"Deadpool" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, May 10, 2017.

1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones fan-man
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm of the mind that any Marvel character can be used in all-ages animation if they're used well (Punisher, Deadpool, Blade, Jessica Jones, etc) but it would be a lot trickier if they're supposed to be the main protagonist. With Deadpool, I think you can tone down the language and anything sexual but if you tone the violence and the regeneration down too much, you would end up with something that's not completely Deadpool.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Sure they can. But they won't ;) .

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

While I completely agree with Rick Jones, I think that it also comes down more than just the violence.

In an all ages cartoon, could Deadpool kidnap a blind woman and lock her up in a room full of sharp objects?
    Could he torture information out of bad guys?
    Could he try to cheer his daughter up by cutting his own finger off?
    Could he take an advantage of a woman, who has an unhealthy obsession of him?

I know that some of my examples are slightly related to him being a violent character, but it all ultimately comes down to him being a mentally unstable person who probably shouldn't be around other people. And we are not talking about being unstable same way like, say, Bugs Bunny or other zany cartoon characters are. Sure, you could always tone him down and just make him slapsticky goofball, who never kills anyone on-screen, if you wanted have him in all ages cartoon, but would that character be Deadpool anymore?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

He could still be "violent" in an all ages cartoon. All they have to do is leave out the blood and gore and have certain violent scenes happen off camera. This has been done before numerous times in all ages action/adventure cartoons in the past.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Freddy is arguing that it isn't just the violence that makes Deadpool Deadpool. It's the mental instability and debauchery. That makes the character completely inappropriate for children. Marvel would do better making kiddie cartoons with kiddie characters.

6. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Remember, before Marvel (the comics publishing division) started labeling and aiming Deadpool (and Wolverine and Punisher) at a very narrow and shrinking aging readership, DP was a layered all ages character aimed at all ages. DP comics were CCA approved layered all ages comics and he was still portrayed as an unstable psycho. All of that debauchery stuff (along with DP being married and having a kid) was stuff that was added to the character years after Marvel started aiming the character squarely at older teens and adults. Also, whether fans want to admit or not, the fact remains that the MARVEL UNIVERSE characters were originally created for and aimed at ALL AGES, not at adults.

7. WebMasterSage

WebMasterSage Obey the Pecking Order.

It's pretty sad that this show is cancelled. Donald Glover was on fire and yet, it went out like water putting out a fire.

Hopefully it can be resurrected.