DC Digital Service - News and Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Discuss general animation news about the new DC Digital Services digital platform, what series you'd like to see and why - old and new, and what not.

CURRENT ANIMATED SERIES
    • Young Justice: Outsiders

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Yojimbo, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

So how does these streaming shows work????

If I buy the subscription, does that mean I can watch YJ anytime and own the shows OR do I have to watch it on the specific time they put up and has a time limit for me to watch it before they take it out of circulation???

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It'll almost certainly be an on demand stream (though whether it's released all at once is an open question). The "online channel" model is nearly extinct, the last case I'm aware of was the fairly short lived Noen Alley service Viz tried for anime.

Cartoons can run on the same service for years upon years, but if you want to "own" anything you'll want to buy a disc. I have little doubt Warner Archive will pick this up.

YJ S3 may not even be off the table for other services down the line. But if it does turn up on Netflix or someplace else, that'll very likely be after a substantial period of exclusivity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

Could the streaming service lead to a revival of other recently canceled DC cartoons? Green Lantern and Beware the Batman were unfairly cut short. Especially the former since there is no other modern Green Lantern stuff outside of the comics.

5. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

I'm expecting it. They're drawing off of the fandom to make this service successful, I fully expect more "nostalgia" baiting out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm curious if they have plans for more kid-oriented content for the service given Titans and Young Justice are likely to skew older, which YJ always did, and if that will extend to the service in general?

• Like Like x 1
  7. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

CG series like Green Lantern: The Animated Series cost $500,000 an episode to produce, are a pain to make and extraordinarily creatively limited due to having to create each character model from scratch. They're better off simply hiring better directors and animators for a hand drawn series than spending more than half a million per episode for something so restrictive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I imagine the platform could have both adult content and family content.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

With the Titans show and Young Justice season 3 it seems to be skewing older as far audience, but they might announce more variety in content later on :).

• Like Like x 2
  10. bat16

bat16 Member

what if they will finally make and release Justice League Gods and Monsters S2 on the new stream?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Anything in DC's backlog not covered by Netflix or another streaming service would be nice :).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

We're on the same wavelength on this one. :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

WWE Network actually does this and is thriving. It is paired up with on-demand streaming as well though, so you can do either method depending on need.

I'm hoping since there is no mention of subscription specifically that they have a free option, but knowing that they just launched Boomerang as subscription-only makes me think that won't be the case.

I do wonder how this damages Young Justice s3's viewership though. It only got that pickup due to Netflix and demand from viewers there. Are people really gonna bother with yet another (likely) subscription service for just one show they want to see? My opinion is no, they won't. In a lot of cases people may not even be aware of the new service existing cause why would they bother?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bat16

bat16 Member

I think it would be a shame to not tell Gods and Monster's full story. Seems like a Universe full of potential to explore, play with.

maybe a pipe dream but would love to see a new DC animated universe. With numerous animated shows that are all set in the same universe. Marvel has been doing one for what? 4+ years now? While every DC show has been a separate entity since the DCAU ended.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

That's why I think that since CN is doing a sucky job with Justice League Action, they'll probably move it to this new service and renew it for Season 2 there.

In fact, this service may finally give us the types of DC cartoon series we've always wanted: a DC anthology series, A Super Best Friends Forever half hour series (or at the very least Wonder Woman The Animated Series), a proper Teen Titans revival (Season 6 and all that), A Gods and Monsters Season 2, etc. etc.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Young Justice/Earth-16 and Gods and Monsters are prime to be new ongoing animated universe. Both are primed for spin-offs, imo. It would fitting if Bruce Timm is a creative lead since he helped started the modern era with B:TAS then started off the DC Universe DTV line. I'd love to see Timm and co. get another crack at doing Gods and Monsters season 2.

I can imagine a one panel newspaper cartoon of everyone at WBA stepping over each other to get into the 'figurative' vault of shelved pitches at the announcement of DC Digital Services with an o.s. bubble of Register asking if anyone has any ideas.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

You mean: Young Justice: Outsiders.

18. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh, no I gave away season 4. :p

That was a weird Auto-correct. Eh. Thanks for catching that.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So when is the Warner Digital Upfront where we might get some more concrete details about this service and possibly the content?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd love to see revivals of just about any past DC Comics animated series pop up eventually on this new service but that might be asking for too much.

If they don't have too big of a budget for starters, it would be cool if they did some more short-form series for a while. Kind of like a continuation of DC Nation (and finish that "Sword of the Atom" story-line, among others).

"Gods and Monsters" is a solid idea as well, I'd like to see more of that universe since I thought the stuff we saw barely scratched the surface of that world.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1