DC Digital Service Orders "Harley Quinn" Animated Series

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Jason M

Jason M New Member

Paul Dini should be involved! He created the character!
    I hope they aren’t trying to screw him like DC did to Siegel
    And Shuster for decades over Superman!!!

2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Paul Dini really gets Harley. I mean, "Harley Goes Ape", which he wrote, is my favorite Justice League Action episode so far. Still, I think this show has potential even if he's not even writing for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Now as much as I love Harley as a character I honestly don't think she deserves her own animated series; a movie maybe (Batman and Harley out of the question btw) or even a series of shorts, but a full half hour episode series?! Also from the looks of it, it sounds like they're taking the Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Connor Harley concept, which honestly isn't my favorite interpretation of the character since it seems more like they want Harley to be DC's answer to Deadpool; in fact I'm almost certain this project may well be because of the Deadpool animated series coming to FX.

Now here's my personal pet peeve reading into this, it's just another adult animated comedy! Let's face it, adult animation (at least in western culture) that is primarily comedy based is already a dime in a dozen, and most of projects are just raunchy and crass just for the sake of being raunchy and crass; even Rick and Morty is guilty of that trope.

Do you know what animated adult show I want to see DC and Warner Bros produce?! I want to see an adult Batman animated series, similar to Batman Hush or some of Scott Snyder's stuff, or an animated horror anthology, based on The House of Mystery staring Caine and Able, or an animated Swamp Thing series, or even an adult Superman animated series.

Animation is a medium, and it should be used to tell a wide range of different stories for different audiences of any age, gender or walk of life, but if you just continue making adult comedies, then you're only further implying that animation is a genre because you're just making the same show over and over.

I don't know, I'm not against adult animation, or even adult animated comedies in particular, but this project rubs me the wrong way and I don't exactly know why. Maybe it's because of the Jimmy and Amanda influence, or because it's just another adult comedy, or maybe it's based on my experience watching Batman and Harley Quinn I don't know.

But who knows, maybe it'll still be good, and maybe it won't be too adult and will actually make things funny. We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    #23 Troy Troodon, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  4. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I think it's good that the show is going to be adult animated comedy. Those kind of shows are hot cakes for streaming. Look at the trending on Hulu, you'll always see Rick and Morty, Family Guy, South Park, etc. This is a very smart move for DC imo, I of course just hope that it actually ends up good. But DC has yet to truly disappoint me when it comes to animated tv series.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Troy Troodon

But it still takes away any diversity in genres and only further cements the concept that animation is a genre in of itself, when it's suppose to be an art form.

6. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I can understand they want this streaming service to have comedy as well as action series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I want to say it was from when Register was lecturing at some animation summit back in the day or it was something I wasn't supposed to blab out loud.

EDIT: Oh, just noticed Bernie in that development art.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #27 Yojimbo, Nov 21, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  8. Harlequinn

I don't follow. How is it taking away genre diversity? We're getting two animated series for sure. One is action/more serious and the other is comedy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Troy Troodon

What's the other one?

10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

So how would you categorize Young Justice: Outsiders, smart guy?

11. Troy Troodon

I don't think Young Justice is an adult show, also you don't need to call names.

12. Harlequinn

YJ was already maturely written, and it was announced at SDCC that the new season would skew older on the streaming platform.

13. Troy Troodon

YJ was still kid friendly before then, as for the new season, we'll see.

14. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

No one called Young Justice an adult show, just more serious and action-orientated, both of which are accurate descriptors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

No, he and Timm are always credited as creators in the end credits nowadays. Though I admit I don't know if that was always the case since Harley's first post-JLU appearance -- The Batman I think it was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. element

element Member

Good to know that DC have more in store for us when it comes to their new app, hopefully we finally get an animated series about the Flash down the line, that would be cool. I hope this ends up being decent at least. The art style is really nice, this should be fun.

26 episodes is a good amount of content

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Harlequinn

• Like Like x 5
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

TheHashtagShow has uncovered some cast descriptions.

Joker
    Poison Ivy
    Sy Borgman
    Dr. Psycho
    Malice Vundabar
    King Shark
    Clayface

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For what it's worth, Patrick Schumacker confirmed the character descriptions that have surfaced are accurate.

And reading through some of the replies, he also compares the show to Rick and Morty and mentions they are still in very early writing stages.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It also sounds like Catwoman is very likely to appear, as well as the Harley and Ivy romance :).