with their Digimon mentally and both Agumon and Gabumon reached out to them instead. It was a really nice way to show how strong their bonds were. Even with their memories gone, they still were able to unlock their Digimon's power. That was my favorite scene from the whole movie, even though the rest of the fight scene further emphasized that.

I thought it was sweet that Biyomon finally opened up with Sora after protecting her. She was still a bit more harsh than she was in the past, but Sora was happy just to have a bit of her friend back. Seeing Sora being so willing to hold onto Biyomon even when she was in so much pain was touching and it was nice how that allowed to get Biyomon to Mega Evolve. I wasn't expecting more Digimon to reach their Mega forms, but that was cool and allowed for a pretty neat action scene. Both Taichi and Yamato were confused over Sora seemingly being okay. The conflict isn't really resolved per say as the Digimon don't have their memories back yet, but Sora was able to connect back with Biyomon and that was enough for now.

I was not expecting the big cliffhanger ending with Gennai seemingly killing Meiko in order to get Meicoomon to destroy the world. Obviously, Meiko is fine. They wouldn't kill off a prominent human character, especially when we're not close to the finale yet. It was an unexpected way to end the movie though. I really liked the ending theme itself. It had an upbeat tone, cute visuals and some nice lyrics. It's one of my favorite ending themes from this series thus far.

Overall, the movie was kind of underwhelming. It was still pretty good, but it felt like there was a lot less plot and character progression here compared to the other movies. Despite being the main focus, Sora's storyline felt pretty minimal and not nearly as powerful as the other characters' subplots in previous movies. It might have been a bit trickier for them to balance out the screentime here when there wasn't a way to focus on just a couple of characters while the others are doing their own things, or at least not like what they've done with the other movies. Before, characters could be at their own homes, but here, they had to keep the characters relatively close together and even when they were separated, they were brought back pretty quick. That might have made it more difficult for them to balance out the screentime and make a clearer complete part of the story. The slower pace might have been a factor too, but that was a reasonable choice given how intense the previous movie was and how they needed to get the Digimon to bond with the kids again.

I was pleasantly surprised that they didn't restore the memories of the Digimon by the end of the movie. I expected them to do that after I first saw the poster, but I'm glad that they didn't do that. I think it helped to make the Digimon's growing connection to the Chosen Children and the rekindling of their bonds much more emotionally effective and meaningful without all of their memories restored. That emotional aspect of the movie was great and it's easily the best part of this installment. Even before the Digimon started to Mega Evolve, there were signs during the movie that their bonds were still within them, like with Tentomon wondering why he was calling out for Koushiro so much and even Biyomon was shocked over Sora crying after being completely indifferent towards her for most of the movie. I'm sure that they'll still find some way to restore their memories and that's okay since it won't be such a simple and easy solution. I just think it was a good choice to not immediately undo the emotional sacrifice from the previous movie and it helped to make the emotional core of this movie even stronger.

This movie might work out better upon a rewatch, especially when the series wraps up, but it's easily the weakest out of the four movies for me. It just didn't have nearly as much good character moments or plot developments as the other movies and lacked that engaging hook that made me really eager to keep watching and to see the next movie.

12. zoombie

Okay my thoughts

The first five minutes that flashback, I know it was tragic, it was beautiful, the animation and the music, it could have been a great short film. Sometimes someone's misery is another person's great art. Though it is anti climatic, after 3 movies, the beginning of the 4th movie we know the adults were former Chosens.

Well it was sad at first to see all the memories gone, but just seeing them all bond again was nice, and made you forget about the situation for a bit, though Biyomon did get my nerves for a bit. There was a part when Sora was on the ground, with Taichi and Yamato in front of her, no one thought of Team 7 in Naruto.

Well we do finally who our main villain, is someone familiar to us, but not he Adventures universe and Yggdrasil. And how did Gennai turn evil like that? Well I am sure we will find out, but I wouldn't drink from tea from him again. Though I wish we got more of a reaction from Koushiro, he and Gennai were close back in the original Adventures, I thought he would be a little more emotionally about that.

And Hackmon is in this one, a Digimon Universe character is in the movie. Speaking of which, Nishijama you are not a bad person, but trying to hit on someone when they are in such a emotional state, not cool. And was I right Himekawa and her being a former Choosen and her motivation, called it.

I am going to make another prediction, by the end of this series, not well we have to fight Meiccomon, but I think Meiko she is going to turn, I don't know how, but Yggdrasil is going to turn into like a Digimon Empress or something. And you have an excuse in at the end when she was in trouble, the others forgot about her. If I can reference another Toei series, I think before we deal with Yggdrasil, we have to deal with eveil Meiko and Meiccomon, we could have a Black Lady situation here. But that is just my prediction, a corrupted dark Meiko could look awesome.

Anyway great movie, can't wait for the next one.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Given how they seem to be bringing back the original Chosen Children, I wouldn't be surprised if the black ball one of the Dark Masters put into Gennai in that flashback turned out to be the reason why he's suddenly evil.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure he was just trying to comfort Himekawa during her time of grief rather than simply hitting on her. He was shocked that she agreed to his offer, so it's not like he was thinking of just hitting on her. He saw his friend going through some potentially unhealthy ways of grieving and wanted to help by offering her emotional support through dating, or at least that's how I took the scene.

Also, another reason why I felt that this movie was so weak was due to the padding. There was padding in the other movies too, but they generally worked more in favor of the storylines or providing some breathers from the action. This felt like they were just struggling to have enough content for a full money. There might have also been some budget cuts given the still frame montage when the group split up, which I still say should have been animated, a couple of weak transitions within some of the individual parts and how much time the evolution transformation sequences took. It's always nice to see the Digimon evolving in this series, but it felt like it took up way too much time during this movie.

14. DCVSMARVEL1996

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

I'm a huge fan of Digimon, so love Digimon Adventure Tri. 4: Sousitsu, and so love the amazing action and epic "save two worlds" plot/storyline:D.

My thoughts:

The plot/storyline was great/interesting on this mysterious virus infecting the Digimon, much worse than the Black Gears.

Cool seeing the original awesome DigiDestined heroes Tai, Kari, Sora, Matt/TK, Izzy, Mimi, and Joe and their great Digimon partners Agumon, Salamon, Gabumon, Biyomon, Palmon, Tentomon, and Gomamon.Biyomon being so got on my nerves with the new terrible unlikable bratty jerky behavior change for poor Sora, but I'm glad she changed and became likable to protect Sora.

Both Meiko/Meicoomon, Daigo, Maki, and Hackmon were great interesting new characters, Evil Meicoomon was pretty cool/deadly.

Cool seeing their awesome Digimon friends like Leomon/Elecmon.

Both Yggdrasil, Maki Himekawa, and Evil Gennai were my favorite awesome interesting movie villains next to Hoopa Unbound/Alva, Joyrock/Gaizno, Count Butler/Z/Gild Tesoro, Love Machine, and Dame Dedtime:D, cool to see Yggdrasil, Maki Himekawa the ultimate evil and a Digimon, along with Gennai gone to the darkside was interesting/surprising.

The action was so awesome while its cool to see the Digimon partners' awesome Digivolved forms.

Awesome that it got dubbed, cool to see the awesome returning dub voice cast, Joshua Seth, Mona Marshall, Philece Sampler, and Vic Mignogna returning is so awesome.Matt, Kari, and Gatomon getting new voices, I'll miss Lara Miller's awesome role for Kari, loved her roles as Juniper Lee, Lisa Loud, Nami(Takato's teacher), Heruka(Daigunder), Sherrice, Haul(Rave Master), Koko(Zatch Bell!), and Misao(Lucky Star), mostly a fan of her awesome voice acting career, and Kate Higgins as Gatomon, cool, loved her other roles as Megumi(Zatch Bell!), Karin(Bleach), and C.C.:D

#375 Radical, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  16. DCVSMARVEL1996

[​IMG]

That Maki Himekawa and Daigo Nishijima was original DigiDestined but they didn't tell what year that was after

1995 when Tai and Kari first time meet Botamon from Digimon Adventure Movie

1999 Tai's group of 8 DigiDestined from Digimon Adventure Episodes 1 to 54

2000 Tai's group of 8 DigiDestined from Digimon Adventure Movie 2.

2002 New DigiDestined is Davis's group and another new international Digidestined from Digimon Adventure 02 Episodes 1 to 50 and Movie 3.

2003 original DigiDestined Tai's group of 8 DigiDestined and new DigiDestined Davis's group of 4 DigiDestined from Digimon Adventure 02 Movie 4

2005 New DigiDestined is Meiko Mochizuki from Digimon Adventure tri.

2027 New group of 12 or 13 DigiDestined.

17. DCVSMARVEL1996

I was thinking about what year that DigiDestined was met partners Digimon first place from past on this list?

What year that Ken Ichijouji was met Wormmon first place from past?
    What year that Michael was met Betamon first place from past?
    What year that Willis was met Terriermon and Kokomon first place from past?
    What year that Yukio Oikawawas met Datirimon first place from past?
    What year that Meiko Mochizuki was met Meicoomon first place from past?
    What year that Maki Himekawa was met Tapirmon first place from past?
    What year that Daigo Nishijima was met LoaderLiomon first place from past?
    What year that Unnamed girl was met Orochimon first place from past?
    What year that Unnamed boy was met Triceramon first place from past?
    What year that Unnamed boy was met Hippogriffomon first place from past?

Just like another DigiDestined was met partners Digimon first place from future on this list

Tai Kamiya and Kari Kamiya met Botamon

Tai Kamiya met Agumon
    Matt Ishida met Gabumon
    Sora Takenouchi met Biyomon
    Mimi Tachikawa met Palmon
    Izzy Izumi met Tentomon
    Joe Kido met Gomamon
    T.K. Takaishi met Patamon
    Kari Kamiya met Gatomon

Davis Motomiya met Veemon
    Yolei Inoue met Hawkmon
    Cody Hida met Armadillomon
    Phil met Flarerizamon
    Tatum met Airdramon
    Maria met Centarumon
    Steve met Frigimon
    Lou met Tortomon
    Poi Brothers met three Syakomon
    Yue Hong met Apemon
    Mina met Meramon
    Dien met Gorillamon
    Derek met Crabmon
    Unnamed Australian DigiDestined met Bukamon, Divermon, and two Gizamon
    Catherine Deneuve met Floramon

Unnamed French DigiDestined met Elecmon, two Gotsumon, two Gazimon, Vegiemon and two Vilemon

Rosa met Gotsumon
    Unnamed Mexican DigiDestined met Unnamed Digimon
    Yuri met Kuwagamon
    Sonya met Snimon
    Anna met Unimon
    Unnamed Siberian DigiDestined met Frigimon
    Noriko Kawada met Punimon
    Keiko Kurata met YukimiBotamon
    Takashi Yoshizawa met Poyomon
    Hiroshi Shibata met Nyokimon
    Unnamed Japanese DigiDestined met Three YukimiBotamon, Two Punimon, Two Botamon, Yuramon and Pabumon

Tai Kamiya's son met Koromon
    Matt Ishida and Sora Takenouchi's 2 children met Tsunomon and Yokomon
    Izzy Izumi's daugter met Motimon
    Michael and Mimi Tachikawa's son met Tanemon
    Joe Kido's son met Bukamon
    T.K. Takaishi's son met Tokomon
    Kari Kamiya's son met Salamon
    Davis Motomiya'son met DemiVeemon
    Ken Ichijouji and Yolei Inoue's children met Leafmon, Minomon and Poromon
    Cody Hida's dughter met Upamon

18. DCVSMARVEL1996

I have something forgot ask you something.

You remember T.K. Takaishi, Kari Kamiya, Davis Motomiya, Yolei Inoue, Cody Hida and Ken Ichijouji was wear on this picture in Digimon Adventure 02 when they go to Digital World?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

In Digimon Adventure Tri Reunion I see Davis Motomiya, Yolei Inoue, Cody Hida and Ken Ichijouji from begin and they same wear from Digimon Adventure 02.

But in Digimon Adventure Tri Confession I see T.K. Takaishi and Kari Kamiya not wear from Digimon Adventure 02 when they go to Digital World and they wear normal school uniform.

Also in future when T.K. Takaishi, Kari Kamiya, Davis Motomiya, Yolei Inoue, Cody Hida and Ken Ichijouji grow up adult and they got married and children in Digimon Adventure 02.

I see Ken Ichijouji are same wear is school uniform from 2002.

But I see T.K. Takaishi, Kari Kamiya, Davis Motomiya, Yolei Inoue and Cody Hida not wear from 2002 then they are wear normal clothes.

So I don't understand why look different something weird.

19. DCVSMARVEL1996

20. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

• Informative Informative x 1