"Death of Superman" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Almost feels like Liu is taking over as the director of the Animated Feature line as a whole, aside from the occasional Bruce Timm film...

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, I don't know what the term is -- maybe house director? -- that Liu has taken the role vacated after Oliva left. Directing so many implies that was the transition point and perhaps Castorena will be the 2nd director for the line moving forward like how it was Oliva and Liu for a time. And thus Castorena might be directing the 2nd or 3rd 2019 movie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. juan1193

juan1193 Member

So is this stand alone? Or does it take place in the established DCAMU? I mean they have enough characters intriduced to connect it to the other films, so I'm curious if they will.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

We don't know that yet. It probably won't be awhile until we do. It was a surprise Liu revealed his involvement this early on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My guess is we'll learn more in two months from now, when the Suicide Squad movie gets released.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pfeiffer mentioned that there has been some teasing to it being in-continuity, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Who would've expected that Steel cameo from Thrones of Atlantis would bear fruition three years later :p?

7. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Wouldn’t it be awesome if this could have been made in the DCAU, use Justice League designs, original voice actors (George Newbern, Clancy Brown, Dana Delaney, and Michael Jai White.) Maybe have it take place after JLU or something)... why not use the DCAU?
    **The current DCAMU crew could do an amazing feature, (of course if BT is involved in anything DCAU, it’s usually better that way,) but even still, there is no financial, logistical, business, or other reason NOT to still use the DCAU.
    If anything that would even boost sales (well IMO it would.) lol

Kallum

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

I think it's an exact adaptation to the comic. We will see the JLI with Superman fighting against Doomsday and then at the funeral to all the heroes of that era!

• Like Like x 1
  9. juan1193

juan1193 Member

I have my doubts. Seems more logicial to tie it in to the DCAMU, which is why I asked if it was set in that universe.

On a side note though, I think it'd be funny to see the JLI get there butts handed to them fairly easily by Doomsday...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though it's equally possible that the two films (this and Reign of the Supermen) are standalones that do not take place in either continuity.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's possible that it might be a standalone, but I'm just getting this gut feeling that it might be in the animated continuity, along with all the teases to that effect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Well-Known Member

I'll repost this:

The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen
    might be apart of the continuity line.

O'Mara is definitely popping up again as alluded to in Miereanu's recent tweet... (7+ films).

Plus, in this interview from NYCC '17 Tucker talks (@4:30) about how they are doing The Death of Supermanand having the world set up makes it easier to introduce other characters (such as The Eradicator). Something you are not really afforded in a standalone 75 minute movie.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be nice, but I'd much rather see a new story if they were ever to revisit the DCAU. Admittedly they never actually adapted "The Death of Superman", but elements from it were used at times.

I would like for this (and its sequel) to be stand-alone, but having them in the New52 Animated continuity would probably be the most logical way to do it. Plus, it might bring back more of the seldom seen members of the League (like Martian Manhunter), or develop John Henry Irons' arc. It's a little funny, but I think I would watch this more for the supporting characters than for Superman himself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it would be nice to see this in the current continuity if only to expand on and develop Superman and his world which we've only really gotten glimpses of in the movies so far :).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Agree Agree x 1