DC Super Hero Girls "Super Hero High" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Mar 19, 2016.

?

Rate The DC Super Hero Girls Animated TV Special!

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

40.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Discuss the TV Special spinning out of the DC Super Hero Girls initiative .

[​IMG]

Debut:
    March 19, 2016; 10 am Eastern on Boomerang
    Encores: March 25, 2016 at 6 pm Eastern on Boomerang and March 28, 2016 at 8 pm Eastern on Boomerang

Synopsis: At Super Hero High, iconic Super Heroes like Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Bumblebee, Poison Ivy, and Katana navigate all the twists and turns of high school in their formative years. United by friendship, the DC Super Hero Girls empower kids to shine with confidence and courage, especially while they combat those overwhelming, exciting, and awesomely awkward moments of growing up (sometimes super powers can be super stressful!).

Aspiring Super Heroes can check out our exclusive web series for the full scoop on what life is like inside the walls of Super Hero High School. In the spring of 2016, the DC Super Hero Girls will come to life with a line of action dolls, figures and accessories, books, play sets and so much more. If that doesn’t have you bursting at the seams of your cape, remember that the world of Metropolis is at your fingertips here on the website - play, explore, read and....Get Your Cape On! It’s time to meet the DC Super Hero Girls!

TV Special #1 "Super Hero High!"
    Super Hero High is buzzing with excitement over new student, Supergirl. But when Supergirl crash lands into the cafeteria, it's evident that though she has incredible power, she has a long way to go before she becomes a Super Hero. Too intimidated by the other supers to ask them for assistance, Supergirl turns to helpful I.T. girl, Barbara Gordon. Barbara takes Supergirl under her wing and introduces her to the sweet, old librarian, Granny Goodness. As Barbara helps Supergirl learn to harness her powers, Wonder Woman joins them and becomes a mentor and friend to Supergirl. Meanwhile, the Junior Detective Club (The Flash, Bumblebee and Hawkgirl) investigates a mysterious rash of security breaches centered around the teleportation "Boom Tubes." Could it all be because of reformed Super-Villain and Super Hero High Vice-Principal Gorilla Grodd - or something far worse?

Discuss this TV Special!

See Also
    *News & Discussion
    *Webisode Talkback
    *Novel Talkback

2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Super Hero High

Writer: Shea Fontana

Date: March 19, 2016

DC Super Hero Girls has done pretty well as a web series, and here we have proof that the TV specials can work pretty well too. This special follows Supergirl as she enrolls in Super Hero High, but she doesn't have full control of her powers. Not only that, Granny Goodness takes over the school and tries to take the Amethyst, leaving Supergirl and Barbara Gordon to save the day. The main thing I like about the special is Supergirl herself. Besides having to adjust to her new home, she also lives in the shadow of her cousin Superman, making her quite sympathetic. It helps that she actually does get better as the special goes on, especially in resourcefulness. I like Barbara's dedication to helping her out, and since their friendship is built up well, it makes their team up a lot more fun to watch and justified. Granny Goodness is definitely a very interesting villain. Beneath her nice exterior, she's quite manipulative, cunning, and intelligent, which is awesome. The action is pumped up to 12 here, and the humor is very well done. The best part about the special is the double moral on having self confidence and not having to believe that you have to live up to other people's expectations. There are also a few little surprises here. All in all, I'd say we have one great special on our hands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the special was a lot fun and really enjoyable. Probably my biggest issue with the webisodes is their length and how quickly they go by, but here there was plenty of time for action, comedy, some fun character interaction, and just in general seeing more characters in the spotlight. It was also nice to see more involved story going on as we see Super Hero High take on Apokalypse and Darkseid's forces. I really hope we get to see more specials in the future :D.

The special also had an extended version of the opening, which was cool, featuring more sequences with other characters like Starfire, Killer Frost, Hawkgirl, Miss Martian, Catwoman, Lady Shiva, Cheetah, and Star Sapphire ;).

It was nice to finally see Supergirl make her debut and play a big role in the special as the central character. I felt her conflict of learning to control her powers after only just discovering them, compared to Superman having had his whole life to master them, and trying to do her best while not hurting people was handled fairly well in the story :).

The special did a good job of developing Kara from an endearingly cute klutz, played well by Anais Fairweather, to a more strong, confident Superhero, even if she made quite a few mistakes along the way and unknowingly played a big part in helping the real villain with her plans, but in the end the Girl of Steel proved she has the right stuff to be a hero by proving integral to saving the day :cool:.

And alongside that development was Kara's developing friendship with Barbara, which I really liked and thought was done quite well, and how that led to Kara helping Babs discover her own Super-self and that she has the stuff to be a Superhero...enter Batgirl. It was also nice to see more of Barbara, and getting to better understand how smart, compassionate,innovative, and courageous she is. She also had some of the best lines in the special :proud:.

Surprise cameo of the day goes to Jim Gordon (played by Tom Kenny of all people), doting father and all-around cool dad, who accepts Barbara joining the school as Batgirl in-spite of his worry for her safety. I was kinda expecting Babs would enroll at the school as Batgirl and keep it a secret from her dad, giving the show a chance to implement a secret identity dynamic into things, but that's evidentially not going to be the case :oops:.

I like the touch that Supergirl turned her room into a mini-Fortress of Solitude and that Barbara's tech office was almost like a mini-Batcave.

It was interesting seeing some actual Supervillains in the special, from common crooks like Killer Croc and Giganta to the Furies and Granny Goodness, who I thought made an effective villain for this special. It was a little weird seeing Croc and Giganta require so many heroes to beat them, but given our main cast are all still just kids and that good teamwork is also important when it comes to being a Superhero, I can see where that worked from a story standpoint.

It was weird hearing Granny with an actual female voice after all the years of Ed Asner playing the role, but I thought April Stewart did a great job in the role, using a typical "sweet old granny" voice while giving it a sinister twist once Granny's true allegiance is revealed :evil:.

The special demonstrated how it can sometimes be a hazard to have long hair during a fight, as Giganta and Shiva had to learn the hard way, though granted Shiva was making some good use of her hair during her fight with Stompa :).

Man, Wonder Woman with her shield was almost full-on Captain America, if Cap could fly or shoot lasers with his shield. I thought it was cool and appropriate that they gave her a showdown with Artemiz of the Furies, given Diana's Greek heritage, and let Diana showcase effectively that she doesn't need her shield to defend herself.

Ugh, Cheeta...first she's too busy fiddling with her phone to fight Croc, then she's rude to Babs for not having any powers, and then she's mean to Supergirl which leads to the accident that hurts Bumblebee , which leads her to act even worse towards Kara. At least she came around at the end and seemed more appreciative to Barbara after her phone helped her against Mad Harriet, but I think she still has a long way to go before she can really call herself a hero :mad:.

I really feel bad for Katana. She's supposed to be in the main cast, and the core six girls, but she doesn't even get a line in the special and her plot relevance amounts to designing Batgirl's costume. Granted, that shows off her creative side, but I hope we start to see her get a bigger presence and do more in future content :(.

Perry the Parademon was so cute it was...disturbing, especially since he's a Parademon! But Granny having a pet Parademon was a neat twist, as was the fact that he could split into a ton of other Parademons.

We get some definite foreshadowing of Barda leaving Darkseid and the Furies behind and joining Super Hero High. Once she's over there, she sees some art at the school and is surprised that the students are actually given the opportunity to express their creativity, and before she and the rest of the Furies are carted off to juvie at Belle Reve, she also picks up a brochure for the school. I wonder Barda joining the student body will be covered in season 2 of the webisodes or the next special? Either way, looking forward to seeing Barda again and watching her story develop :anime:.

Is anyone else worried about the old lady in Florida who now has a chunk of Kryptonite :sweat:?

I feel bad for Parasite that he has to clean up all that destruction. It doesn't pay to be a janitor at a Superhero school :p.

Also some nice world-building elements:

- Supergirl's rocket from Krypton landed four weeks before the special and she's being taken care of by "Aunt" Martha and "Uncle" Jonathan, voiced by none other then Helen Slater and Dean Cain, who also play her adoptive parents on the current live-action Supergirl on CBS.

- There's a Korugar Academy that's apparently a very prestigious school in this universe. If Sinestro is at all involved with that school, I can only imagine what they're teaching those kids :eek:.

- Gorilla Grodd is a former Supervillain and once led an army of Gorilla's on Central City before being stopped, and his job with Super Hero High is part of a work-release that Waller had a hand in. While he doesn't have the best temperament, he seems committed to his job and reforming, and even took an arrow for Batgirl. It also seems like there's a bit of tension between him and Flash. I wonder why?

- From the view outside Supergirl's dorm room, you can see the Daily Planet, maybe STAR Labs, and potentially some other notable DCU buildings.

- Giganta can be seen robbing an "Eclipso Jewels," which knowing this universe is probably owned and run by the actual Eclipso.

- Liberty Belle has written a book on superheroing. A sign that the JSA might be a thing in this universe?

- Super Hero High has a secure room filled with Boom Tubes to locations such as Skatarsis, Korugar, Atlantis, Apokalypse, and Florida.

- First appearances (I believe) of Supergirl, Barbara as Batgirl, and Lady Shiva as students at Super Hero High, Wildcat as the gym teacher, Parasite as the school janitor, and Granny Goodness as a Librarian and secret agent of Darkseid, Commissioner Gordon, Supervillains Killer Croc and Giganta, and the Female Furies Big Barda, Mad Harriet, Stompa, Artemiz, and Speed Queen.

For anyone curious about the voice cast:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #3 Frontier, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Hmm, Tani Gunadi as Shiva... I like it, I don't know why but I do. She sounds like a much younger Kelly Hu.

Also, Misty Lee as Big Barda, not bad. And I'll be honest, I thought April Stewart as Granny sounded somewhat like Russi Taylor.

All in all I'd like to hear more from them as these characters. Now some fan casts.

. Ashly Johnson - Mary Marvel
    . Kari Wahlgren - Huntress
    . Laura Bailey - Black Canary
    . Khary Payton - Cyborg (Reprisal
    . Stephanie Lemelin - Artemis/Arrowette
    . Eric Lopez - Blue Beetle (Reprisal)

• Like Like x 1
    #4 Troy Troodon, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I do wonder whether that red Artemis is supposed to be Artemis or Speedy?

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

From what we've seen in the webisodes, the Daily Planet, STAR Labs, and Wayne Enterprises are right next to the school.

The first novel revealed she's a teacher at SSH.

Lady Shiva and Wildcat have background cameo(s) in the webisodes. Wildcat has a feature role in the first novel. Parasite first appeared in the first novel. Commissioner Gordon was mentioned to be a teacher at SSH in the first novel. WW wanted to take his course next semester.

I think it's the Mia Dearden Speedy in a red version of Young Justice's Artemis' character design. Like Lady Shiva, she only had background cameos in the webisodes so it's hard to say.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So, confirmed faculty at Super Hero High (Feel free to add to this Yojimbo):

- Amanda Waller, school principal.

- Gorilla Grodd, vice-principal.

- Commissioner Gordon, instructor for an unknown subject.

- Crazy Quilt, Supersuit instructor.

- Lucius Fox, weaponomics instructor.

- Wildcat, gym teacher.

- Red Tornado, field instructor

- Liberty Belle, instructor for an unknown subject.

- Granny Goodness (formerly), school librarian.

- Parasite, school janitor.

So that's 4 traditional villains, 1 traditional anti-villain, and five heroic figures employed at the school. Seems like a fairly even roster ;).

I just realized Parasite makes sense as the school janitor because he "absorbs" things like a mop or sponge absorbs dirt :p.

#7 Frontier, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  8. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Actually I forgot about something to critique...

Tom Kenny as James Gordon?! Really?! I can see Jeff Bennett, Phil LaMarr, Wally Wingert, or even Fred Tatasciore playing him, but Tom?!

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, for what it's worth, he's already in the cast as Crazy Quilt and, while I was surprised as you were, I think he did a reasonable job here :).

10. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Liberty Belle is a history teacher. Her course name in the first novel is "Heroes Throughout History"

Barbara was the I.T. girl.

Dr. Jeremiah Arkham is the school's psychiatrist, WW had sessions with him in first novel

Commissioner Gordon teaches "Forensics and Law Enforcement and You"

Professor Magnus' very own on-site Metal Man Factory is located at SSH but it's said what his official position is in the first novel. They used his robots for training for a triathlon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. joltman

joltman Member

Is this available to stream or buy digitally anywhere? My girls want to see this but I don't have Boomerang.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

No, it isn't unfortunately. Soon hopefully. It would be a step back if they don't take advantage of the Internet medium they utilized from the start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Harley16

Harley16 New Member

I'm guessing there is still no link or place to watch the special . Maybe tomorrow I guess since the past webisodes where all released on Thursdays .

14. jaylop97

jaylop97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just watched the special and I thought it was pretty good, what I liked the most was seeing how they made the villains heroes, like Harley, Gorilla Grodd, and Ivy. But I still felt that beast Boy was not to different from his Teen Titans Go version though was tweaked from that I got to say.

As for Kara It was nice to see how she managed to get ahead from her anxiety at first of being a new student, her friendship with Barbara was really well formed she was great for giving her the confidence to lose her nervousness, and for Grodd it was really innocent to see others fearing him for his past villain status but glad they were able to get pass that.

Granny on the other hand was really cool to see her at first helpful then antagonistic, she really had quite the secret of trying to frame Grodd, and return the legion of Apokalypse back and take over the schools heroes, but lucky for them Barbara and Kara removed the hypnosis, and WW, SG and BG managed to save the day for teaming up. Likewise good to see things got settled from there on.

Overall it was a great special it did well on most parts and was pretty heroic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, even the first two Ever After High movie/specials were made available to watch free on their YouTube channel. Hopefully Netflix will pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The DC Super Hero Girls TV Special airs today on Cartoon Network at 8:00AM ET! Check it out!

[​IMG]
    DC Super Hero Girls "Super Hero High!"
    Air Date - May 30th, 2016 (Cartoon Network - Network Premiere)
    Original Air Date - March 19th, 2016 (Boomerang)
    Produced and Directed by: Jennifer Coyle
    Written by: Shea Fontana

Synopsis: Super Hero High is buzzing with excitement over new student, Supergirl. But when Supergirl crash lands into the cafeteria, it's evident that though she has incredible power, she has a long way to go before she becomes a Super Hero. Too intimidated by the other supers to ask them for assistance, Supergirl turns to helpful I.T. girl, Barbara Gordon. Barbara takes Supergirl under her wing and introduces her to the sweet, old librarian, Granny Goodness. As Barbara helps Supergirl learn to harness her powers, Wonder Woman joins them and becomes a mentor and friend to Supergirl. Meanwhile, the Junior Detective Club (The Flash, Bumblebee and Hawkgirl) investigates a mysterious rash of security breaches centered around the teleportation "Boom Tubes." Could it all be because of reformed Super-Villain and Super Hero High Vice-Principal Gorilla Grodd - or something far worse?

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

• Like Like x 1
  17. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well I knew the Grod was a red hairing. But Granny Goodness, well as she been in the series before as a background character. So this is how Batgirl started, I always that though season 1 was Barbara had a secret identity, but nope and even her dad knows.

Is Supergirl and Batgirl going to be the new main, now that Wonder Woman's arc is concluded?

Who else was rooting for the green haired villain when she was fighting Cheeta or whatever the mean girl's name is, though the ending she might mellow out a bit.

And what did that girl grab some academy secret, or an application which implies she could be enrolling in the future?

• Like Like x 1
    #17 zoombie, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Seems that way. Season 1 of the webisodes was about WW and season 2 is about Supergirl and Batgirl.

Mad Harriet. Yeah, I chuckled when she got stuffed in the locker.

Big Barda. Yeah, it was one of Super Hero High's brochures. That indeed seems to be the implication. It's a similar arc to her classic comic book origin. I'm thinking Barda might be the focus of season 3 and Lisa Yee's third novel.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I hope we check in on her soon, both to see Barda again and progress that plot, but also get some more insight into Belle Reve and who else is locked up there o_O.

I wonder if Mr. Miracle is attending Superhero High? Having him there would probably make Barda's choice of school easier :).

20. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Interesting, could be very awkward, could be like when Gajeel joined Fairy Tail, took a little time for the others to accept him and trust him.

#20 zoombie, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016