DC Comics Animation - Blu-ray/DVD/Digital News & Discussion Thread, Part 19 (Spoilers)

• We have upgraded to Xenforo 2. We've decided to open the forums back up while we configure the theme and plugins. Thanks for your patience.

Latest News

May 15, 2008
Ratings
The set looks nice visually, but as i said above, discs being held in pockets means i'm out for now, too impractical for my liking. It's usually a hassle to get the discs in and out and i have read horror stories of similar sets already coming with a number of scratched discs. I just don't want to play that lottery and potentially have to request multiple replacements, even more so because i have to rely on importing them from the US to the EU. I also don't care about Pop Vinyl figures whatsoever. This has been my most awaited release since the start of the HD era and i applaud WB for finally getting around to remastering it. I will gladly buy it when they put out a standard edition eventually. Actually, maybe they will release a more stripped down set in the UK or Germany, it wouldn't be the first time.

Why can't Warner Bros just offer a simple standard edition for Batman: The Complete Animated Series, with decent Blu-ray packaging too? I'm not buying anything that still uses cardboard style book packaging again, and those pop figures are absolutely pointless.
Don't worry, i'm sure they will. This isn't called a limited edition for nothing, and they'll want to make money off the remaster beyond that. This is just for the segment of buyers that is willing to pay a bit more than the average customer. On a side note, i've noticed a trend of including films with limited collector's sets of animated series, which are then dropped for the standard edition release, so they might do the same in regard to B:TAS, but i think most of us already got MOTP and Sub-Zero anyway.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Jul 24, 2007
Ratings
841 4
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
I simply don't get the appeal of Funko Pop's, so they do nothing to entice me. They don't even look design accurate to the series. Weird choice all round.

Why include Phantasm and Sub-Zero, but not Mystery of the Batwoman? If you want it to be complete, you need to go all in. Frankly, even including them seems like a slap in the face to those that already spent money on the Warner Archive Blu-Rays.

A real mixed bag in terms of packaging and ''goodies''... but I'm waiting to see if there will be a non deluxe set or a UK version.

Ahsoka

Jan 7, 2002
Ratings
The Funkos are an odd choice. I've already pre-ordered it but I would've preferred they just left those out and given us a thicker bonus book.

And Pfeiffer-Pfan, I was just about to post that same thing. Why not include Mystery of the Batwoman. Is it because it wasn't remastered? That's still a weak excuse for it not to be included. Hopefully a press release will come out with some more answers.

May 15, 2008
Ratings
Amazon France lists a B:TAS set for 59.99 EUR, which is approx. $70 (Credit to user Scavenger from ResetEra). No image up yet, but this will probably be the standard edition i was hoping for in Europe. Text on the release will likely be only in French, but presumably it willl have an equivalent release in the UK and/or Germany, which i would gladly get over the US LE. I do hope they will still release something like that in the US as well though, just so the US based folks here will have the choice between the LE and a more price-conscious set. Now i'm just crossing my fingers that this EU release will actually have the discs on proper hubs, instead of slid into cardboard pockets. :)

By the way, there isn't a complete breakdown of the contents yet, but Blu-ray.com lists a new featurette:
  • NEW Heart of the Batman - featurette (60 min)

Last edited:

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Ratings
1,193 3
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
WBShop now lists the Batman: The Complete Animated Series" Blu-ray collection, and has both a better shot of the collection and new details on what the set includes.

t-1000717410_0bc14b25-0ffa-44c4-870b-294499bd30c0_1024x1024.jpg

All 109 action-packed episodes (Batman: The Animated Series and The New Batman Adventures) of the critically acclaimed, Emmy-winning series that redefined the Dark Knight with its thematic sophistication, aesthetics, voice acting, and orchestral score, is now in high definition! The Deluxe Limited Edition Blu-ray set comes housed in a beautiful premium lay-flat-book packaging with slipcase, includes 3 Funko figurines of Batman, the Joker, and Harley Quinn, 7 collectible lenticular art cards, 2 bonus discs of fan-favorite animated films, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm and Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero, brand new definitive Batman: The Animated Series making-of documentary, "The Heart of Batman," enhanced content also includes 24 featurettes, as well as introductions to five episodes by producer Bruce Timm, and commentary on 12 episodes by various combinations of the production team.

Press details coming very, very soon...

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Jul 9, 2008
Ratings
399 1
Dream Land
www.defunctzombie.net
Why can't Warner Bros just offer a simple standard edition for Batman: The Complete Animated Series, with decent Blu-ray packaging too? I'm not buying anything that still uses cardboard style book packaging again, and those pop figures are absolutely pointless.
Don't worry, they most likely will release a standard set. You just have to wait a little longer. I believe Batman 66 got the same treatment. As for packaging, well, I can't say they'll be good to us there. But I can say that replacement cases are cheap and there are people out there who make some excellent fan art that you can use for a cover.

Pfeiffer-Pfan

Jul 24, 2007
Ratings
841 4
UK/Ireland
pfeiffer-pfan.tumblr.com
For all the UK/Ireland fans:

HMV has the exclusive rights to Batman: The Animated Series - Limited Deluxe Edition for £80

HMV and Amazon are also offering a no frills version for £60

Frankly, that's a bargain and they'll be region free for anyone looking for a cheaper alternative.

EDIT: Dear Lord... the Deluxe Edition is now sold out, in less than 24 hours. WB are just printing money with this set.

Last edited:

Dusty

Superman.
Nov 15, 2003
Ratings
Metropolis, Earth,
kal-dusty.deviantart.com
The Funkos are an odd choice. I've already pre-ordered it but I would've preferred they just left those out and given us a thicker bonus book.

And Pfeiffer-Pfan, I was just about to post that same thing. Why not include Mystery of the Batwoman. Is it because it wasn't remastered? That's still a weak excuse for it not to be included. Hopefully a press release will come out with some more answers.
MOTB was already animated in HD wasn’t it? Or am I crazy? lol

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apr 23, 2001
Ratings
1,193 3
Toonzone
www.worldsfinestonline.com
Warner Bros. Home Entertain has provided updated details on the forthcoming Batman: The Complete Animated Series collection. The hefty set will now include a digital copy of the remastered animated series. However, the street date for the collection is now October 30, 2018. Click the link below for the all the details and a video clip of the remastered Batman: The Animated Series opening titles.

"Batman: The Animated Series" Blu-ray Adds Digital, First Look Video, Streets 10/30

-batmat-

Nov 10, 2010
Ratings
138 1
Argentina
Well... color me a bit worried... it looks great for the most part but a couple of shots where its supposed to look black, it now looks gray. Especially this one caught me really off guard:

Captura de pantalla 2018-08-28 a la(s) 17.28.39.png Here's the original to compare
Captura de pantalla 2018-08-28 a la(s) 17.33.24.png

GWOtaku

Staff member
Reporter
Feb 21, 2003
Ratings
753 6
Arlington, VA
Jaw, meet floor. The colors will be a highlight of the release. A lot brighter, a lot sharper, and to the extent it's different it's because we're getting the "real" picture as it was drawn. I've seen a lot of older anime benefit massively from HD restoration, and I'd say this release is high up there with them

Feb 8, 2017
Ratings
If anything, this puts me at ease. They only could have gotten those details by going back to the original elements.

If you look at the original production illustrations, they match what we see here.

If I had to guess, the 1990s team darkened the original animation or added some kind of filter for a more vintage, silhouetted look.

Would you trust the restoration team to add those filters digitally? They probably could, but I don't know if it would be a good idea.

It's probably best to accept that this new restoration is its own thing. We'll always have the SD DVDs for pure nostalgia's sake.

btas_painting_01.jpg

Intro_Building_Background.jpg

Well... color me a bit worried... it looks great for the most part but a couple of shots where its supposed to look black, it now looks gray. Especially this one caught me really off guard:

View attachment 197371 Here's the original to compare
View attachment 197381