'"DC Nation" Programming Block' News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

Cartoon Network's schedule has been updated. Looks like next weeks shorts are Teen Titans (11) - Stream of Consciences, and Superman of Tokyo 2. In two weeks are Animal Man 1 - Bank Robbery, Animal Man 2 - Train, and SBFF 5 - Time Waits for No Girl. Not sure exactly what the numbers mean. Are there really at least 11 Teen Titans shorts?

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess New Teen Titans has at least 11 shorts and CN decided to air them out of order (what a surprise... not). How odd they're airing two Animal Man shorts but that's a boon, imo. I think in past articles, they NTT only said 5 or 6 shorts.

EDIT: An IGN article revealed Tom Peyer worked on Doom Patrol and the Atom shorts are based on the "Sword of the Atom" mini. Both will be solemn in tone.

#482 Yojimbo, Mar 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2012
  3. Hero Supreme

According to this forum post, which looks legit (and the current CN schedule), here is the upcoming schedule of shorts:

March 31, New Teen Titans Teen Titans - Stream of Consciences / Superman of Tokyo 2
    April 7, 2012 - Animal Man - Bank Robbery / Animal Man - Train / S.B.F.F. - Time Waits for No Girl
    April 14, 2012 - DC's World's Funnest 4
    April 21, 2012 - Plastic Man - Boobtube / New Teen Titans - Turn Back the Clock
    April 28, 2012 - S.B.F.F. - Grounded

4. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is Cartoon Network's upfronts, right? Hope we get some more info about future DC Nation stuff!

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

James Harvey's news item confirms it. The noteworthy thing is that "Turn Back the Clock" short of New Teen Titans is labeled as #20. How many shorts did they get?!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's late afternoon tomorrow.

6. RoryWilliams

At the upfronts today, Beware the Batman was confirmed for the 2012-2013 season, as were Young Justice and Green Lantern.

Is this more or less confirmation that the block will expand to an hour and a half?

7. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I'd guess more that if YJ is renewed beyond the next season it just allows them to have shows they can rotate
    to always have something new in the block. If a show only has 13 to 26 new episodes a year and it's a weekly programming block, it just seems like it'd be a good idea to have something new more often than not.

8. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Yes, I'd count on rotation.

Good news though the ratings have improved over the previous two weeks. Last Saturday GL got 2.1 with 6-11 and YJ got 2.0 so both are doing decently.

9. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

GL got more than YJ?! That's surprising considering most people prefer YJ over GL. I guess kids don't agree.

10. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord Active Member

YES, there's still hope in the universe!!! =P

I kid, I kid. Both are great shows. :)

11. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

If watching the animated series washes away the sins of the livea action film, then may it even do exceptionally well. It is great to hear that both shows are doing well.

Also, I really want to laugh when shows like YJ are considered childrens television. The audience is more likely not 6-12 but more like 15-40. I bet the same age group that watches Family Guy and Futurama are watching YJ, except one show is considered childrens television.

12. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Teen Titans was very successful for Cartoon Network and a lot of fans are happy to see it back, even in the form of chibi-style shorts, so no surprise that there are (hopefully) at least 20 shorts for it.

Does anyone know what the running time is for each New Teen Titans short?

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

"Burp" from November 11, 2011 ran for about 30 seconds.

"Wrong Belt" from earlier this month ran about 1 minute, 15 seconds.

14. Hero Supreme

The schedule has been updated:

April 7, 2012 - Animal Man - Bank Robbery / Animal Man - Train / S.B.F.F. - Time Waits for No Girl
    April 14, 2012 - Mad Presents: Green Care Bear / DC's World's Funnest 4
    April 21, 2012 - Plastic Man - Boobtube / New Teen Titans - Turn Back the Clock
    April 28, 2012 - S.B.F.F. - Grounded

Edit: Here is a sneak peek of the Green Care Bear for those that haven't seen it.

[​IMG]

15. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Not necessarily. If ATH is talking about these ratings

Wouldn't YJ's 2.0/8 technically be better than GL's 2.1/9, since YJ would be getting 25% of their target demo and GL would be getting 23% of theirs?

16. RoryWilliams

17. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

So I really feel the need to compare and contrast DC Nation vs Marvel Universe.

In my eyes, I think DC Nation came out stronger and more fleshed out then Marvel Universe, but frankly, I'm really liking what Marvel Universe is doing a lot more then DC Nation. I think everyone who posted in the Marvel Universe thread agrees it needs a lot of fine tuning, but I like the elements they have there more.

With DC Nation, we're getting little shorts and I really have to admit, besides the Teen Titans skis, I tend to zone out most of the shorts or go do something else while they're on. They just don't interest me as a whole.

However, on the Marvel Universe end, I'm finding there "how to be a hero" spotlights very interesting and very innovative. More importantly, they are giving us character profiles of characters the fans might not know a lot about to help build their popularity.

So in contrast, I feel like Marvel Universe is doing more to support their shows through the bumpers / skits where DC Nation is seemingly trying to hard to engage different audiences that are outside the intended target demographics of the shows.

To me, it will be interesting to see what DC Nation does after this run of Green Lantern and Young Justice runs out. To me, it seems like their target is to get through April and May with content. I'd assume no matter what, DC Nation will stick to its format till the end of this run, but I wonder if they might feel the need to shift gears afterwards or continue on as they are. September should be interesting to see what decisions are made.

18. Lanmanna

Lanmanna Member

I haven't had cable since DC Nation started. Would anyone be able to tell me where I could watch the DC Nation shorts legally?

19. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.